The most improved toon players over time

Dan Gleebals

My point stands then, he hasn't improved as such. He's just adapted his approach to defending. And he's rediscovered the art of kicking people which sadly went missing last season.

As does mine at the top of the page, moreso.

Not really, because we haven't seen such a pronounced difference with the rest of the team.

My point stands then, he hasn't improved as such. He's just adapted his approach to defending. And he's rediscovered the art of kicking people which sadly went missing last season.

As does mine at the top of the page, moreso.

Not really, because we haven't seen such a pronounced difference with the rest of the team.

Nolan, Smith, Shola, Steven Taylor, Harper............ for starters.

Seeing Enrique getting better and better each week has got me thinking, is he the most improved player (since joining the club) we have seen on our books over the years?

For someone who did not have easiest of starts, he is starting to look like a real find and someone who showed signs of potential and is now realising their potential too.

Thought he looked pretty good from the off really, just managers tend to be over cautious with new players and in some cases like Allardyce are just fucking planks. But yes he's improved as he's got more used to the game here.

Smith looks the same player to me, Nolan's only real improvement is his goals tally and still often looks ineffective in midfield. Harper played well in the premiership under Keegan and after a run of games last season.

Besides, 5 players?

Smith looks the same player to me, Nolan's only real improvement is his goals tally and still often looks ineffective in midfield. Harper played well in the premiership under Keegan and after a run of games last season.

Besides, 5 players?

5 players plus Colo makes more than half a team like. :lol:

Chris Waddle.

Beat me to it. When I first saw him, he really did look like he should still be playing for Tow Law. Weak, slow, lacking in confidence - if anyone had said he'd go on to win 60 caps you'd have said they were mad.

Beat me to it. When I first saw him, he really did look like he should still be playing for Tow Law. Weak, slow, lacking in confidence - if anyone had said he'd go on to win 60 caps you'd have said they were mad.

He seemed to spend the full 90 minutes looking at his feet.

Guest firetotheworks

In recent memory Gary Speed.

I thought he was everything that was wrong with our team when he came in, then just just became reliable as fuck and easy to love.

In recent memory Gary Speed.

I thought he was everything that was wrong with our team when he came in, then just just became reliable as fuck and easy to love.

I thought he was much better at leeds.

Came into his own when we signed Hamann. Those two were probably the best central-midfield pairing I've seen for us in the short time they played, and proved that if you've intelligence, passing ability & can time your runs, pace isn't everything.

Did they actually play many games in the Premier as a central pair? I recall they looked fantastic in pre-season friendlies with Hamann taking charge as the more forward player, but I'm pretty sure Batty was a central figure for Dalglish in the middle during actual league games.

Dalglish was sacked 2 games into that season, for the majority of the second-half of the season it was Speed/Hamann. The shame was the rest of the team didn't really match that pair. Remember one game at home in particular against Arsenal where Arsenal were just about battering us and they held us together, and Hamann came up with a belter near the end to get us a draw.

Besides, 5 players?

5 players plus Colo makes more than half a team like. :lol:

Not really, we've used how many?

Dalglish was sacked 2 games into that season, for the majority of the second-half of the season it was Speed/Hamann. The shame was the rest of the team didn't really match that pair. Remember one game at home in particular against Arsenal where Arsenal were just about battering us and they held us together, and Hamann came up with a belter near the end to get us a draw.

So it was Gullitt that actually paired Hamann and Speed as a central pair. Dalglish IIRC used Speed as a wide left player mostly with Batty Hamman and Lee as his other core midfielders. His line ups were always incredibly defensive from what I remember.

you cant count any of our current lot in this imo.

they have largely improved because we are playing inferior opposition every week.

bernard for me.

Bernard's story's mental. He came and was hopeless at first, hence his loan spell, then got regular first-team football and got better and better, and was looking one of the best defenders in the league. And then... :undecided: