Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

EDIT: And age isn't a factor is the Harewood - Beckford debate as both will be obsolete when we get promoted.

If both will be obsolete and you're confident we'll get promoted ('when'), why not go for the cheaper option that will at least have some resale value?

Beckford is neccessarily the cheaper option. We'll lose money on both. But as I said, more confident on Harewood getting us there.

Should that be 'isn't'?

Anyway, fair enough. Personally I don't see there being a huge difference in the two for where we are now, other than that I wasn't impressed with Harewood and I'm willing to give Beckford a chance. I know what Harewood can and can't do at this and Premier League level already, whereas I don't know with Beckford. Despite your assurances, neither do you.

I'd take 'probably won't' over 'definitely won't' any day of the week.

EDIT: And age isn't a factor is the Harewood - Beckford debate as both will be obsolete when we get promoted.

why not go for the cheaper option that will at least have some resale value?

Fucking Ashley apologist. :nope: ;)

why not go for the cheaper option that will at least have some resale value?

Fucking Ashley apologist. :nope: ;)

Until the cunt leaves these are the considerations we have to make. :(

You can't say Beckford is a proven goalscorer as he has never proven it at the levels we will be playing at.

Tbh I would be more confident in Harewood to score goals in this league, I am unsure which one I would want. Beckford would be quite exciting as an unknown but Harewood would be the safe bet.

Just because he scored a couple of goals, lets not forget the half a dozen starts and appearances when Harewood did fuck all but stand and expect the ball to magnet itself to his foot.

I'd rather take a gamble on an unknown prospect, than someone who has continually frustrated me in his play this season. Especially since the majority of goals are coming from Nolan and Shola anyway.

Tbh I would be more confident in Harewood to score goals in this league, I am unsure which one I would want. Beckford would be quite exciting as an unknown but Harewood would be the safe bet.

this

we're pretty much sorted for promotion without signing anyone, so lets add some excitement to the side. Though ideally, he scores 10-ish goals, and gets sold in July for decent profit...

If we don't get in a goalscorer I can see both Forest and West Brom getting past us. We will lose too many points in shitty draws, just like the Derby and the second half of the Sheff Wed game. £2-3 million is nothing if we can get a goalscorer in, even if its just for this season. Worry about next season in the summer if we go up. But knowing this club, we will offer Harewood a 4 year deal at £30k a week or something.

Another thing, I can't believe our scouting has been so limited to about 3 players. If we don't get Beckford, we go in for Harewood. FFS! Its like last January when we were paying Wise a million a year to discover unknown gems like Nolan and Taylor.

If we don't get in a goalscorer I can see both Forest and West Brom getting past us. We will lose too many points in shitty draws, just like the Derby and the second half of the Sheff Wed game. £2-3 million is nothing if we can get a goalscorer in, even if its just for this season. Worry about next season in the summer if we go up. But knowing this club, we will offer Harewood a 4 year deal at £30k a week or something.

Another thing, I can't believe our scouting has been so limited to about 3 players. If we don't get Beckford, we go in for Harewood. FFS! Its like last January when we were paying Wise a million a year to discover unknown gems like Nolan and Taylor.

And yet we're not in for Aaron Maclean or George Boyd from Peterbrough who are apparently available for same price as Beckford...

Beckford reminds me a bit of Ian Wright, who also had a very slow start to his career. Wright was no great shakes technically, and was a mouthy sod, but on a matchday with the adrenalin pumping he'd somehow get goals that you wouldn't expect. He was a big personality who never felt inferior to the opposition.

And Bellamy is the prime example of the fact that you shouldn't pay too much attention to what a club's fans are saying. Beckford is rejecting Leeds, not the other way round.

I've just watched a compilation of Beckford's 20 goals from 07-08, and they were long range, short range, and with both feet. There were very few easy chances and he showed a real ability to improvise.

It looks like the lad has an ego the size of the Eiffel Tower, and that may well have held his career back. But he's not short of confidence and looks well worth the gamble. He certainly won't be overawed at a higher division.

Harewood is on loan to a Championship side for a reason - he's not good enough for the Premiership any more. Beckford I could imagine rising to the challenge.

Beckford and Ranger together is too good a chance to miss. They could be a lethal combination. Let's go for it.

Agree with every word.

How old was Andy Johnson when he made an impression on the Premiership? He is by no means a great striker (not worth £15m anyway ;)) but seemed to come through quite late and did well.

ouch :lol:

Sorry mate  :blush: :laugh:

He must have been about 24 or something when he came to prominence though. This is my blind faith in Beckford, if he signs.

And yet we're not in for Aaron Maclean or George Boyd from Peterbrough who are apparently available for same price as Beckford...

Aaron Maclean?  You'd really want us to go for that kind of mediocrity?

Think I'd rather take a chance on Beckford then either of those, but I'd have a fit if we signed Maclean.

Guest sittingontheball

I've just watched a compilation of Beckford's 20 goals from 07-08, and they were long range, short range, and with both feet. There were very few easy chances and he showed a real ability to improvise.

It looks like the lad has an ego the size of the Eiffel Tower, and that may well have held his career back. But he's not short of confidence and looks well worth the gamble. He certainly won't be overawed at a higher division.

Harewood is on loan to a Championship side for a reason - he's not good enough for the Premiership any more. Beckford I could imagine rising to the challenge.

Beckford and Ranger together is too good a chance to miss. They could be a lethal combination. Let's go for it.

Sounds good to me. I commented on the same compilation back on page 37, and you can see him chip the keeper from outside the box. He's clearly not a limited player just getting tap ins on a platter. A simple hoof over the top and he can make it happen.

Sorry to repeat it again, but Beckford's scored against Liverpool (stupid linesman) and ManUre this season. Not bad for someone who will struggle in the Championship.

Guest toonlass

Aaron Maclean?  You'd really want us to go for that kind of mediocrity?

Think I'd rather take a chance on Beckford then either of those, but I'd have a fit if we signed Maclean.

No I'd rather take a chance on a third division player who has never been tested at a higher level, or an over the hill has-been who looked lazy at best.

Mclean has 7 goals in 25 games.  Around the same record as Andy Carroll..

I'd certainly rather take a chance on a third division player who hasn't been tested in this league but could be good rather then a second division player who's been no better then one of our second/third choice strikers.