Sheffield Wednesday 2-2 Newcastle United - 26/12/09 - post match from page 11

Nate

Shite performance so a point isnt the worst result - atleast Forest and Cardiff dropped points as well

Nicky Butt is just shite - if he kept things simple, he wouldnt be so bad BUT when he starts thinking he is Zidane it just goes wrong

Harewood is a poor man's Shola, their partnership doesnt work - i hope the loan does not get extended, we have better options

Guest Wally_McFool

Taylor 5

Coloccini 4

Enrique 4

You are joking, right!  :coolsmiley:

Taylor and Colo were alright but Jose was gash today. I think we can allow him that, mind.

I thought Jose did well defensively.

He was definitely back to last seasons form as far as making short passes to a team mate was concerned.

Guthrie should have been our most effective from the first kick of the season, but he hasn't. Now that he's finally becoming very useful, people are advocating changing it? I'd keep him out wide; he drifts in out and out of games too easily when he's in the middle (i know, Nolan does too, but he's a massive goal threat). When Guthrie's up for it, he can impose himself on a game and cause havoc for the opposition simply down to his intelligence and delivery of the football - and it's easier for him to do it down the right than it is in the middle. Just keep it as Guthrie-Nolan-Smith-Jonas. That's our best line-up imo.

Second half was an absolute carbon copy of the Barnsley second half. Fucking dismal, never woke up. Fuck knows what Hughton tells them when we're a goal up away at a shite team.

Oh, and Nicky Butt is terrible. Not the only one who's shit but he just manages to bugger things up time and time again. It's embarrassing that he's still starting games.

Harper 6

Simpson 6

Taylor 6

Coloccini 5

Enrique 5

Guthrie 4

Butt 5

Nolan 5

Jonas 4

Ameobi 6

Harewood 6

Carroll 6

Pancrate 4

Lovenkrands 5

What's up with the hoofball, the whole game? Thought the forwards didn't do too badly, even though they weren't given much of a chance by our midfield. Jonas is a winger but he didn't try to beat a man or cross once. Enrique and Coloccini were guilty of giving away utterly stupid corners. There wasn't any urgency in the final minutes.  :thdn:

Shit performance all round. Good result in the end, we deserved fuck all. There's no flow in the midfield when Butt and Nolan play together. It's clear Guthrie needs to play centrally alongside Nolan, or Butt plays alongside Guthrie and Nolan plays behind one striker.

Harper - 6.5: A bit dodgy on that cross, but he was fouled, and made up for it with a class save

Simpson - 6: OK, won most of his battles.

Taylor - 6: Decent, never really tested.

Colocinni - 6.5 A stroll in the park for most of the match.

Enrique - 6.5: Some nice moments in defence, came out the victor 9/10 times but played us into trouble once and didnt get forward.

Guthrie - 4.5: Lovely cross for Nolan's goal, after that he was totally anonymous

Nolan - 5: Nice finish but along with Butt sat too deep

Butt - 5: Consistently in the wrong place at the right time. Like I said earlier, he intercepted a lot but was too far back to play it simple and get us attacking, he just cleared it time and time again, giving SW the possession again and again.

Jonas - 4: Totally ineffective when he was on, like a lot of the midfield he was almost anonymous.

Shola - 6: Looks confident and is scoring goals that wouldnt go in in the PL, but he's doing what he's paid to do.

Harewood - 5.5: A couple of nice moments, but again was largely anonymous.

Carroll - 6: Looked half decent when he came on and had an ok shot

Pancrate - 5: Terrible shooting overshadowed some nice play from time to time

Lovelycakes - 5: Didnt notice him.

All in all for me a match that no individual performed particularly terribly in, but mainly because a lot of the match passed a lot of them by.  It could have been wrapped up had we had the right personnel and the right attitude. Im reluctant to make Butt the scapegoat because I know it might be seen as being too easy, especially when he had a relatively good game by his standards. But he really, really holds us back. In this league our defence is usually tight, and is tested a fair amount. With Butt in the team it is constantly tested because he gets sucked into the action, the ball passes him by and the full backs/centre backs get forward; inviting more pressure. This isnt disimilar to Smith, in fact I think Smith's probably worse than Butt for being like that, however Smith has a better recovery to get back, and when he does get back he plays it to a Newcastle player, and not back to the oppositions centre backs/full backs/row Z.

When you do that you're also stopping our wingers and full backs getting forward because they're constantly defending. Guthrie, Jonas and Pancrate were all anonymous for most of the game and there was very little  play at all in an attacking sense from Enrique and Simpson. Note too that on the odd occassion they did was when we played it around and woe betide Guthrie to Nolan: Goal. Jonas to Shola: Goal.

There's almost a part of me that thinks Im finding a reason to blame Butt, but in all honesty I really do think he's a large part of the reason we play badly. He's always there, but he's always in the wrong position and does the wrong thing with the ball.

Thoughts?

Id agree with that. Butts made a lot less obvious mistakes last couple games, he does look better than usual. But the signs are clearly there, we've conceded 4 in the last two games he's played. Having kept clean sheets in all the others around them. He obviously doesnt protect as well as smith, far to many times they had chances to knock it back in around the pen area today. Thats where Smith would usually be scurrying about fouling people & getting stuck in. Picking up lose balls, things we take for granted as just falling to him.

Butt also tries to do to much as many keep noticing, his through balls dont work out. If he kept it simple he'd be more useful, often he just puts us on the backfoot again even when he does well.

So along with the endless long balls from defence, id put part of it onto him.

Hughton said a couple weeks backs the Butt was key in us getting narrow 1-0 wins away from home. And i fully agree with that, just not in the positive sense Hughton means it.

Harper 6 - Made a couple of good saves, didn't cover himself in glory for the second.

Simpson 5 - A mixed bag, some good play and some sloppiness.

Coloccini 6 - Did well but needs to stop pratting round in his own area.

Taylor 6 - Solid.

Enrique 5 - Below bar, sloppy on the ball.

Guthrie 6 - Clearly our best midfielder, why is playing out wide?

Butt 5 - A mixed bag, does well to win the ball but usually gives it straigh back.

Nolan 6 - Did well for the goal but pretty quiet on the whole.

Jonas 5 - Average shift.

Shola 6 - Scored but contributed little else.

Harewood 5 - See Shola minus the goal.

Hughton 3 - Poor team selection, average substitutions and shit long ball tactics.

How the f*** did Nicky Butt get man of the match, honestly...

Sick of the sycophancy towards him by commentators. Good old British lad Nicky Butt gets praised to high heaven for wandering into the path of a couple of stray balls (typically followed by him hoofing a 'Hollywood pass' straight into touch). Whereas those fancy dan foreigners Coloccini and Enrique get criticised for having the gaul to actually play a bit of football (despite having played like that and frustrated strikers all season with barely a hiccup).

Did Guthrie get another assist today then?

What more does the lad need to do, get him in the middle. He'd be cutting through defences easily

He creates them playing out wide as they are crosses, we would lose that if he played in the middle.

He'd still be able to drift around to the edge of the areas and loop some in. I dont think we're seeing what hes capable of in this league, his vision is far better than most. Just doesnt get on the ball enough atall. We'd gain more from his ability to put through balls in to strikers/wingers & loop some over the top than from him just being shoved on one wing i think.

He creates them playing out wide as they are crosses, we would lose that if he played in the middle.

Guthrie spends more time in the middle anyway and when he does that we've lost our balance.

Sick of the sycophancy towards him by commentators. Good old British lad Nicky Butt gets praised to high heaven for wandering into the path of a couple of stray balls (typically followed by him hoofing a 'Hollywood pass' straight into touch). Whereas those fancy dan foreigners Coloccini and Enrique get criticised for having the gaul to actually play a bit of football (despite having played like that and frustrated strikers all season with barely a hiccup).

Agreed - the commentators were shite. When he kept saying "These 2 lads will always give you a chance, blah, blah, blah" - Aye, dickhead thats why we have only conceded 14 goals all season

Agreed - the commentators were s****. When he kept saying "These 2 lads will always give you a chance, blah, blah, blah" - Aye, dickhead thats why we have only conceded 14 goals all season

All but 6 of them conceded while Butt has been on the pitch. Despite having only started 8 of our 23 league games.

Agreed - the commentators were s****. When he kept saying "These 2 lads will always give you a chance, blah, blah, blah" - Aye, dickhead thats why we have only conceded 14 goals all season

All but 6 of them conceded while Butt has been on the pitch. Despite having only started 8 of our 23 league games.

Now thats a telling stat

Guest toonlass

Harper - 6 Should have dealt with Sheff Wed's second better but did make a class save too.

Simpson - 6 Sign him up Chris, he is solid enough

Taylor - 6 Alright performance from him

Colocinni - 7 I still think that if he concentrates on just doing the simple things as a defender he does a good job. Some excellently timed tackles.

Enrique - 6 He excells when he is going forward and linking with Jonas, but seemed to be kept quiet today

Guthrie - 6 Great cross for the goal which we lacked for so long. Needs to make his presence felt more on the pitch

Nolan - 6 Sweet goal, had the Sheffield team all over him which stifled him I though. Kept his head.

Butt - 5 Past it. The more I see of him the more I am convinced he shouldn't be played.

Jonas - 4 Poor for me today. Him and Jose seemed to be lacking their usual linking up.

Shola - 6 I don't care if he was offside or not for the goal, he still had work to do once he got the ball to score. Is not a "hoof it up to the big man" player and needs better service.

Harewood - 5 Quiet and lazy again. Send him back to Villa Chris.

Carroll - 6 Works hard all over the pitch and could probably do a job alongside Shola

Pancrate - 5 Leave the shooting to the other lads, you just run about lad, make some space and pass the ball and you will be fine

Lovelypants - 5 Brought on 10 minutes to late for me. Give him time on the park in a striker position and he will score.  Put some more trust in him Chris.