Are you really going to make a stand?

Guest toonlass
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:jesuswept:

In the context of 'raping' a football club or whatever, how would you like to be called a rapist? I can't see how it's a defendable banner in the slightest - it just took things way too far. You might as well be calling the man a racist or a paedo.

It disgusted me tbh. 'fat bastard' is one thing, but 'fat cockney rapist'? Nah, too far.

I think I've proven myself to be the most knowledgable poster on here time and time again, hence the reason i'm allowed to be an arrogant fucker.

By all means be an arrogant fucker, just don't try and make out your money is better than anyone else's.

Now for the 2600 Posh fans at SportsDirect.Com @ St.James' Park - a good effort but we were given a masterclass in how to get behind your team an make some noise - I'm not talking about 40,000 NUFC supporters just the 500 or so to our right." Best in the business!!!

From a match report on the posh forum.  :clap:

Now for the 2600 Posh fans at SportsDirect.Com @ St.James' Park - a good effort but we were given a masterclass in how to get behind your team an make some noise - I'm not talking about 40,000 NUFC supporters just the 500 or so to our right." Best in the business!!!

those fans closest to the away support happen to make the most noise. not exactly a news flash is it ?

*vomits*

those fans closest to the away support happen to make the most noise. not exactly a news flash is it ?

Loads of people on here get on the backs of those who sit/stand up there and sing, just posting it to show a neaturals pov and they thought the fans in that section were the best home support they've heard.

Loads of people on here get on the backs of those who sit/stand up there and sing, just posting it to show a neaturals pov and they thought the fans in that section were the best home support they've heard.

they would. they're right next to them and as ever thats where the banter between fans is.

sitting in the gallowgate all i can usually here if "get out of our club" and "your support is fucking shit".

has to be said that at SJP from all parts our variety of songs and humour is crap.

Guest toonlass

Who won the tug of war at the end then? Did the stewards confisicate the banner?

Yeah, but only when the police stepped in.

Look - let's NOT detract the players.

You know full well what players are like.

Give them any excuse and they won't perform.

they would. they're right next to them and as ever thats where the banter between fans is.

sitting in the gallowgate all i can usually here if "get out of our club" and "your support is f***ing s***".

has to be said that at SJP from all parts our variety of songs and humour is crap.

It was only 4 years ago L7 was absolutely dead next to the away fans, and the away fans would outsing everyone without single reply the whole game.

I was up in L7 signing section, stood all match and joined in.  Rather do that then sit next to some burnt out misreable old buggers who moan all game.

Heard the Gallowgate once or twice sing.

The eaststand is dead, totally dead.  Its like a wainting room in a hospital.

Ashley has took the piss out of us so he deserves to be ripped to peices & ridiculed. But I can understand why the rapist banner might offend people, and we want as many people on our side (media etc) and against him as possible, so from that point of view it could be counter productive, even if it was funny. Good stuff going to the effort to do something though, to make a banner that big, and we need to keep it up.  :thup:

Northerngimp is right, I usually sit in the East Stand and its quiet, but probably more to do with the fact its the oldest stand, with generally the best views available to general public, so you get a lot of older season ticket holders who haven't moved and don't want to move, and the term "burnt out" is probably not too far away from the truth!

Seems like this thread has got a bit confused with a reaction to protesting during the match generally and the specific protest on Saturday. I wasn't there on Saturday, but from what I've heard the fans got behind the team as much as they did having a go at Ashley, and the atmosphere was generally positive, and fans didn't get on players backs. Although Little Icke won't value my opinion since I wasn't there, sounds like the perfect way to go about things.

Generally though a lot of the protests do have a negative impact, at least the recent games I've been to, and you've got to think what might have happened if we had gone a goal down early on on Saturday rather than scored an early goal to lift the fans. I've been to some shocking home games in recent years where the atmoshere has been shite, fans booing there own players on to the pitch etc. From what I've seen the Level 7 blokes have tried to start to change this, trying to get new songs in circulation and keeping the songs up for the whole game, but generally there's too much negativity around St. James. Park games and I can't see this changing until Ashley has gone.

The feeling against Ashley seemed to get people more pumped up for the game, and have a positive impact, not a negative one. Yes, the atmosphere might have turned a bit if we'd went 1-0 down (something that will happen at some point) - but wouldnt that happen regardless of any protests going on?

When we went 1-0 down against Doncaster the crowd were right on the backs of the players, and they got boo'd off at half time, and there were no protests before or during that game - so it seems its very easy to jump to the conlcusion that any negative atmosphere if going 1-0 would be because of protests. Its because a lot of fans kick off at going 1-0 down toa team in this division - end of story.

Not saying its impossible for any protests to make some fans less patient in the ground, but its not clear cut as some make out, and some poeple go into the ground less patient simply because they expect us to wipe the floor with every team.

We should keep on going with the protests, like I said I think it could actually get people more up for the game, and keep on going with banners etc, hoping to get one made myself.

The feeling against Ashley seemed to get people more pumped up for the game, and have a positive impact, not a negative one. Yes, the atmosphere might have turned a bit if we'd went 1-0 down (something that will happen at some point) - but wouldnt that happen regardless of any protests going on?

When we went 1-0 down against Doncaster the crowd were right on the backs of the players, and they got boo'd off at half time, and there were no protests before or during that game - so it seems its very easy to jump to the conlcusion that any negative atmosphere if going 1-0 would be because of protests. Its because a lot of fans kick off at going 1-0 down toa team in this division - end of story.

Not saying its impossible for any protests to make some fans less patient in the ground, but its not clear cut as some make out, and some poeple go into the ground less patient simply because they expect us to wipe the floor with every team.

We should keep on going with the protests, like I said I think it could actually get people more up for the game, and keep on going with banners etc, hoping to get one made myself.

I find myself agreeing with this if I'm honest with myself - what my gripe probably is is that I really want to go to the game and get behind the team and the players, and if someone is having a shocker I want to encourage them, and have a positive impact on the team, and this doesn't seem to happen much any more - Middlesboro at home last season being one of the few, shocking considering the circumstances last season really.

Maybe I steer away from the protests because in my own little idealistic world each Ashley Out chant is a chant which could have been encouraging the team, and if I look at it this way then the people staying quiet are just as guilty.

sitting in the gallowgate all i can usually here if "get out of our club" and "your support is f***ing s***".

It was only 4 years ago L7 was absolutely dead next to the away fans, and the away fans would outsing everyone without single reply the whole game.

i used to say the matches i was at when the away fans were in the L7 corner, we had conceded the loudest part of the stadium to them. Now we have our own fans, and the lively ones in L7 corneer, much better atmosphere.

Gimp,. i hope im not the miserable old git you were referring sitting next to.