Sports Direct

Guest neesy111
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

wasn't the boxing hall in the sixties next to the ground called St James Hall

It was indeed. Me Grandad used to go to the match, or the reserves match as they played at SJP alternate Saturday's, and then straight across the road for the wrestling.

Don't know if anyone has seen this on True Faith but apparently the PR company that Ashley has employed to try and attract a sponsor is from Liverpool called Ampersand.  They also put on the contact details should anyone wish to maybe contact them and maybe ask why they want to associate there company with Ashleys brand which can only really be described as "damaged" following the recent courtcase with KK.(for some reason Skirge is in my thoughts regarding anyone from here firing off an email).

The PR company are also apparently refusing to answer calls from the journalists from Thomson House!!

Many thanks to all of you have contacted true faith to give details of where the company Ashley has engaged to bastardise the St James' Park name can be found.

Please see details below. If you do contact these people to register your objection to the work they are undertaking please behave in a courteous fashion and do not allow yourself to be dismissed as a caveman. Its up to you.

Ampersand Communications

4 Staten Court,

84 Tradewind Square,

Liverpool,

L1 5BG

Tel: 0151 709 4547

Fax: 0151 703 0018

[email protected] (Director)

http://www.ampersand.uk.com

Other stated address:

Ampersand Communications

Liverpool Science Park

Innovation Centre

131 Mount Pleasant

Liverpool

L3 5TF

0151 709 4547

0151 703 0018

[email protected]

Emma Blackmore (Director)

[email protected]

www.myspace.com/ampersandpr

Barry Moat admits he too would consider selling the naming rights of St James' Park were he ever to complete a takeover at Newcastle United.

Current owner Mike Ashley has taken the Championship club off the market after he could not find anyone willing to meet his £80million valuation, with local businessman Moat known to be interested.

Ashley's controversial tenure has come in for even more criticism over the past few weeks after he took the decision to rename the club's home ground sportsdirect.com@St James' Park, with Sports Direct being the sportswear firm he owns.

Although it was another hugely unpopular move by Ashley in the eyes of supporters, Moat insists it is something which most clubs have to consider.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think you have to explore things like naming rights, you have to do that.

"Unfortunately we live in a world where football is big business, and the gap between the Championship and the Premier League is getting bigger all the time.

"So you have to do things to close that gap. We need to get back up to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

"I think if you have to do some of those things, by taking the commercial benefit of a sponsor, then as far as I'm concerned if that gets the right players on the pitch, gives you the right entertainment on a Saturday, then where do I sign?"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5696881,00.html

Barry Moat admits he too would consider selling the naming rights of St James' Park were he ever to complete a takeover at Newcastle United.

Current owner Mike Ashley has taken the Championship club off the market after he could not find anyone willing to meet his £80million valuation, with local businessman Moat known to be interested.

Ashley's controversial tenure has come in for even more criticism over the past few weeks after he took the decision to rename the club's home ground sportsdirect.com@St James' Park, with Sports Direct being the sportswear firm he owns.

Although it was another hugely unpopular move by Ashley in the eyes of supporters, Moat insists it is something which most clubs have to consider.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think you have to explore things like naming rights, you have to do that.

"Unfortunately we live in a world where football is big business, and the gap between the Championship and the Premier League is getting bigger all the time.

"So you have to do things to close that gap. We need to get back up to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

"I think if you have to do some of those things, by taking the commercial benefit of a sponsor, then as far as I'm concerned if that gets the right players on the pitch, gives you the right entertainment on a Saturday, then where do I sign?"

Thanks for clearing up just what sort of fly-by-night c*** you are too, Barry. :thup:

Guest Geordiekev

Apparently there are quotes from Shearer in the Sun saying SJP will always be SJP or something like that.  :smitten:

The advert on ITV for the sun seen him quote exactly that :snod: "It's like Newcastle without St. James Park" or something along those lines..

Thanks for clearing up just what sort of fly-by-night c*** you are too, Barry. :thup:

What a twat, and how much money would we be getting for naming rights that would supposedly get the right players on the pitch? You seriously think 500k would help make that happen? Patronising bastard, wouldnt rule out that people saying he was serious about buying the club as bollocks, and just someone who agreed to take the heat off ashley.

Someone's just mentioned this at work.

If Ashley sold the rights to the name of the ground to himself (Sports-Direct) on a five year contract and then sold the club this/next season, what could be done about it other than buying the rights back?

Ouch... :lol:

Moat Surfaces From His Rat Hole!

By Nu Mad

Tuesday, 17th November 2009

Barry Moat is back in the news once again, and just to stir the shit once again ... says he would consider selling the naming rights of St James' Park if he was in charge of the club.

The businessman who was linked to a buy-out of Newcastle United (but didn't have enough money to but a match programme never mind the club), got himself a lot of media coverage with his scam.

After being 'wined and dined' by Mike Ashley, and invited to a couple of Toon matches at SJP, it became clear he was full of bullshit ... and it was all a big joke.

Is he a Mackem pulling the piss? No, just a prick who wanted to see his name in the papers.

Barry Moat: "I think you have to explore things like naming rights, you have to do that.

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=472871

Bit more of the same from the same source...

The Beaver Who Won't Go Away!

By Nu Mad

Tuesday, 17th November 2009

Prospective Newcastle owner Barry Moat insists he will "beaver away" in his quest to buy out Mike Ashley .... spurred on by the love of his wife. PASS ME THE SICK BUCKET!

Moat reportedly made a £60million offer up front with guarantees of a further £20m next season ... but many believe the man couldn't come up with enough money to buy Del Boy's three-wheeler!

One thing is certain, (money or not) he keeps getting his name in the newspapers and his face on the TV. But isn't that the plan?

Barry Moat: "For one reason or another it didn't come to pass.

"It's extremely disappointing. It's something we'd given up a lot of time and effort and abortive costs with so I've been feeling pretty bruised by the whole process.

"As my wife keeps telling me, 'No-one's died' so you've got to get on. That's fundamentally where I see it now.

"I think from my perspective I don't think Mike Ashley wants to stay at St James' Park for the long term, so I'll never give up.

"I'll keep beavering away in the background and hopefully one day we'll get there.

"Hopefully he'll make some investment in the club. Hopefully we'll get some commercial partners.

"Hopefully the money will be spent on the playing squad and that bears fruit and we get back to where we deserve.

"Let's face it Newcastle is a massive club. 43,000 to 44,000 people turned up there the other week to watch Peterborough.

"No disrespect to Peterborough, but they brought some great fans. This is Newcastle United, it is a massive club.

"It's a global brand and it should be at the top of European football."

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=472881

If he really wanted to f*** us over he could sell himself the rights for the next 600 years, all at the low low price of 6p :D

Pay him off with his contract or simple ignore it, can't exactly sue us for much for breach of contract if he only paid 6p

Bloke leading the Newcastle/Gateshead World Cup bid saying that it'll be called St James' Park during the World Cup, and that big screens will be needed as a FIFA recommendation.

Is that the MacDonalds World Cup, the Pepsi Cola World Cup or the Nintendo World Cup he was talking about ? ;D

Article about this whole subject on the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8366434.stm

I think a lot will depend on the clubs like ourselves and Chelsea, I really do. If fans stand in the way of it and do something tangible like protests and ultimately boycotts, it'll make other clubs and owners think twice. If we lie down and take it, other clubs will follow suit and use us as a precedent. This is the first time the issue has really got people talking because this is the first time the biggest, most famous and oldest stadiums are under threat. Bear in mind it took someone who treats his own fans with contempt - Mike Ashley - to try something like this. Chelsea quickly tried to get in on the back of it - that was opportunism on their part. The timing was certainly no coincidence.

It's by no means a foregone conclusion that this is the new trend in football. People are quick to assume it'll go the same way as shirt sponsors but so far there's little evidence of it. Businessmen will try and make it happen, but they're dependent on their fans. Those who have changed name are currently in a very small minority - remember that. What's happening to us right now is not the norm even though some people will try to tell you it is. Just look around at famous British and European stadiums and not one has ever sold its name.  Anfield. Old Trafford. Bernabeu. Mestalla. Camp Nou. Olimpico. Velodrome. San Siro. And you look at us now: sportsdirect.com@StJames'ParkStadium? We shouldn't let people try and con us that this is normal, because take a look around and it f*cking well isn't.

I think it's a decent article from the beeb but there is far too much reference to what works in American sport. I couldn't really care what the Americans get up to, they name their teams after wild animals for f*ck sake. It's a different nation with different ideas on capitalism and a very different sport culture to our own. Looking at Europe, where there is a football culture more akin to our own, there is almost no precedent for changing the names of old and famous stadiums to brand names.

Are we following a trend, or are we the catalyst? I think a lot of clubs will wait and see what happens with ourselves and Chelsea before upsetting their own fans.