Memories from the 70s, 80s, 90s

cp40

Yeah, I remember the Boro game on the beamback. They expected us to stay in the Gallowgate, but the screen was so small everyone ran on the pitch to watch it.

aye, i rekon that was the funniest pitch invasion I ever saw/ took part in.

The 'screen' was like 9 tellies stacked up, somewhere in the leazes half of the pitch. Everyone just stood at the front of the gallowgate waiting for someone to make the first move, about 3 cops. Remember this lad making the first break, a police woman grabbed his sleeve, and that was it, within seconds the pitch was full. celebrated like fuck when, i think sheff utd went behind,.. how it all went to shit after that tho.

Anyone remember Big Darren,  he used to always be standing on the crash barrier in the scoreboard conducting the singing.  Think he got murdered at an away game in London(chelsea or QPR) when he had a run in with some Wigan Rugby league fans.

Anyone remember Big Darren,  he used to always be standing on the crash barrier in the scoreboard conducting the singing.  Think he got murdered at an away game in London(chelsea or QPR) when he had a run in with some Wigan Rugby league fans.

aye poor lad, got kicked to death, he never saw the great 90s team. used to stand right behind him in the scoreboard.

aye poor lad, got kicked to death, he never saw the great 90s team. used to stand right behind him in the scoreboard.

CP you must have stood beside me as well,  i hope you aren't the bloke who pissed in my mates pocket!! lol

CP you must have stood beside me as well,  i hope you aren't the bloke who pissed in my mates pocket!! lol

:laugh: never pissed in a pocket, but a few times on them crash barriers, a lot easier than going to the bogs, which was no diffrence to the terraces when you got there.

Miss the old -who man hey man who man, and pushes where you could end up anywhere.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

I remember a bloke called Tommy, I think he used to work on the barrows. He used to get up on the barriers in the Scoreboard and sing 'Little White Bull'.

going to away games in the back of a transit or better still..............................a box luton.

We got stopped coming back from Carlisle and the copper opened the shutter and couldn't believe we had so many in, he counted 54.  :lol:

Best thing about the carlisle game was Kevin Carr's penalty save, then he saves the rebound and 3 passes later we are scoring at the gallowgate end!!  Jumping around like a loon celebrating the penalty save and still celebrating as Beardsley(or KK) scores at the other end,  mental and never seen that happen since.

I'm sure that it was Beardsley who scored at the Gallowgate.

Best thing about the carlisle game was Kevin Carr's penalty save, then he saves the rebound and 3 passes later we are scoring at the gallowgate end!!  Jumping around like a loon celebrating the penalty save and still celebrating as Beardsley(or KK) scores at the other end,  mental and never seen that happen since.

I'm sure that it was Beardsley who scored at the Gallowgate.

think so too, but what about carlisle away that season,. was it NYD and our own fan attacking our Keeper.

And the toon Fans doing a bit of scoreboard demolition.

think so too, but what about carlisle away that season,. was it NYD and our own fan attacking our Keeper.

And the toon Fans doing a bit of scoreboard demolition.

I didn't miss a Carlisle game because my Grandfather was from Cumberland and supported them so I always felt that I should go.  I remember we always stopped off at Brampton on the way to the game and wherever we were at 6pm on the way back which was usually Haltwhistle.

I remember going to Grimsby, the game was all ticket, probably Boxing Day, but me and my brother were ticket less.  We managed to buy a couple for the home end behind the opposite goal to where we usually stood.

We got in and decided that it might be a good idea to say nothing as we were slightly outnumbered.  We went right into the middle of the terraces and noticed somebody wearing pyjamas.  We were 90% sure that he was a one of ours so went next to him but said nothing.  All of a sudden he decided that it might be a good idea to sign Blaydon Races.  He was getting knocked about a bit but nothing too bad so me and my Brother started singing at the same time.

They must have started wondering how many more were in so they all backed off until the coppers came up and got us then they ran towards us.  We ran at them and got pulled back but they bottled it and thankfully ran away.

We were taken around to our end and watched the rest of the match.

I remember going to Colchester in the FA Cup.  We won the game but what stood out was the weather.  I've never seen fog like it in my life, we ended up in a field at one time when the road had a bend and we went straight on.  I was really lucky that the field had an open gate right where I expected the road to go.  It took us 4 hours to get from Colchester to the A1 and 6 hours to get home when it should have taken no longer than 3.

Once seen a removal van on the hard shoulder just outside wetherby using the facilites by the side of the road must been 40 - 50.

Boro away midweek getting pletted over the wall with coins etc , someone decided to use the programme hut as a battering ran to smash open the gates, Wolves away mathematical chance going up was never going to happen 000's went down, Wolves were already promoted or champions , game drew they decided to have a lap of honour , went well until the reached our end, gates opened and hundreds ended up on the pitch, players and officals legging it, Derek Dougan was chairman at the time and he was on his toes.

I emigrated to Oz in 79 so most of my memories are obviously before the 80s so here are a few:

Big Wyn during those Fairs Cup matches. He was so dominant in the air.

Supermacs home debut v Liverpool.

Wembly 74 and the disapointment afterwards.

Wembley 76 and the disappointment

Alan Suddick walking up to the Grimsby wall and dropping the dacks of one of their defenders in the wall.

Tony Green.........best player I have ever seen in an NUFC shirt

John McNamee, hanging from the Joker Park crossbar after equalising in a 3-3 draw against the scum.

The Newcastle end at Hillsbrough for the 74 semi against Burnley..a sea of Bl;ack and White

The fans at WBA 5th round FA Cup in 74.......sang Howay the Lads non stop for entire 2nd half.

Rangers fans invading SJP in 69, semi final Fairs cup and dad and me watching as one of them was chucked in the tyne off the swing bridge after the game

FA Cup defeat at Walsall in 75, i think, bog of a pitch, trip down on the train and how we got kicked off just outside Walsall and had to walk the rest of the way under the motorway to get to the ground. Shitful day.

Yes, happy days

Butchers Coats? I seem to remember the brown coats the peanut sellers used to wear as they carried their baskets around the cinder track shouting, "peanuts, tanner a bag, peanuts". You used to chuck your tanner down to them and back came those cone shaped packets of peanuts.

Also remember those bloody awful boiled hamburgers and onions they used to sell in the kiosks at the bottom of the steps leading up to the gallowgate end and the hot mugs of bovril.

Someone mentioned being rolled down over the heads to the front of the leazes. It happened to me as well in the late 60s.

I remember coming home in 82 from Oz for a holiday and went to see us play Grimsby at home in the cup. We lost 2-0 and whilst a player was being treated for an injury, some one shouted out, Howay, Newcastle, I cashed my giro to see you lot play today. It was hilarious at the time but it made me realise I was better off living in Oz than Thatchers England at the time.

Can I pitch in?

- Gary Lineker, the first footballing idol I had. Was heartbroken when Cruyff let him go.

- People telling me that I looked like Bernd Schuster

- The 1982 World Cup. I was 4 years old, but still remember the feeling of the eyes of the world suddenly being peeled at us.

- Thinking Paul Gascoigne was the best player of the world. I think that's the first image I have of a Newcastle player.

- The years of the "Jai Alai" when playing a Basque team was like shooting a ball against a concrete wall, Real Sociedad almost going unbeaten the year they won.

- The "botifarra" (Catalan sausage) sandwiches at half time during matches when my father took me to the Stadium. Probably liked those more than the football.

- Footballers wearing moustaches (like "Tarzán" Migueli, who was also fat and the best defender we had)

- José Ramón Alexanko scoring a magnificient header in the dying instants of the 1988 Cup final.

- Julio Salinas, the clumsiest striker I have ever seen. He was shit. He was slow. My grandmather in a wheelchair was more comfortable on the ball, in her sleep. But he would score 10+ goals every season, and most of them would be completely laughable: tripping with the ball, deflecting off his ass, bouncing off his head... but he would score them.

- When football was ugly: footballers were often fat and unkempt, managers wore tracksuits, there was no posh branding of teams or ellaborate marketing efforts, no high-tech gizmos on TV broadcasts...

- A great quote from a Barça sporting director "Just give me money to sign forwards, we'll get the defenders from a construction site"

I remember going to Colchester in the FA Cup.  We won the game but what stood out was the weather.  I've never seen fog like it in my life, we ended up in a field at one time when the road had a bend and we went straight on.  I was really lucky that the field had an open gate right where I expected the road to go.  It took us 4 hours to get from Colchester to the A1 and 6 hours to get home when it should have taken no longer than 3.

that must've been the cup r[play when even the glove thief scored............liostened to it on the radio whilst doing my.............yeah like i was doing my homework.

I remember going to Grimsby, the game was all ticket, probably Boxing Day, but me and my brother were ticket less.  We managed to buy a couple for the home end behind the opposite goal to where we usually stood.

We got in and decided that it might be a good idea to say nothing as we were slightly outnumbered.  We went right into the middle of the terraces and noticed somebody wearing pyjamas.  We were 90% sure that he was a one of ours so went next to him but said nothing.  All of a sudden he decided that it might be a good idea to sign Blaydon Races.  He was getting knocked about a bit but nothing too bad so me and my Brother started singing at the same time.

They must have started wondering how many more were in so they all backed off until the coppers came up and got us then they ran towards us.  We ran at them and got pulled back but they bottled it and thankfully ran away.

We were taken around to our end and watched the rest of the match.

Boxing Day, 2:2 Howard Gayle scored twice (he's black he's broon he's playing for the Toon.....) loads of NUFC in Fancy Dress.