Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I still think he'd be a good signing. He's always looking to play off the last man, he doesn't get involved in much build play. All my mates tell me he needs 5 or 6 chances to score, but that tells me he's capable of getting into positions most strikers wouldn't, I don't mind that.

One word...

Bassong.

Relegated in the French league. Nobody knew who he was, sure we only paid £500K for him, on £15K a week but we gave him a chance.

Why couldn't Beckford be afforded the same.

Christ, everyone knows that some clubs suit players better than others. There is a thread somewhere about players that left us and have kicked on to play better in other teams. We could be Beckfords "other team" al a Andy Cole.

One word...

Bassong.

Relegated in the French league. Nobody knew who he was, sure we only paid £500K for him, on £15K a week but we gave him a chance.

Christ, everyone knows that some clubs suit players better than others. There is a thread somewhere about players that left us and have kicked on to play better in other teams. We could be Beckfords "other team" al a Andy Cole.

I don't see how Beckford, who's older, more hyped, and never played in the top division is in any way comparable to Bassong.

It's all immaterial anyway. My experience with NUFC tells me that the very fact that we've been discussing this lad for 41 pages means that he'll never sign for us.

One word...

Bassong.

He was bought as a squad player rather than banking on him securing promotion. I don't know enough about Beckford either way but it is a risk.

One word...

Bassong.

I don't see how Beckford, who's older, more hyped, and never played in the top division is in any way comparable to Bassong.

It's all immaterial anyway. My experience with NUFC tells me that the very fact that we've been discussing this lad for 41 pages means that he'll never sign for us.

My point still stands though. Why give one player the luxury of a chance and not afford it to the next? It's not like we're signing Robbie Savage!

Guest Roger Kint

I see no problem paying £2m+ for Beckford.  IMO if he shows he can do it in the Championship in the remainder of this season we could sell him for more then that in the summer if needs be.

What if he doesnt want to leave his wages here to go back to the Championship if we tried to sell him? Thats assuming that the club would ever do that....we all know they wont sell him in the summer tbh.

£15k isn't at all out of reach for Championship clubs, many players in this league already get more then that.

So now we are assuming whats on offer from clubs in the summer before the lads even spoke to us to find out what we are going to offer him? Jesus wept :idiot2:

No answer to the second part as to why the club would dump him before he played in the Premier League? We all know it wont happen, since when did Hughton develop a backbone??

We need a goalscorer to keep us at the top. 2mil isn't too much to pay considering promotion is worth about 40mil or whatever. Its hardly even a gamble in my eyes, even if its only for 4 months.

Guest Roger Kint

One word...

Bassong.

How about this word................................... clairefontaine?

Bassong was a product of Frances top academy, highly rated and still very young, for his fee/wages it was an easy decision to give him a chance!.

Beckford was chased from Chelsea, settled in Wealdstone til Leeds took him, now at 26 you assume history will score goals in the Premier League for him?

Any chance theres a minor flaw in your plan? ;D

One word...

Bassong.

My point still stands though. Why give one player the luxury of a chance and not afford it to the next? It's not like we're signing Robbie Savage!

We're not into giving chances, it's a football club, not Jim'll Fix It.

So if Beckford signs will all those naysayers just turn round and shout "told you so" after a couple of games without scoring, instead of encouraging him?

Guilty of being shit until proven otherwise.

Supporters of this fucking club all over really.  :facepalm:

Sometimes I think we deserve the likes of Cashley, FatFred et al.

So if Beckford signs will all those naysayers just turn round and shout "told you so" after a couple of games without scoring, instead of encouraging him?

Guilty of being s*** until proven otherwise.

Supporters of this f***ing club all over really.  :facepalm:

I'll support him if we buy him, but I don't think we should.

Is this position hard to understand?

Guest toonlass

Not at all. If he signs I will be 100% behind him to do well. However I think we are setting our sights too low tbh

Guilty of being shit until proven otherwise.

Supporters of this fucking club all over really.  :facepalm:

How did you get to there from what I said?

I have not seen Beckford play more than once, however, it seems reading posts on here that he needs chances. 

Having seen most of our games this season, we are definately NOT the right side for someone that needs this many chances.  We have been winning by the odd goal or two and in some games, with few chances, with others alot more.  Now, if the chances are not falling to him - or Ameobi for example, who is going to score? 

Ameobi (assuming he plays alongside Beckford) and Beckford would need about 10 chances in a game to score 1-2 goals.

On the balance of this, I cannot seeing him making that much of a difference.

With 4 strikers on the books already, all of which have scored goals this season, I think we need to address the service.  A creative midfielder and someone on the right would be the areas I would spend - not on a striker.

We also need to hope that the manager will realise we need to keep Guthrie in the side and in the MIDDLE - assuming we get no one else, not Nolan and Smith/Butt

If you read my posts on this page you won't actualy find me saying that we should buy him either.

Are my posts that hard to understand?

Guest Roger Kint

Not at all. If he signs I will be 100% behind him to do well. However I think we are setting our sights too low tbh

Exactly, its hardly a difficult concept to understand tbh

Yes, we'll all hope he fails because that will prove that we were right!  :dowie:

What we are saying is that he's a gamble and we don't agree with spending millions on him and giving him £15K a week based on League 1 performance.

If we do sign him we'll all obviously hope he's a massive success.

If you read my posts on this page you won't actualy find me saying that we should buy him either.

Are my posts that hard to understand?

Based on that reply? Ummm... Yes. :lol:

http://i48.tinypic.com/27zj32g.jpg

"Now then, now then, I've got this letter from a young boy called Jermaine..."

:clap:

So we didn't give Andy Cole a chance after he had bombed at Arsenal, and by all accounts had a shit attitude at Bristol City?

People weren't happy when we bought Bellamy. Coventry fans didn't rate him. He turned out to be a success for us. That doesn't guarantee Beckford is nailed on to do the same.