Gooners away

Skirge

Van Persie plays on the left man Skirge, Hleb rules the right.

Aye, and surely even if VP played right playing a right-footer against a left-footer playing there would be good sense an' all, rather than the other way around!?

He did most of his work wide right yesterday like, he drifts from wing to wing, Hnery drops of more on the left and cuts in so he can hit those right foot curlers accross the keeper.

I'm hoping for an extremely offensive line-up.

Given

Taylor  Moore  Ramage

Parker

Duff            Dyer              Emre        N'Zogbia

Martins    Rossi

Seeing as we can't score with a "normal" line-up, we need to try something else. Rather loose 5-2 than 3-0

All I can say Skirge after your team selection is thank f*ck you're not manager.  tongue.gif

Aye so true but do you have faith Roeder will do any better ?

Mind with the players we could have available Fergie would struggle to do anything with them.  bluebiggrin.gif

Given

Taylor  Moore  Ramage

Parker

Martins    Rossi

Seeing as we can't score with a "normal" line-up, we need to try something else. Rather loose 5-2 than 3-0

Emre's suspended, unfortunately. :wullie:

And the vast majority of those "offensive" players selected take about one chance in every 5 that comes their way... they cannot hit a cow's backside with a banjo is basically the idea I'm trying to get across. It would be novel - could be the highest scoring Premiership game ever if we went in with a team like that.

Given

Taylor  Moore  Ramage

Parker

Martins    Rossi

Emre's suspended, unfortunately. :wullie:

And the vast majority of those "offensive" players selected take about one chance in every 5 that comes their way... they cannot hit a cow's backside with a banjo is basically the idea I'm trying to get across. It would be novel - could be the highest scoring Premiership game ever if we went in with a team like that.

oh, yeah forgot about that.

Get Zoggy in the middle and put nobby to the right and duff to the left.

Given

Ramage    Taylor    Moore  Bernard

Parker

Milner    Zoggy    Dyer    Duff

Martins

0-1 toon DYER

Guest Geordie Dancer

I don't think we're good enough to go there, pack them midfield and try and frustrate them. They'd break us down eventually, then we'd have no confidence and end up getting battered... So why not have a go at them? Inject a bit of pace into the forward line. I think its the only chance we've got. I'd play:

Given

Taylor          Moore            Ramage            Babayaro

Parker          Butt          Zoggy

Dyer              Duff

Martins     

Guest Hibbits left foot

given

solano ramage taylor duff

milner parker butt nzogbia

martins dyer

subs harper bbyo sibierski rossi luque

Given

Ramage          Taylor            Moore        Babayaro

Butt

Parker                Dyer

Milner                                                      N'Zogbia

Martins

Martins, Dyer, Milner and the Zog have enough pace to hit them on the break. N'Zogbia, Parker, Dyer and Milner have enough energy to close them down effectively for 70+ minutes. If we are still in the game by then we can throw shola on to put the cat amongst the pigeons. 

Given

Ramage          Taylor            Moore        Babayaro

Butt

Martins

Martins, Dyer, Milner and the Zog have enough pace to hit them on the break. N'Zogbia, Parker, Dyer and Milner have enough energy to close them down effectively for 70+ minutes. If we are still in the game by then we can throw shola on to put the cat amongst the pigeons. 

Could work as long as the Zog does his part of chasing and closing down.

Given

Ramage           Taylor            Moore         Babayaro

Butt

Martins

Could work as long as the Zog does his part of chasing and closing down.

We could always use duffer. The Zog might want to impress his future boss though.

Not a chance that this formation will be employed against the gooners, but oh well:

Given

Solano Ramage Taylor Baba

Parker

Milner                      N'Zogbia

Dyer

Luque      Martins

They force you to match them in midfield and play a 4-5-1 as they do, I am 99% certain Roeder will opt for a 4-5-1.

A 4-4-2 and a fighting sporit may work but lets face it the way we have played of late a 5-5-5 would not help even if we were allowed.  bluelaugh.gif

The thing I especially dislike about our 4-5-1 is that we get dominated in midfield anyway (by sheffield united at home, no less), even with 5 players "crowding it up". Roeder needs to learn his limits and stick to the basics, and nothing but the basics.

Well it looks like Martins should be back for this one.  :thup:

Martins targets Gunners

Nov 14 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Oba Martins has returned to training with Newcastle United - and the £10m man hopes to put himself in the frame for Saturday's daunting trip to face an in-form Arsenal.

The United striker did not appear for the second half of the Carling Cup victory over Portsmouth at St James' Park on October 25 because of a hamstring injury and he has missed the last five games.

But he was back in training today - just in time to see Shola Ameobi say goodbye to the rest of his United colleagues for the rest of the season, with word being received from the US that the 25-year-old striker has been booked in for his hip operation next week.

This means that United will be without two of their three front-line strikers, Michael Owen and Ameobi, for the rest of the season and Martins is now so crucial to them.

Roeder told me this morning: "Oba will be back training with us today and he will build things up gradually throughout the week.

"By Thursday we are hoping that he is in full swing and we will then take things from there."

I have been critical of the time it has taken for both United's pre-seasons buys, Martins and Damien Duff, to settle in. However, there is no doubt an in-form Duff is a class act, while everyone who sees Martins at the club's training ground waxes lyrical about the Nigerian striker and insists that he will come good.

Roeder added: "Make no mistake about it - Oba wants to play for us and wants to be out there at the Emirates Stadium.

"But don't forget he was only 22 recently and he is still relatively young.

"He has come from a different League and a different culture, and we have to be more tolerant as far as he is concerned.

"Nobby Solano tells me it took him three or four months to settle in, while Thierry Henry did not have an immediate impact when he first joined Arsenal.

"But Arsene Wenger was patient with him - and the rest, as they say, is history. And when we go to the Emirates Stadium, in Henry we will be facing one of the three best strikers in the world today."

The big difference between Arsenal and United is that Wenger had other players to put in while Henry settled in. But with Owen and Ameobi out injured and Albert Luque off the pace, Martins has to find his form - and goals - as soon as possible.

I hear that Wenger is actually a fan of Martins and toyed with the idea of bringing him to Arsenal in the close season.

But United's need is now greater and Roeder confidently says: "I have seen enough of Oba in training and in some parts of our games to have complete faith in him.

"However, he has to come to terms with the fact he will now be a regular in our starting line-up, which is different to his time at Inter Milan where they had so many other strikers.

"He also has to learn that the Premiership is different to Serie A. Unlike the Italian League, the Premiership does not take a break in the winter and Martins will have to adjust to that as well."

United's first trip to the Emirates Stadium on Saturday is a 60,000 sell-out, with both Arsenal and United supporters snapping up their tickets.

Meanwhile, reports over the weekend claiming United chairman Freddy Shepherd was going to buy out the shares of Sir John Hall and his son Douglas are not correct.