Memories from the 70s, 80s, 90s

cp40

Guest Brummiemag

Re butchers coats.....wasn't it something to do with 'Clockwork Orange' or something like that?

You had to be REALLY hard to wear the butcher's coat. It was one up from a black and white tartan kilt with Doctor Martens.

Yeah I remember the blokes who wore them butchers coats were as hard as nails - I guess they would have been in their late thirties or forties back then.

Would be great to see the return of the butchers coats and it would be great to know if any of those guys are still going to the games

I always remember someone making a noise, normally before kick off, really loud, hard to describe it in words, but a sort of cross between a red indian call and tarzan, you could hear it all around the ground or it seemed like that anyway.   I never hear it anymore.

Anyone remember this and what happened to the fella who used to do it?

been mentioned a few times, its a mystery. remember it well. Often during a quiet spell in the game.

Trelford Mills and Michael Peck are/were the worst ref's ever.

Mills was appalling. But for 80 mins of that match v Brighton was OK. Cracked under pressure not to be pressurised.

Graham Ashby was the only refreree who i would physically attack for the handling of Arsenal v Newcastle where he sent Ginola off after Dixon feigned being elbowed.

He was such a disgrace for 90 minutes, even the Arsenal fans couldn't believe his treatment of Ginola. Honestly - if I met him NOW I'd punch the bast*rd.

I always remember someone making a noise, normally before kick off, really loud, hard to describe it in words, but a sort of cross between a red indian call and tarzan, you could hear it all around the ground or it seemed like that anyway.   I never hear it anymore.

God, yes. When was it ?

I always remember someone making a noise, normally before kick off, really loud, hard to describe it in words, but a sort of cross between a red indian call and tarzan, you could hear it all around the ground or it seemed like that anyway.   I never hear it anymore.

That noise came from a lad in the East Stand seats, right next to the corner of the Gallowgate.

Going to Stan Seymour's shop to look at things I couldn't have, buying Tip Top at the ground and some funny tasting orange sweets, peanuts, my dad having an right old argument at a game against Leeds, sitting on concrete barriers or the concrete wall at the front beside the cinder track, running back to Worswick Street bus station wondering how so many others had already got there (hadn't worked out they'd left before the final whistle) & above all;

wishing I was Supermac.

Going to Stan Seymour's shop to look at things I couldn't have, buying Tip Top at the ground and some funny tasting orange sweets, peanuts, my dad having an right old argument at a game against Leeds, sitting on concrete barriers or the concrete wall at the front beside the cinder track, running back to Worswick Street bus station wondering how so many others had already got there (hadn't worked out they'd left before the final whistle) & above all;

wishing I was Supermac.

Stan Seymour's and Frank Brennans were the only two sports shops in town iirc. Before  trainers and replica shirts although I did get a B&W strip from one of them for Christmas.

Going to Watford for a game which was called off because of Snow.  Some prick from Watford was complaining in the bar that the pools panel had awarded an away win and we didn't deserve to get the points.   :idiot2:

Sitting in the East stand for my one and only game when Jack Charlton walked out because he was getting stick off the crowd.

Sheffield Utd, pre season 85?. was in east stand benches, singing sack Jack

I was in the proper seats at the top, I was with my nephew who was going mad at Charlton and he didn't know who he was as he was only 4 or 5 years old.

How many managers have we had since he left? 

I was in the proper seats at the top, I was with my nephew who was going mad at Charlton and he didn't know who he was as he was only 4 or 5 years old.

How many managers have we had since he left? 

13?

pre season friendly with Sheff Utd wasn't it?

Yes, I didn't expect him to pack in even taking into account the stick he was given.

we were shit tho, in his one season. with Rambo, and tony cunningham up front. At least he kept us up for our first season. but after cox football, it was shite.

13?

I've got 14, McFaul, Smith, Ardilles, Keegan, Dalglish, Gullit, Robson, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Keegan, Kinnear, Shearer and Hughton

oh fuck, i missed shearer :blush:

there was a few other acting as well along the way

oh f***, i missed shearer :blush:

It's amazing when you look at how long Joe Harvey managed us.  In the 30 years after the 2nd World War we had 5 managers and in the 34 years since Joe left the job we've probably had more than 20 managers, either permanent or temporary.

oh f***, i missed shearer :blush:

It's amazing when you look at how long Joe Harvey managed us.  In the 30 years after the 2nd World War we had 5 managers and in the 34 years since Joe left the job we've probably had more than 20 managers, either permanent or temporary.

the 5 managers won 4 trophies, the 20 odd = zero.

hmmm i wonder where we are going wrong?

Mavis with a rambo headband, lol