Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Roger Kint

I don't think this will get resolved until the end of January. From Leeds' point of view, they may as well postpone accepting the offer until the last minute so they get the most use out of the player.

This is assuming that our offer will still stand, which seems like a reasonable assumption, given that we've been after Beckford for a while.

I'm more worried about Beckford's attitude than his ability. He seems a rather mouthy character who could upset the harmony of the dressing room. Hopefully we have the characters who can put him in his place.

Barton?

Hum, I hope not. I'd rather he left it to the likes of Smudger and Nolan.

Really? Because everything I hear about Barton's attitude around the training ground and with the younger lads sounds really positive, and that is from the likes of Nolan and Smith. I am pretty sure that if someone was disrupting the team spirit that the lads seem to have, the likes of Smith, Harper, Nolan and Barton would be the ones to sort it out.

Agreed. the strong characters seen to be the ones to follow, even Barton is sober(its a start) the one thing i actually am in favour of is that Beckford would instantly be the little fish  and that could shake him up to change it(now thats optimism!!!) ???

I don't think this will get resolved until the end of January. From Leeds' point of view, they may as well postpone accepting the offer until the last minute so they get the most use out of the player.

This is assuming that our offer will still stand, which seems like a reasonable assumption, given that we've been after Beckford for a while.

I'm more worried about Beckford's attitude than his ability. He seems a rather mouthy character who could upset the harmony of the dressing room. Hopefully we have the characters who can put him in his place.

Barton?

Really? Because everything I hear about Barton's attitude around the training ground and with the younger lads sounds really positive, and that is from the likes of Nolan and Smith. I am pretty sure that if someone was disrupting the team spirit that the lads seem to have, the likes of Smith, Harper, Nolan and Barton would be the ones to sort it out.

Agreed. the strong characters seen to be the ones to follow, even Barton is sober(its a start) the one thing i actually am in favour of is that Beckford would instantly be the little fish  and that could shake him up to change it(now thats optimism!!!) ???

The strong characters are mostly the washed up players who have had better careers elsewhere and are here picking up their retirement funds as far as I can see. Barton, Smudger, Nolan, Butt, Geremi etc.

shame these fuckers got us relegated in the past but what the hey.

Forgot to mention, all these strong characters are on fairly big salaries but obviously they have earned them, no doubt we'll be fighting off bids from premier clubs for these stalwarts. 

Barton?

I'm sure there's more to Joey than the thug, but I still don't trust his temper.

Guest Roger Kint

Barton?

The strong characters are mostly the washed up players who have had better careers elsewhere and are here picking up their retirement funds as far as I can see. Barton, Smudger, Nolan, Butt, Geremi etc.

shame these fuckers got us relegated in the past but what the hey.

Nobody argues that but this is now, they are the ones whoe have united the dressing room as it is. I agree some of those are gone, my point remains though, if he learns from them(should we sign him) its a help but i still remain hugely sceptical

Barton?

Should be the manager's job

Barton?

I'm sure there's more to Joey than the thug, but I still don't trust his temper.

call me naive but i really think he's learned his lesson from his bad times and is a changed man who just wants to get on with football

Barton?

call me naive but i really think he's learned his lesson from his bad times and is a changed man who just wants to get on with football

I can certainly believe that he's made an effort and has acquired more self-control. Whether that makes him a 'changed man' is a different matter.

I hope that part of his rehab has been to avoid situations which trigger his unwanted behaviours, so he ought to leave any sorting out to the others.

Wolves and Sunderland have joined the race to sign Leeds striker Jermaine Beckford. Newcastle have already bid £1.5m for the 26-year-old who is valued at £2.5m by the Elland Road club.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/667770/PREM-DUO-ENTER-CHASE-FOR-BECKFORD.html

Bolton and Hull are also interested in former Wealdstone striker Beckford, who scored Leeds winner against Manchester United in the FA Cup last weekend.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Bolton-and-Hull-join-Newcastle-in-the-chase-for-Leeds-striker-Jermaine-Beckford-article282357.html

Yeah, god forbid we got Chopra (who has played and scored at PL level) over League 1 star Beckford.

It would be typical of the amateurish running of this club for the past decade though. Fail to give Chopra a chance when he was on our books and see what he was made of, then buy him back for an inflated fee after he's scored goals elsewhere.

Yeah, god forbid we got Chopra (who has played and scored at PL level) over League 1 star Beckford.

It would be typical of the amateurish running of this club for the past decade though. Fail to give Chopra a chance when he was on our books and see what he was made of, then buy him back for an inflated fee after he's scored goals elsewhere.

Maybe so, but he's still less of a risk than Beckford.

Maybe so, but he's still less of a risk than Beckford.

A matter of opnion, but if either of them goes on to have a half decent future in the prem I'd bet on it being Beckford.

Yeah, because they're the only two available strikers in the world...

People already seem enamored with Beckford who hasn't played football higher than League 1 but would turn their nose up at Chopra?  It's mental.

I know there are more strikers available, what's your point though?  You may as wall say Hughton is an idiot for signing Beckford because there are better strikers out there.

Chopra (Age 26)

PL goals: 9

Championship goals: 42

Beckford (Age 26)

PL goals: 0

Championship goals: 0

Not a very strong argument because Beckford hasn't had chances at the higher levels, but why not?  Both are the same age, it's not like Beckford is some lower league prodigy.  I wonder if Chopra had spent his whole career banging the goals in at League 1 whether people would have a different opinion.

Chopra (Age 26)

PL goals: 9

Championship goals: 42

Beckford (Age 26)

PL goals: 0

Championship goals: 0

Not a very strong argument because Beckford hasn't had chances at the higher levels, but why not?  Both are the same age, it's not likely Beckford is some lower league prodigy.  I wonder if Chopra had spent his whole career banging the goals in at League 1 whether people would have a different opinion.

:lol:

Years in the game missing from those stats

Chopra's had his chance and hasn't exactly set the world alight.

I'm not sure about Beckford but those stat compares are pathetic man. He hasn't had his chance at the top yet, so can't be judged against Chopra for PL goals.

@ Skirge

I said it wasn't a very good argument because Beckford has never had the chance to play higher than League 1 football.  He's older than Chopra though (by a few days I admit), so why not?

Chopra seems to have tarnished his reputation because he hasn't got a one in two record in the PL.  Beckford hasn't even got a one in two record in the Championship, let's see if he can do that first.

I'm not writing Beckford off and I really hope he scores bucket loads for us in the Championship and PL if he signs, let's not go on as if he's the best striker available though.

@ Jonny

Read my post properly: "Not a very strong argument because Beckford hasn't had chances at the higher levels", I realise that.  I just don't see the logic in giving Beckford the benefit of the doubt because he's never played PL football (remember we could say this about most League strikers) over Chopra (who is the same age) and has scored a few goals at PL level.

As I said, if Chopra had never played in the PL I'm sure everyone would be saying the same things they are about Beckford.

Maybe we should sign Rickie Lambert who's scored loads in League 1 but hasn't had a chance in the PL?