Sheffield Wednesday 2-2 Newcastle United - 26/12/09 - post match from page 11

Nate

Yep, Harper has to do much better there, s*** himself with their striker running/jumping at him.

don't even think he s*** himself, if so he'd have punched it. just allowed the movement to make him misjudge it.

Maybe but he looks tentative, if he's catching it there he has to jump higher.

no. he has to make sure he doesn't lose concentration and keeps hold of the ball when it drops into his hands.

Na, he needs to jump with his knees up and jump higher.

he had the ball in his hands like he did numerous times today. that one he misjudged i reckon by being distracted by a player colse to him. jumping higher and putting his knee up would have made sod all difference

The ball was never in his hands, if he jumps higher and with his knees up he not only takes the ball much higher well above their player but also puts the player off and thus catches the ball.

As a keeper you have to catch the ball as high as possible, Harper did not do that.

the ball was never in his hands ?

what did it lift off to hit the bar ?

if you catch the ball as high as possible aren't you then taking it over your head as opposed to the golden keepers rule of taking the ball into the body ?

you pull it in once you've taken it in two hands but you have to take a cross as high as possible above the heads of the attackers, you have to catch crosses above your head or it is impossible to command your box, every cross would be headed in by a striker if you tried to take it in front of your eyes and pull it into your chest. the ball was just about in his hands but not under full control. my mistake, if he had been taking it higher up he might have been fine.

Like going to old grounds, but no way should that shithole get anywhere near World Cup games. The accesses to the stand were narrow and dangerous, never mind the lack of room under the stand.

Nolan's header was so sweet.

Love how for two of our recent goals Shola has been miles offside and needlessly blatantly fouled someone. Maybe this was his masterplan and the years of training and practising in those areas are finally paying off... still, quality finish.

Hard to decide wat was the most depressing watching that performance. Nicky Butt? Dont need to say anything really (but i will) I think everyone accepts his legs have gone and he doesnt have the skills to make up for it. Retire please. The substitutions, Carrol, Pancrate and Lovenkrands, 3 strikers? (debatable) Any thoughts on bringing on a midfielder to provide a bit of service and stop SW running rings around old nicky? Hows about moving Gutherie into the centre and taking nicky off for a worthers, and going three up front? No course not, lets not read the game and change formation, lets not try playing through the middle, lets not drop the worst player in the team, lets just throw on 3 forwards and hope for the best. Can anyone tell me when Hughton has changed a game through tactics? Lost count over how many times jonas beat the first man and then found no-one to play it to, how many times butt took the ball and played it backwards, how many times gutherie hoofed it forward to avoid passing it to butt.

So who is the most pathetic, Butt for playing off his reputation at other clubs for the last 2 seasons or us for allowing him to? Substitute butt in that sentence for Smith, barton, nolan, lovenkrands and therin lies our problem. The addition of pancrate and harewood shows no improvement on this policy. We are doing so well in this league because our players have found their level, championship plodders, hughton has found his level, one dimensional ball clogger.

Thats the most depressing thing about yesterdays performance, no hint or spark of future improvements. bah humbug.

2 points dropped imo, should've turned over such a poor side in bad form. s**** performance from us, as usual. we're getting stuff out of matches due to simple end product that other clubs tend to lack, ie the likes of nolan and shola. the general play is incoherent, long ball s****. still, it's another point closer to promotion, so that's a positive. just as long as people understand that Hughton should be out the door as soon as the job is done.

This - spot-on.

I think you would see more football played between two pub teams than in that second half. Both teams were as bad but it was 45 minutes of long ball garbage. When we have two of the big strikers in it's just too easy to whack it long. Makes for absolutely tedious viewing.

There were 4 of us sat in a pub in Sheffield yesterday watching the game. Everything was good natured until we took the lead. A gang of local dickheads suddenly decided they didn't want us in their pub and turned on us. The landlady was having none of it and kicked them all out which was spot on from her tbh.

We weren't taking the piss but these wankers couldn't handle the fact they were losing. I know I can't tar all sheff wed fans with the same brush but things like that definitely help form an opinion of a clubs fans. Arseholes. 

Just gt in first match I've been too thisvseaon probably the worst game I've been too in a lngwhile. No

One played well. Butt & jonas were über s*** as we Marlon. Atmos was teeth 2nd half n all

I haven't a clue what you're on about.  :lol:

Aye me either. Butt and Jonas were shite though.

Guest Howaythetoon

We should have went on to win that so in a way it is hugely disappointing that we never. However, a point can be considered a good return from what was always going to be a tricky away fixture, if you take away the circumstances of our draw, i.e. letting a lead slip, that is. What remains key and always will in our goal of promotion is we don't get beaten and we aren't doing that.

There were 4 of us sat in a pub in Sheffield yesterday watching the game. Everything was good natured until we took the lead. A gang of local dickheads suddenly decided they didn't want us in their pub and turned on us. The landlady was having none of it and kicked them all out which was spot on from her tbh.

We weren't taking the piss but these wankers couldn't handle the fact they were losing. I know I can't tar all sheff wed fans with the same brush but things like that definitely help form an opinion of a clubs fans. Arseholes. 

'Your grounds too big for you'

'Here there everyfuckingwhere empty seats'

'Geordie boot boys' and the truly appalling 'your support is fucking shit' rang out over and over again yesterday to earn us absolutely no respect or admiration from our hosts in sheffield which is truly a shame as the turn out was impressive in numbers and colourful with all the hilarious fancy dress etc. If only the mood could be as humorous to match it would make the day so much better.

Respect from our hosts who sang 'where were you when you were ****'? 

They were a poor second in response to our lots efforts sadly.

Its a pity we cannot drag ourselves above that level thats all.

Guest WashyGeordie

Pretty crap game, we were on the backfoot mostly all game, and their like 3rd bottom or something - our team were probablies still hungover.

And the atmosphere was abit mute/flat aswell, especially the second half. Was alright in the first half and at HT  :laugh: but the 2nd half, meh.

I thought it was stupid giving them the day off for Xmas. It should have been the same as any other pre-match preperation. We didn't look anywhere near as sharp as usual.

I thought we looked the same as usual apart from a defensive fuck up and (imo) a foul on Harper. We are under pressure most games. it's just normally when we score our defence holds out for a win.

'Geordie boot boys' and the truly appalling 'your support is fucking shit' rang out over and over again yesterday to earn us absolutely no respect or admiration from our hosts in sheffield which is truly a shame as the turn out was impressive in numbers and colourful with all the hilarious fancy dress etc. If only the mood could be as humorous to match it would make the day so much better.

They probably didnt even notice it, tbh. They were far more interested in fighting between themselves, must have been about 4 scuffles which ended in afew people getting chucked out in the stand on the touchline to the left! The young toon lads that got in that stand caused a right carry on aswel and ended up with about 20 stewards and police men around them!

Highlight of the match was watching some steward pushing a police man then going mental at some other stewards during the 2nd half, yes, the 2nd half was that bad!!

I think as a group of supporters, we really have to get over the fact that other teams dont have as many fans. All this continual"empty seats" nonsense is embarassing. When was the last time we sold out St James'?

Is it just me who doesn't give a flying fuck about what chants our fans do (aside from racist stuff etc, of course)? Since when were we - or anyone else for that matter - pretentious enough to be only singing factually correct songs?

Exactly, its just tedious crap.

"Shall we sing a song for you?"

"Your support is fucking shite"

"They're here, they're there, they're every fuckingwhere, empty seats!"

"You couldn't sell all your tickets!"

Yawn.

'Geordie boot boys' and the truly appalling 'your support is f***ing s***' rang out over and over again yesterday to earn us absolutely no respect or admiration from our hosts in sheffield which is truly a shame as the turn out was impressive in numbers and colourful with all the hilarious fancy dress etc. If only the mood could be as humorous to match it would make the day so much better.

They probably didnt even notice it, tbh. They were far more interested in fighting between themselves, must have been about 4 scuffles which ended in afew people getting chucked out in the stand on the touchline to the left! The young toon lads that got in that stand caused a right carry on aswel and ended up with about 20 stewards and police men around them!

Highlight of the match was watching some steward pushing a police man then going mental at some other stewards during the 2nd half, yes, the 2nd half was that bad!!

think they were taken out for their own safety rather than carrying on themselves.  Yes they were waving at us lot in the West Stand, but it began to look obvious that if we scored, they'd go mental and the home fans would snap and go for them.

Were they brought into our end or were they just chucked out?

Guest WashyGeordie

There's no creativity / originality, and when they is, they don't catch on (straight away).

But I s'pose it's the trend of football nowadays, could because of the withdrawal of terracing, or just out-pricing the normal football fan etc etc, I dunno, but fans are now mostly resorting to 'nick' other fans' songs.

If people think the chants are crap they are free to create their own.  I would prefer to hear more of the Toon related chants rather than 'your support is shit'.  But as Hillsboro and the SW fans were living in the 80's most of the singing yesterday was appropriate.

Guest Heneage

I don't think we should sing any songs. We should applaude when we score, and scoff when they do, unless it is a good goal in which we mildly applaude and celebrate the partaking of good quality football.But I'm biased I'm in the TOON ULTRAS.