Newcastle United 0 - 0 Derby County - 28/12/09 - post match reaction from p12

Dave

Pancrate looks a poor player having seen a bit more of him since the wonder goal. :undecided:

How many starts has he even had though? Not every player is just good, he doesn't speak a word of English and is new here, I think it would be better to give him some time.

Started at Barnsley and was poor and has been poor in every substitute appearance since that goal.

Pancrate looks a poor player having seen a bit more of him since the wonder goal. :undecided:

How many starts has he even had though? Not every player is just good, he doesn't speak a word of English and is new here, I think it would be better to give him some time.

Started at Barnsley and was poor and has been poor in every substitute appearance since that goal.

He was s**** when he started at Coventry, missed a sitter as well.

Am I alone in thinking that Ryan Taylor played well tonight btw?

Nope, I think his delivery was good and he offers genuine width.

I was wondering all the way through that second half why he was so narrow. Did he get to the byline and cross a ball once all day? The wings are so painfully imbalanced; watching Enrique and Jonas overlap each other to such effect - compared to what was going on down the other flank... hell's teeth. Starting to get frustrated with Simpson n'all. He looks about as timid as AS9 in a boxing ring once he's in that opposition's half.

As pissed off and as disgraceful a decision it was to drop Guthrie, i thought that it might be a good chance for Taylor to atleast make a claim for that right side. Thought he fucked it up big-time.

Several of Guthries assists have come from him dropping further into the middle anyway, so not sure where it comes from.

Probably only 2 or 3 of his assists have come from deep on the wing.

As I have said a few times he is right midfielder & not your stereotypical right winger. Do you understand comrade?

Guest Heneage

He was s**** when he started at Coventry, missed a sitter as well.

Can't expect the lad to be moving mountains so early on, he hasn't been playing football and is clearly quite rusty.

Yada Yada.

I know I'm only picking up on a small amount of your post but I thought Smith & Nolan were both diabolical tonight.  Their midfield had 60 yards of free space in front of them every time they broke from the back.

A 7 was generous for Nolan, probably - but not for Smith i'd say. Derby hardly came here to attack but Smith breaks up the play so well in this division and actually generates some forward momentum. He's meant to play deep - the full-backs have a chance to overlap and he passes the ball in a forward direction. It's good retaining of possession.

I honestly don't know what role Nolan plays. "The guy who scores quite a bit" is about the only label i can give him.

I thought Smith was appalling when they were playing down our right hand side in the first half and 3 of them were playing triangles around R Taylor and Simpson, but Smith still refused to leave the D on the edge of the 18 yard box to help out or break up those attacks.

He is primarily responsible for the fact that we sit too deep and invite teams on because he himself sits too deep when the opposition have the ball. Whether that's as a result of instructions he's been given or a choice he's making himself is another matter though.

I don't think Smith has much choice. He's not got the legs to chase the ball further upfield so he stays in position.

It looks to me that it is just part of the overall strategy for our rather immobile midfield to get behind the ball and snuff out attacks when they reach the penalty area. In nearly every game I've seen, the opposition has had plenty of possession, time and space - they just don't usually have the ability to take advantage.

I'm not very confident about Guthrie and don't see him as the answer. He's skilful but struggles under any kind of physical challenge and when pressured.

Barton can give us the boost we need. Is there any news about him?

In the Premier League perhaps, but even Smith & Nolan have their uses a level down.

I was expecting Guthrie to really come into his own at this lower level, but I feel he's been a real disappointment so far. Obviously he's been shunted out wide, which doesn't help, but he's so easily bullied off the ball and I can see why Hughton hasn't wanted to risk him in the middle.

Nolan v Guthrie is a difficult choice rather than an obvious one, I reckon.

Several of Guthries assists have come from him dropping further into the middle anyway, so not sure where it comes from.

Probably only 2 or 3 of his assists have come from deep on the wing.

As I have said a few times he is right midfielder & not your stereotypical right winger. Do you understand comrade?

I know what you're saying, but i see no reason why hed be more limited further in field.

Tbf ive had a watch of his assists & theyve all been lobs or crosses of some sort. But 3 or 4 are from closer to the middle of the pitch, so he can obviously pick a man out from there still.

As ive said before, he can move with the ball also & he'll recieve it wider on the pitch at times still as he actually looks for space unlike others. He'll just be dictating more of the play from the middle for the majority of the game, think itd only help us.

Yada Yada.

I know I'm only picking up on a small amount of your post but I thought Smith & Nolan were both diabolical tonight.  Their midfield had 60 yards of free space in front of them every time they broke from the back.

A 7 was generous for Nolan, probably - but not for Smith i'd say. Derby hardly came here to attack but Smith breaks up the play so well in this division and actually generates some forward momentum. He's meant to play deep - the full-backs have a chance to overlap and he passes the ball in a forward direction. It's good retaining of possession.

I honestly don't know what role Nolan plays. "The guy who scores quite a bit" is about the only label i can give him.

I thought Smith was appalling when they were playing down our right hand side in the first half and 3 of them were playing triangles around R Taylor and Simpson, but Smith still refused to leave the D on the edge of the 18 yard box to help out or break up those attacks.

He is primarily responsible for the fact that we sit too deep and invite teams on because he himself sits too deep when the opposition have the ball. Whether that's as a result of instructions he's been given or a choice he's making himself is another matter though.

I don't think Smith has much choice. He's not got the legs to chase the ball further upfield so he stays in position.

It looks to me that it is just part of the overall strategy for our rather immobile midfield to get behind the ball and snuff out attacks when they reach the penalty area. In nearly every game I've seen, the opposition has had plenty of possession, time and space - they just don't usually have the ability to take advantage.

I'm not very confident about Guthrie and don't see him as the answer. He's skilful but struggles under any kind of physical challenge and when pressured.

Barton can give us the boost we need. Is there any news about him?

In the Premier League perhaps, but even Smith & Nolan have their uses a level down.

I was expecting Guthrie to really come into his own at this lower level, but I feel he's been a real disappointment so far. Obviously he's been shunted out wide, which doesn't help, but he's so easily bullied off the ball and I can see why Hughton hasn't wanted to risk him in the middle.

Nolan v Guthrie is a difficult choice rather than an obvious one, I reckon.

Playing on the wing is totally different in terms of options though.  It's far easier to bully someone playing on the edge of the pitch if they aren't suited to beating/going past a man with the touchline in front of them as a cut off point for doing something with the ball.

Central midfield is totally different, with options either side of you and usually being in front of the goal as your cut off point.

Hughton's treatment of Guthrie has been nothing short of shocking.

His miss was a shocker though. Enough to make the eyes bleed.

Oh aye. An absolute sitter.

Some footballers really surprise me when they choose the lower corner or they shoot straight at the kepper during 1-on-1 situations.

It’s testament to where we are that we have a very disappointed and frustrated dressing room, but the reality is it was a good performance, another clean sheet and another game we haven’t lost at St James’.

:undecided:

Some footballers really surprise me when they choose the lower corner or they shoot straight at the kepper during 1-on-1 situations.

The better players can chip the ball slightly and put it over the keeper's body. A shot on the ground quite often hits an outstretched leg or something as the keeper spreads himself.

It’s testament to where we are that we have a very disappointed and frustrated dressing room, but the reality is it was a good performance, another clean sheet and another game we haven’t lost at St James’.

1st half maybe  :undecided:

Its testament to where we are that we have a very disappointed and frustrated dressing room, but the reality is it was a good performance, another clean sheet and another game we havent lost at St James.

Saw that, f***ing unbelievable.

Stinks of Allardyce & games against Derby.

Hughton will be as pissed off as anyone that we didn't win a match that we could and should have won  - he's just playing the spin game played by every manager in the world.

Its testament to where we are that we have a very disappointed and frustrated dressing room, but the reality is it was a good performance, another clean sheet and another game we havent lost at St James.

Saw that, f***ing unbelievable.

Stinks of Allardyce & games against Derby.

Hughton will be as pissed off as anyone that we didn't win a match that we could and should have won  - he's just playing the spin game played by every manager in the world.

The way he sets us up and the way we play after his half time team talks suggests that we're told to play on the defensive and "not get beat"

Guest toonlass

1st half maybe   :undecided:

1st 25 minutes maybe :-(

We could have been trounced and he'd have said much the same, his glass is always half full.

Agreed.  Every time we're crap he just says the division is tough.  You always hear Ferguson saying stuff like 'we weren't good enough' but never with Hughton.

We could have been trounced and he'd have said much the same, his glass is always half full.

Agreed.  Every time we're crap he just says the division is tough.  You always hear Ferguson saying stuff like 'we weren't good enough' but never with Hughton.

Do we? I can't remember the last post-match interview I saw with Ferguson after Man U lost.

He's always got an excuse or a go at the ref for not enough added time/bad decision and sends his assistant to the interview.