Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Guest Rey Mysterio

People always state he's a competent Premier League player or he started 30 games for a team that finished 5th etc. but for the last couple of years there hasn't been a worse starting right back in the whole league. He's extremely fortunate he's even still playing at this level.

More bollocks

Name one since we got promoted.

I dunno man he's just average. West Brom are flying and who do they play at RB? Billy Jones I think. He's hardly much, if at all better than Simpson.

To be fair though, they don't continually invite pressure onto themselves by playing hit and hope balls to the opposition defenders - they pass the ball on the deck and retain possession.

For me, every player in a Premier League team should be having an impact on most games, either offensively or defensively but preferably both.  Simpson doesn't have an impact on any game unless he makes a goal line clearance - he is one of the most anonymous players i've seen. 

Modern top-level fullbacks have so much more to their game than Simmo - look at Rafael, Clichy, Kolarov, Kyle Walker, Baines, Richards etc etc. The gulf in quality and technique is absolutely massive

He has an impact by knowing things like where he's supposed to stand, which is very important as a defender. Kyle Walker strikes a ball well and runs fast but defensively he's an utter mug.

Wouldn't for a second claim he's a good footballer but he is a good defender because he knows where to be, how to keep his shape etc. A couple of years ago at home to Everton, he played on the right wing (Jesus) with Steven Taylor at RB, who gave a masterclass in knowing exactly where not to stand and Everton took the utter piss in vast chasms of space down the left until we shuffled it and Simpson went back into position.

Pardew's first, second, third priority is that the team keeps its shape and everyone stays in position. That's why he likes Simpson so much and has always picked him.

I dunno man he's just average. West Brom are flying and who do they play at RB? Billy Jones I think. He's hardly much, if at all better than Simpson.

To be fair though, they don't continually invite pressure onto themselves by playing hit and hope balls to the opposition defenders - they pass the ball on the deck and retain possession.

For me, every player in a Premier League team should be having an impact on most games, either offensively or defensively but preferably both.  Simpson doesn't have an impact on any game unless he makes a goal line clearance - he is one of the most anonymous players i've seen. 

Modern top-level fullbacks have so much more to their game than Simmo - look at Rafael, Clichy, Kolarov, Kyle Walker, Baines, Richards etc etc. The gulf in quality and technique is absolutely massive

He has an impact by knowing things like where he's supposed to stand, which is very important as a defender. Kyle Walker strikes a ball well and runs fast but defensively he's an utter mug.

Who would you rather have between Simpson and Walker?

Depends what sort of team I'm putting together really. I wouldn't want either long term. Walker's been culpable for every goal we've scored against Spurs since he's played for them. Simpson's never made an utter cock up like Walker did a fortnight ago when he gave the ball away on the edge of his own box and gifted Chelsea a goal.

Depends what sort of team I'm putting together really. I wouldn't want either long term. Walker's been culpable for every goal we've scored against Spurs since he's played for them.

Including Hatem's penalty where Van Der Vaart and Lennon fouled him? A tad harsh.

People always state he's a competent Premier League player or he started 30 games for a team that finished 5th etc. but for the last couple of years there hasn't been a worse starting right back in the whole league. He's extremely fortunate he's even still playing at this level.

More bollocks

Phil Bardsley, what do I win?

Yes, he's shit but your OTT statements discredit your whole argument. I shudder to think of what you must have made of some of the far poorer players than him we've had in and around the team in our PL years.

Depends what sort of team I'm putting together really. I wouldn't want either long term. Walker's been culpable for every goal we've scored against Spurs since he's played for them. Simpson's never made an utter cock up like Walker did a fortnight ago when he gave the ball away on the edge of his own box and gifted Chelsea a goal.

Anfield last season, Bellamy's freekick was a massive massive rick, clueless positioning, indecisive and got in Krul's way.

Anfield last season, Bellamy's freekick was a massive massive rick, clueless positioning, indecisive and got in Krul's way.

Maybe so but Simpson claimed that was under instruction - Taylor did exactly the same thing at Old Trafford (which also cost us a goal).

Guest Rey Mysterio

More bollocks

Yes, he's shit but your OTT statements discredit your whole argument. I shudder to think of what you must have made of some of the far poorer players than him we've had in and around the team in our PL years.

You think Simpson could score the goals Bardsley has? He's a massive cunt but a better footballer.

More bollocks

This should be posted in pretty much every football thread.

I'd take Bardsley above Simpson mind.

I randomly assumed Simpson would be about the 12th best starting RB in the league, but looking through some of the squads, he's probably lower than that. I found that the shitter RBs tend to be younger, at least giving you some potential for growth... I can't see SIMMO improving too much.

I still don't think he's the liability that some seem to believe he is.

More bollocks

You think Simpson could score the goals Bardsley has? He's a massive cunt but a better footballer.

What the fuck has that got to do with playing right back?

Guest Rey Mysterio

More bollocks

It's an example of him being a capable footballer. Why shouldn't fullbacks score? Hoofing balls aimlessly up the park or passing it back to the keeper do not make you a good right back.

More bollocks

It's an example of him being a capable footballer. Why shouldn't fullbacks score? Hoofing balls aimlessly up the park or passing it back to the keeper do not make you a good right back.

I never said it did, you asked for an example of a worse starting right back, Disco gave you one but apparently that's wrong because he can kick a ball quite hard and has scored a couple of long rangers because of it.

Tony Hibbert must be the answer then, because he's never scored. Neither has Santon, he must be shit too.

Maybe we should start playing Demba Ba there?

More bollocks

Countless goalline points saving clearences last season due to holding his position at set pieces and knowing how to defend.

More bollocks

:lol: amazing

Javier Zanetti has scored 3 goals in the last decade, what a shit defender.

Guest icemanblue

Aye, think his point has been missed completely. I agree with him, like. Bardsley is a far better 'footballer', in terms of technique, than Simpson.

Contributing to the team is something Simpson rarely does. A few "heroic" goal line clearances (which Santon made quite a few of when Simpson was injured last year btw) doesn't make him a good player. He's too scared of the ball to be of any use in that regard.

Not a big fan of Simpson, but the more I watch the team the more I can't help but wonder some things.

My biggest gripes with system are the backign off thing when defending, which is something he takes way too far sometimes, but it's definitely not as bad as it used to be. Secondly, he has no composure on the ball, and seems very hesitant to get forward whatsoever.

The first issue is one he needs to sort himself, and as I said it's not as bad as I remember.

The second issue I'm actually beginning to think is just down to our general cluelessness of how to link up as a team with our passing and movement. I think if you put Simpson at right back in a team like Swansea or Wigan he'd look a lot more comfortable on the ball in general, and would pass it better and join the attacking play more often too.

Basically our coaching just sucks, and this affects the likes of Taylor and Williamson also, when it comes to using the  ball better. If some of the defenders lining up for Swansea, West Brom and Wigan are able to play the ball without hoofing it up the pitch everytime, then I'm sorry, but I really expect the likes of Taylor, Williamson and Simpson to be able to do so too.

No surprise that the only defenders who have this ability have all come from clubs where they would have been schooled in playing the ball from the back, and so it's is essentially ingrained with the likes of Colo, Santon, and Enrique previously.