Did Wolves concede the game to Man Utd

cp40

I'm laughing at the "He's the manager - let him decide brigade". If (god forbid) he was our Manager and did exactly the same with us when (should I say if ever again) we visited Man U or Arsenal or Chelsea he would be hung drawn and quartered on the Town Moor.

What the fans thinks and what the manager should be allowed to do is to completely different things.

As already mentioned, there was no complaints when Fergie fielded reserves last year...

Fergie had already won the title and had a Champions League Final to think about. Wolves had 3 points to play for, just as they do at the weekend.

I'm laughing at the "He's the manager - let him decide brigade". If (god forbid) he was our Manager and did exactly the same with us when (should I say if ever again) we visited Man U or Arsenal or Chelsea he would be hung drawn and quartered on the Town Moor.

im not saying i agree, but his chairman will have said keep us by any means possible. if he doesnt, chances are he will get fired. its contraversial, but its the way football is going these days. money money money.

Different clubs if you haven't noticed.

They had 1% chance of beating Manu at OT with their best XI, without them they had .05% chance of beating Manu at OT, but greatly improves the % of them winning their next game with a fitter team and a game which is 50/50; 3pts in a relegation battle against your relegation rivals is like gold dust, losing to a top 4 team is expected and chalked off as such.

He did the right thing for his club in the position they are in.

What the fans thinks and what the manager should be allowed to do is to completely different things.

As already mentioned, there was no complaints when Fergie fielded reserves last year...

Fergie had already won the title and had a Champions League Final to think about. Wolves had 3 points to play for, just as they do at the weekend.

You saying the chances of those 3pts at the weekend are the same as at OT?

The Man Utd reserves are good enough to finish top 4 by themselves, of course there's no complaints. Wolves have shit reserves, it's the same as if a boxer would go down in the first round against someone he thinks is better than him just to be fit for his next match.

Different clubs if you haven't noticed.

They had 1% chance of beating Manu at OT with their best XI, without them they had .05% chance of beating Manu at OT, but greatly improves the % of them winning their next game with a fitter team and a game which is 50/50; 3pts in a relegation battle against your relegation rivals is like gold dust, losing to a top 4 team is expected and chalked off as such.

He did the right thing for his club in the position they are in.

There's never been a bigger chance of beating Man Utd this season than when Wolves played them, even Fergie has said this might be the time Man Utd have had the most injuries to first team players in his time there.

i can understand the fan's being annoyed at this decision, but in no way should the FA get involved, its no different to when the likes of arsenal and man u play their reserves

It is very different. As mentioned time and time again, Man Utd and Arsenals reserves can easily beat almost any team in the Premier League, even Wolves first team have a hard time doing that. Man Utd and Arsenal play their reserves still looking for a win, Wolves just threw the match not caring about trying.

McCarthy should be fined, or Wolves should get a fine IMO. Point deduction would be taking it too far.

Guest optimistic nit

got absolutely fuck all problem with this tbh. good decision by mccarthy, the fixture list is really congested around christmas, why shouldn't he rest some of his better players at old trafford? they are all on the payroll.

why shouldn't he rest some of his better players at old trafford?

Because it's against the rules to not go to a match with the intention to at least just try to win it, doing so will ruin football even more than it's already ruined and just widen the gap even more between the better teams in the world and the rest. And changing the entire XI except the keeper isn't "resting some of his better players".

Guest optimistic nit

Because it's against the rules to not go to a match with the intention to at least just try to win it, doing so will ruin football even more than it's already ruined and just widen the gap even more between the better teams in the world and the rest. And changing the entire XI except the keeper isn't "resting some of his better players".

its against the rules to field a team of first team squad members? :lol:

its not just wolves that have done it, i've seen the big 4 do it countless times, this is being given an epically high amount of attention compared to other such incidents when realistically there is absolutely nothing to discuss here although it is unfair to the wolves fans that travelled and an apology may be due.

its against the rules to field a team of first team squad members? :lol:

its not just wolves that have done it, i've seen the big 4 do it countless times, this is being given an epically high amount of attention compared to other such incidents when realistically there is absolutely nothing to discuss here although it is unfair to the wolves fans that travelled and an apology may be due.

Four the fourth time in this thread, the top four can do it because their reserves can beat almost any team in the league. It's different when a shit team do it, because it's admission of defeat before a match is even played.

Section E, rule 20 says: "In every league match each participating club shall field a full strength team."

The top teams can put out their reserves and still beat the other teams in the league, so enforcing that rule on them wouldn't be possible as their reserves piss all over first teamers on other teams. It was obvious Wolves did not field a "full strength team" as they weren't gonna try to beat Man Utd, hence it's different. And one of the first blatantly obvious "let's just lay down and take it, boys!" tactics employed by a team in the PL.

The obvious is bolded because of course it's been done before, but not so openly as this. It's damaging the integrity of the Premier League, and football as a whole.

i can understand the fan's being annoyed at this decision, but in no way should the FA get involved, its no different to when the likes of arsenal and man u play their reserves

It is very different. As mentioned time and time again, Man Utd and Arsenals reserves can easily beat almost any team in the Premier League, even Wolves first team have a hard time doing that. Man Utd and Arsenal play their reserves still looking for a win, Wolves just threw the match not caring about trying.

McCarthy should be fined, or Wolves should get a fine IMO. Point deduction would be taking it too far.

i dont think you can really say because wolves didnt try to win the match they should be punished, plenty of teams go to the likes of the top four and dont play to win, but just because he chose to rest players, he should be made to look different to those teams?  

i dont think you can really say because wolves didnt try to win the match they should be punished, plenty of teams go to the likes of the top four and dont play to win, but just because he chose to rest players, he should be made to look different to those teams?  

Playing for a draw is different to admitting defeat before the match is played, and I dare say most managers don't change their entire usual starting XI before a match against the top four, most teams actually want to try to get something from them as getting something from the top four is not only confidence building, it's valuable points if their opponents do like Wolves.

I'd be ashamed and almost feel violated should Newcastle ever field a team of reserves against Man Utd just because the manager didn't think we could beat them.

Guest optimistic nit

According to you the rule states "In every league match each participating club shall field a full strength team." how exactly is the top 4 fielding a team of reserves fielding a full strength team?

correct me if i'm wrong but what your/they're saying is that a top 4 can field a team of reserves as long as they win? if they lose the game then they would surely be breaking that rule according to your definition but if they win then they wouldn't. its a fucking retarded rule if it means breaking that law is dependent completely on the consequences of the action rather than the action itself.

According to you the rule states "In every league match each participating club shall field a full strength team." how exactly is the top 4 fielding a team of reserves fielding a full strength team?

correct me if i'm wrong but what your/they're saying is that a top 4 can field a team of reserves as long as they win? if they lose the game then they would surely be breaking that rule according to your definition but if they win then they wouldn't. its a fucking retarded rule if it means breaking that law is dependent completely on the consequences of the action rather than the action itself.

No, the best teams usually mix seasoned first teamers with their reserves when they play matches, and they play them with the intention to win. Even if they don't have all the usual stars in their side. Wolves throw out their entire first eleven, and don't even try to go for a draw. The difference is so obvious I'm having issues with understanding how people don't see it. If a good team fielding some reserves had lost their match, it wouldn't be the end of the world because we'd know they at least tried. Wolves didn't. They laid down and took it, fully knowing their arses would be sore from the rape. It's appaling. And if people took off their "Oh we hate the "top 4" and they totally get treated differently than other teams, lolz" glasses, people would see that as well.

Playing for a draw is different to admitting defeat before the match is played, and I dare say most managers don't change their entire usual starting XI before a match against the top four, most teams actually want to try to get something from them as getting something from the top four is not only confidence building, it's valuable points if their opponents do like Wolves.

I'd be ashamed and almost feel violated should Newcastle ever field a team of reserves against Man Utd just because the manager didn't think we could beat them.

which is why i can understand the fan's anger, but not the FA's, its MM's decision to do that and a manager has enough problems without having the FA telling him who he should and shouldnt play. it was the wrong decision by MM, but that dosnt mean he should be singled out, as what he has done isnt all that different from clubs playing for draws or clubs playing their second string.

which is why i can understand the fan's anger, but not the FA's, its MM's decision to do that and a manager has enough problems without having the FA telling him who he should and shouldnt play. it was the wrong decision by MM, but that dosnt mean he should be singled out, as what he has done isnt all that different from clubs playing for draws or clubs playing their second string.

Not trying at all is different though. That's why it's all so appaling. If he'd played his reserves, and they'd actually given it a go, it'd imo be a different story altogether.

Not trying at all is different though. That's why it's all so appaling. If he'd played his reserves, and they'd actually given it a go, it'd imo be a different story altogether.

i dont think at any point MM would have said to the 10 outfield players not to try, any lack of effort for any sort of result is down to the players themselves, not MM or Wolves for playing them, therefore they shouldnt be punished for it. no doubt it was wrong, but any formal action is a bit ott, especially as other clubs arnt much better.

i dont think at any point MM would have said to the 10 outfield players not to try, any lack of effort for any sort of result is down to the players themselves, not MM or Wolves for playing them, therefore they shouldnt be punished for it. no doubt it was wrong, but any formal action is a bit ott, especially as other clubs arnt much better.

He didn't have to say it though did he, by dropping his 10 outfield players who had beat Spurs it was a clear indication of surrender. As someone said Burnley beat Man U earlier, if Mccarthy even goes into a match just thinking defeat he should be slaughtered. I repeat, if he was Manager here nad did that you'd all be up in arms, no good saying "Two different clubs", Wolves have a rich history and their fans deserve better than this.

Arsene Wenger, of Carling Cup fame, has hit out at Wolves:

We now have to compete with Manchester United over 37 games instead of 38. It affects the international reputation of the league. It's not a problem for me, just a Premier League issue. The Premier League should sort it out.