Memories from the 70s, 80s, 90s

cp40

My old man always goes on about the popular, he was there pretty much every game until he moved away when he was 18. Got some cracking stories but he's pretty old now so takes a long time to tell them. He was there every home game for the fairs cup winning season and a few years either side.

My dad was a 'Poplular' side man too back in the 60's and early 70's. He watched the Fairs Cup final from there.

Big Geordie

Yep, so was I.

On the subject of Frank Clark, he was allowed to leave because we had Alan Kennedy coming through.

I think Kennedy may have been the best ever LB I've seen at the club, although I do like the present fella Enrique a lot.

With Irving Nattrass at RB at the same time I don't think any team had such a good pairing and they could both score spectacular goals too.

Clarkie was one of those players, more common in that era, who played hundreds of games for his local club, never let them down week in week out but was not fully appreciated until he left. It was fantastic that he went on to enjoy such success.

http://www.nufc.com/images/sjp70s-1.jpg

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

this is how the ground was when i first went.

my first ever game was the opening of the east stand.

my dad took me in the Leazes, east corner when i was a kid.

can remember seeing the floodlights on from home as well when there was night games on.

look at how small the west stand was, it always seemed massive from inside the ground.

sure that was 71'. i thought the east stand wasn't finished till 72' ?

mick.....mick...MICK.

where are you when you're needed.

can remember seeing the floodlights on from home as well when there was night games on.

look at how small the west stand was, it always seemed massive from inside the ground.

Fantastic photo. Those floodlight pylons were great. Sounding really old now, but that's when grounds had carachter, and weren't the souless, identikit things they are nowadys. Now, where's me pipe and slippers?

sure that was 71'. i thought the east stand wasn't finished till 72' ?

mick.....mick...MICK.

where are you when you're needed.

im almost certain it was finished in 71, may have been 72. it was opened with a pre-season friendley against Benfica, it was my first match aged 3 or 4. i can remember being really scared of the hieght in the east stand seats.

Fantastic photo. Those floodlight pylons were great. Sounding really old now, but that's when grounds had carachter, and weren't the souless, identikit things they are nowadys. Now, where's me pipe and slippers?

i know what you mean 82, when i look at that and think i will never stand on the gallowgate again, never piss in them open top toilets, or scramble through the trees to get out faster. :no:

That photo's from about 83

impossible :nope:

Aye sorry. The leazes was open then ie no roof

correct. the leazes end was demolished in 78, and the two east pylons.

the story was that Mc alpine had the leazes stand to match the east stand, ready to go up, but it was delayed over an argument over season tickets with Westwood. not sure how true like.

When you consider how small the east stand is, its amazing how small the west stand looks!!

Does anyone remember the beambacks from about 95-97ish?

I remember being at the Odeon to watch a beamback of the HOME game with Coventry when Ferdinand scored for us, must of been the beginning of the 95-96 season iirc. It was absolutely packed!, plus there was that fit Ingrid bird from Metro radio pushing her tits in my face so I was more than happy.

I remember watching the Coventry away game about 97ish when we hammered them something like 5-0 when Shearer scored a couple, Stephen Glass scored too and I think it was when Shay Given didnt realise Dion Dublin was behind him and threw the ball out infront to kick it upfield when Dublin sneaks out from behind Given to tap the ball in the goal!  :laugh:

That beamback was in one of the suites in the Milburn and as i recall there was hardly nee fucker in there. Just me and me mates and a couple of others. I think they must have stopped the beambacks shortly after that.

Does anyone remember the beambacks from about 95-97ish?

I remember being at the Odeon to watch a beamback of the HOME game with Coventry when Ferdinand scored for us, must of been the beginning of the 95-96 season iirc. It was absolutely packed!, plus there was that fit Ingrid bird from Metro radio pushing her tits in my face so I was more than happy.

I remember watching the Coventry away game about 97ish when we hammered them something like 5-0 when Shearer scored a couple, Stephen Glass scored too and I think it was when Shay Given didnt realise Dion Dublin was behind him and threw the ball out infront to kick it upfield when Dublin sneaks out from behind Given to tap the ball in the goal! :laugh:

That beamback was in one of the suites in the Milburn and as i recall there was hardly nee fucker in there. Just me and me mates and a couple of others. I think they must have stopped the beambacks shortly after that.

:lol: Interesting.

Aye I went to watch the Man City away match (3-3, 95/96) when Tino elbowed Keith Curle. And later on, he nutted him. :lol:

Spat on him as well...only got a 3-match ban iirc. :lol:

Would have been 10-12 easily even now.

they were lenient on account Curle wasa cunt.

Massive massive cunt. Got fighting with Andy Goal when he was here too iirc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/asprilla-and-curle-to-face-fa-charges-1321384.html

Announcing the decision to charge the pair, the FA's Claire Tomlinson said: "It is clear both players have a case to answer." Asprilla and Curle have 14 days in which to answer the charges.

Well I never knew that.

Wasn't she caught with a broken limbed ex Smoggie manager,in a hotel room?

When did they start work at the back of the gallowgate for the St james metro station?

80 ish as a guess. i can remember it pre metro. i can remember them building it, but not sure of dates.

Not entirely sure but I thought the metro work started in the 70's.

They had artists (architects) impressions of how stations etc would look when finished in locations around town and I knew a lad who was a draughtsman and did some of them. In very small detail he had drawn a couple having a "knee trembler" against a wall somewhere and also someone getting the shit kicked out of them. It was not noticed and the drawings duly went up. You'd never notice it if it wasn't pointed out but we all thought it was hilarious.

Maybe that's why all the boarding is up opposite the Gallowgate in the photo, it could have been because they wewre already working on the SJ metro station.

When did they start work at the back of the gallowgate for the St james metro station?

80 ish as a guess. i can remember it pre metro. i can remember them building it, but not sure of dates.

Not entirely sure but I thought the metro work started in the 70's.

They had artists (architects) impressions of how stations etc would look when finished in locations around town and I knew a lad who was a draughtsman and did some of them. In very small detail he had drawn a couple having a "knee trembler" against a wall somewhere and also someone getting the shit kicked out of them. It was not noticed and the drawings duly went up. You'd never notice it if it wasn't pointed out but we all thought it was hilarious.

Maybe that's why all the boarding is up opposite the Gallowgate in the photo, it could have been because they wewre already working on the SJ metro station.

i thought that as well, but i think the photo maybe too early. it was dated 1971 on th esite i found it, but it could be any date between 71-78. I think the metro opened in 80-81?