Barnsley 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 12/12/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

I've been back a while now, just finished our curry.

Nice mate? Cheers for the lift.  :thup:

Must admit I was underwhelmed. They are a team that like to pass it, and we were the ones just lumping it up to Carroll and praying Nolan would somehow burst through. I'd heard Guthrie's injury was questionable, but either way we still need more CM options than Butt Smith Nolan and Guthrie, we should seriously look at trying to nab Gibson on loan. I was saying to Dave I'd love to see us sign a young exciting player even on loan.

We lost all shape when Harewood came on and our bench was way too striker heavy.

Harper 7- Nothing he could of done with the goals really.

Taylor 6- Halfredsson got nothing off him first half, but second half he gave him a right run around.

Coloccini 7- Like Taylor he was calm enough and looks comfortable shame not many are like him

Taylor 7 - See above

Enrique 9 - Best player for me, runs his heart out and is way too good for this league.

Pancrate 6- Didn't get the ball and when he did he wasn't having much success

Butt 5- Just not up to it, he needs atheltic players around him which Smith and Nolan just aren't

Smith - 6 Quiet today, if were playing Butt he needs to attack more, we should be looking to play him in the role Butts at and sign an attacking midfielder in the mould of Taarabt at QPR

Nolan -7 scored, but then what? They pushed up which pretty much buggered his game as the space was too much ground for him to cover and is why he should have played Lovenkrands

Jonas 5- Not at the races today.

Carroll 8- Throws himself about and got absolutely nothing from a truly shocking ref who was all for the home team

Subs

Harewood- 7 see Nolan really, he scored, but what else did he even do, he can't hold up the ball much for a big fella.

Zurab 6- He did not look comfy at LB which just highlights how we lack depth.

Ranger 6- Aye he did well enough, not great, not horrendous better hold up than Harewood that's for sure.

Overall our lack of depth is highlighted by today, the fact we have 7 midfielders to fill 4 positions but 5 strikers to fill at most 2 positons just shows how unbalanced the squad is, I don't get why Simpson was dropped considering we didn't really benefit from Taylors delivery who's freekick at the end was woeful. We need to be able to shut games up like that, we were 5 minutes from another win, they were no attacking powerhouse.

Christ, did you two go on a date?

To be honest, it's getting close to Christmas fixture pile-up time. Maybe he's getting the last few minutes he can out of the loanees as he knows he has to keep Kadar, Lovenkrands, Ameobi fresh for this little run.

Simpson?

Makes sense otherwise tbf.

Guest Heneage

Step son got back around 7pm. Says Barnsley were the much better side; we should look at this as a point gained.

Their fans weren't mind, we got one decent song on 89 minutes, even goading chants got nothing out of them.

To be honest, it's getting close to Christmas fixture pile-up time. Maybe he's getting the last few minutes he can out of the loanees as he knows he has to keep Kadar, Lovenkrands, Ameobi fresh for this little run.

Simpson?

Makes sense otherwise tbf.

I think Simpson will be staying past January, although the other two I don't think that. Having said that, if my theory was true then Harewood probably would have started.

He's always done the same though.

I'd love it if I thought that was really the idea, but I doubt it.

Along a similar line, he's had ample opportunity over the last month to break Ranger into the first team and give him an opportunity to get some goals (half time v Swansea, after 55 minutes v Peterborough) but sticks with what he thinks he know.

Hughton, for me, is the biggest danger after the transfer window of us not getting promoted.

Thing is though, I think this squad is too good for Hughton to not get promoted with. If we get through January not losing anyone (except Butt, Geremi or any of the naffer youngsters) and manage to retain Simpson, that's one foot in the Premier League for me.

Guest Heneage

I've been back a while now, just finished our curry.

Nice mate? Cheers for the lift.  :thup:

Must admit I was underwhelmed. They are a team that like to pass it, and we were the ones just lumping it up to Carroll and praying Nolan would somehow burst through. I'd heard Guthrie's injury was questionable, but either way we still need more CM options than Butt Smith Nolan and Guthrie, we should seriously look at trying to nab Gibson on loan. I was saying to Dave I'd love to see us sign a young exciting player even on loan.

We lost all shape when Harewood came on and our bench was way too striker heavy.

Harper 7- Nothing he could of done with the goals really.

Taylor 6- Halfredsson got nothing off him first half, but second half he gave him a right run around.

Coloccini 7- Like Taylor he was calm enough and looks comfortable shame not many are like him

Taylor 7 - See above

Enrique 9 - Best player for me, runs his heart out and is way too good for this league.

Pancrate 6- Didn't get the ball and when he did he wasn't having much success

Butt 5- Just not up to it, he needs atheltic players around him which Smith and Nolan just aren't

Smith - 6 Quiet today, if were playing Butt he needs to attack more, we should be looking to play him in the role Butts at and sign an attacking midfielder in the mould of Taarabt at QPR

Nolan -7 scored, but then what? They pushed up which pretty much buggered his game as the space was too much ground for him to cover and is why he should have played Lovenkrands

Jonas 5- Not at the races today.

Carroll 8- Throws himself about and got absolutely nothing from a truly shocking ref who was all for the home team

Subs

Harewood- 7 see Nolan really, he scored, but what else did he even do, he can't hold up the ball much for a big fella.

Zurab 6- He did not look comfy at LB which just highlights how we lack depth.

Ranger 6- Aye he did well enough, not great, not horrendous better hold up than Harewood that's for sure.

Overall our lack of depth is highlighted by today, the fact we have 7 midfielders to fill 4 positions but 5 strikers to fill at most 2 positons just shows how unbalanced the squad is, I don't get why Simpson was dropped considering we didn't really benefit from Taylors delivery who's freekick at the end was woeful. We need to be able to shut games up like that, we were 5 minutes from another win, they were no attacking powerhouse.

Christ, did you two go on a date?

No mate bumped into each other. :lol:

I'd love it if I thought that was really the idea, but I doubt it.

Along a similar line, he's had ample opportunity over the last month to break Ranger into the first team and give him an opportunity to get some goals (half time v Swansea, after 55 minutes v Peterborough) but sticks with what he thinks he know.

Hughton, for me, is the biggest danger after the transfer window of us not getting promoted.

:sadnod:

He's so conservative it's nauseating.

They weren't the much better side at all. We were crap, but i thought they were really appalling.

They were typical of many Championship sides I've seen us play tbh, they try to play decent football but are generally ineffective with it. If you knew nothing about the two teams today it would be difficult to pick out the one top of the league. So sloppy.

Actually, I think that Hughton would be much better if he hadn't worked under Kinnear for almost six months. All that horrible, cunty, negative play seems to have been inplanted firmly into his head.

Don't think it's anything to do with Kinnear, just he's a cautious bloke who knows the fans didn't want him in charge in the first place.

Actually, I think that Hughton would be much better if he hadn't worked under Kinnear for almost six months. All that horrible, cunty, negative play seems to have been inplanted firmly into his head.

Hughton is playing the same tactics as he did last year, setting up primarily to not get beat. It's just that the opposition is so much poorer and our forwards are (relative to everyone else's) far more clinical.

Out of all of the people we had in charge, his spell was by far the most damaging last year.

Don't think it's anything to do with Kinnear, just he's a cautious bloke who knows the fans didn't want him in charge in the first place.

It's certainly had an effect, running so many training sessions (on his own pretty much) that were 90% focused on defensive training.

Step son got back around 7pm. Says Barnsley were the much better side; we should look at this as a point gained.

No we shouldn't we were ahead twice and lost the lead. 2 points dropped.

Hmm, I see what you're saying but that kinda suggests were playing well. We haven't been playing well and despite the tremendous results we've been getting, save for the first 30 mins against Swansea, we've been very average.

The Smoggies will be a big test for us.

Guest Heneage

It's sad that against Barnsley we lined up as essentialy a 4-5-1, we started the season well against the likes of Reading and we played some genuinely nice stuff, but the more we games we play the more we seem to drop down to their level.

It's certainly had an effect, running so many training sessions (on his own pretty much) that were 90% focused on defensive training.

Playing Devil's advocate but who can argue with only 12 goals conceded in 21 games? Throw in 8 points clear at the top of the League and 3 manager of the month awards out of 4...

We can all see the faults and deficiencies but he's got the results to back him up.

Playing Devil's advocate but who can argue with only 12 goals conceded in 21 games? Throw in 8 points clear at the top of the League and 3 manager of the month awards out of 4...

We can all see the faults and deficiencies but he's got the results to back him up.

Personally I'd say the clean sheets are more down to the quality of the back four and Smith's form than the actual tactics. Having said that, Smith is almost like a third centre back at times, although whether that's how he plays the DM role or what Hughton has told him to do is anyone's guess.

Guest Heneage

Personally I'd say the clean sheets are more down to the quality of the back four and Smith's form than the actual tactics. Having said that, Smith is almost like a third centre back at times, although whether that's how he plays the DM role or what Hughton has told him to do is anyone's guess.

Smith should be playing the role Butt was asked to today, it was only today I truly realised how physically lacking Butt is in this league.