Could we survive?

Dave

One of the (many) problems with us is that I doubt we'd have the enthusiasm of most promoted teams. Teams like Hull come up and are running around playing for the lives, trying to prove a point etc. (first bit of the season anyway) whereas I get the feeling the likes of Nolan will be strolling around because they think they are established PL stars.

Very good point, and that's something we definitely struggled with last year when it came to the crunch. Many of our players didn't give a fuck because they knew they'd get a move anyway.

2/3 Signings and we'd survive.

The defence would do alright.

Probably need one prem standard striker to partner Loven & a central/right sided midfielder.

And to never use Butt/Geremi again.

Partner Loven? Don't make me laugh.

We won't survive if Ashley stays and even if he goes whoever comes in won't be able to buy and build a team just like that.

The Championship level of football is low and we're starting to falter, if we can't score against Derby and draw with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday we'd get slaughtered by the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea, and even Spurs, although it pains me to say it.

All of a sudden Houghton doesn't need any players, wtf? That's not what he said even two months ago.

We can only pray for a quick sale, it's our only hope.

Championship sides get results in cups against prem teams all the time. They step their game up, prem sides take it easy. I dont think its that representative of where we're at, we'll get a clearer idea when we play the better sides in this division. Right now we're better than them.

Loven will score goals if we use his pace & pass it through instead of over more often

Oh aye, can anyone else envision this? He struggles in the championship man.

Hes been on the wing the majority of the time, he was 2 goals and an assist in 3 games a few weeks ago after playing upfront & then got dropped.

He's already scored in the prem anyway.

We're talking about the minimum needed to avoid relegation, he could stay in the side and i think we'd stay up. That doesnt mean i wouldnt prefer we replace him. Id prefer we replaced most of the side, thats not realistic though. 2 signings is closer to reality right now & he's not a key position that needs fixing for the prem is he in comparison to others.

I don't see it as replacing Lovenkrands because he isn't even a starting player in the championship. The mere suggestion of him being in a first choice premiership Xl is beyond absurd.

To be fair to Lovenkrands, he managed 3 premiership goals in the time than Owen managed none. Still not good enough though.

Gonna be here for a while. Guthries often not been a starting player either. Doesnt mean much other than showing Hughton may not be the best decision maker as most of us know.

Lovens done fine all the times hes been upfront. His first game upfront for us this season he set up Harewoods strike onto the post, the next few he got goals and assists. Today hes played & our football in the first half was the best we've played in a good while. A good prem standard striker next to him & he'll form a decent partnership, good enough for the prem.

There are other positions that are bigger weaknesses that Lovenkrands playing upfront, this should be obvious.

In terms of first-choice, I think you could get away with Guthrie or Barton as a first choice alongside a much better partner.

Even Guthrie and Barton together would be better than what a fair few sides could field.

Jonas/Guthrie/Barton could all do a job in the prem.

Even Rtaylor has played at that standard and done OK with Wigan.

Lovenkrands has scored goals at that level & has the pace needed to cause problems if he gets the passes.

At the very least to stretch defences & make space for a better partner.

All we would need to do is be better than the 2 we go up with plus 1 more. Although it is easier said than done. I expect Ashley to try and sell the club over the summer mind, which would mean we buy fuck all and sink without a trace after he once again fails to sell.

All we would need to do is be better than the 2 we go up with plus 1 more. Although it is easier said than done. I expect Ashley to try and sell the club over the summer mind, which would mean we buy f*** all and sink without a trace after he once again fails to sell.

Yep. Don't understand people who say, "no chance", etc. Obviously it'll be an uphill struggle, but we'd at least be I think we'll at least stand a chance of staying up.