World Cup 2018 Host cities - Newcastle and Makemville both chosen

Fenham Mag

I hope both cities get chosen.

Obviously though if only one is chosen it surely has to be Newcastle? Sunderland have a flashier campaign but this just covers over the fact it doesn't have anywhere near the infrastructure that Newcastle has.

Guest eltsacwen

I can't think of 6 London stadiums good enough.

Olympic Stadium, Wembley, Stamford Bridge, New White Hart Lane, Twickenham, Emirates maybe...

• 8 months later...

Cant see us both avoiding the further cull tbh. This is the north east remember, we dont get what we want. 2 stadiums 12 miles apart? We've got nee chance imo.

But makes perfect sense to have a couple stadiums close to one another to host group games, non?

Well, you could say that but if that was the case why dont they just use 6 London Stadiums!?!

Only allowed a maximum of 2 cities per city and usually only one city is allowed to have 2 stadiums. This may be relaxed if its held here though due to England obviously being fairly small.

On a a seperate note I'll be fucking furious if teams like Everton or Liverpool etc use this to their advantage and get a free new ground from it.

Cant see us both avoiding the further cull tbh. This is the north east remember, we dont get what we want. 2 stadiums 12 miles apart? We've got nee chance imo.

But makes perfect sense to have a couple stadiums close to one another to host group games, non?

Well, you could say that but if that was the case why dont they just use 6 London Stadiums!?!

Only allowed a maximum of 2 cities per city and usually only one city is allowed to have 2 stadiums. This may be relaxed if its held here though due to England obviously being fairly small.

On a a seperate note I'll be f***ing furious if teams like Everton or Liverpool etc use this to their advantage and get a free new ground from it.

Err what? :lol:

On a a seperate note I'll be f***ing furious if teams like Everton or Liverpool etc use this to their advantage and get a free new ground from it.

Err what? :lol:

meant stadiums.

Seeing as we probably won't get it for another 50 years, do people really want to host the word cup during a period when we're absolutely shit and there's little prospect of us getting any better between now and then?

Seeing as we probably won't get it for another 50 years, do people really want to host the word cup during a period when we're absolutely shit and there's little prospect of us getting any better between now and then?

Yes and 8 years is a fucking age - anything could happen.

Yes, we might be shit in 8 years time, but their will still be world class teams in the competition, imagine being able to to go into Newcastle and watch the likes of Brazil, Spain etc, or even just being able to drive to another city in order to do it.

Better still, imagine going to Whitley Bay and the beach being swarmed with Latino babes in their bikini's or even nothing at all.

Aye, 8 years ago we'd just finished 4th. We'd go on to get into the last 16 of the CL and finish 3rd in the league. Could anyone honestly say that in 8 years time we'd be having our first season back in the prem after relegation? You'd have laughed at them.  Owt can happen.

Well, we certainly won't since our super ambitious board didn't even bother to bid.

Well, we certainly won't since our super ambitious board didn't even bother to bid.

Aye but if there is a council backed stadium built or something you'd still be able to get a share ground potentially. Obviously this is all hypothetic.

Be interesting to see how ridiculous the prices were too should we get it, not that I wouldn't pay through the arse for tickets. With England having a fairly cosmopolitan population and good air links with the rest of the world and being seen as a safe destination to go to you'd get some cracking atmospheres.

The distances involved for fans to get to South Africa and within the country affected attendances (and I guess therefore profits).  It will be the same for Brazil and with the 2022 tournament and also Russia if they get 2018. 

England would not have that problem at all.  A lot of fans from countries like the Netherlands could even make it a day trip if they wished.  It would be an opportunity for FIFA to give fans from all over the world their best chance to attend a World Cup compared to all the other bidders.  I guess the same could be said of Spain/Portugal to a certain extent but we are a much more compact country and probably have better international travel links.

It would be brilliant to see Newcastle full of football fans from all different countries

South Africa had all of their stadiums either built or massively improved with millions from Fifa. We could host the world cup next week if we had to but will we get the same kind of money from Fifa to invest in stuff like transport and infrastructure?

I'd fucking love it if we got the World Cup. In 2018 I'll be 26 going on 27 so a perfect time for the World Cup to come for me personally. Will definitely try and make the most of it, probably will be a once in a lifetime thing.

I'd fucking love it if we got the World Cup. In 2018 I'll be 26 going on 27 so a perfect time for the World Cup to come for me personally. Will definitely try and make the most of it, probably will be a once in a lifetime thing.

Aye, I'd be getting to as many games as possible to see as many teams as possible. Rinse my days off work/money on it.

Aye, I'd be getting to as many games as possible to see as many teams as possible. Rinse my days off work/money on it.

Same for me. 4 years ago, I didn't get any tickets for the WC in Germany.

2014 is in Brazil (?), so going to England in 2018 would be something I'd definitely do.