Joey Barton blasts players' lifestyle

David28

Guest toonlass

Joey Barton, Lee McCormick, Lee Hughes, Godwin Okpara, and O.J. Simpson should get together and start a coalition to eradicate this bad behavior from players lives off the pitch.

Howay man. Joey Barton didn't kill anyone. Aye he's a bad bugger, but that is a s**** comparison.

then again bartons actions were intentional whereas hughes and mcormicks though stupid and dangerous, they didn't actually set out to harm anyone.

What a poor defence to drink driving offences. "Ooooh I was 3 times over the limit and know that it is illegal to drink and drive but I didn't really mean to kill anyone"

Joey Barton, Lee McCormick, Lee Hughes, Godwin Okpara, and O.J. Simpson should get together and start a coalition to eradicate this bad behavior from players lives off the pitch.

Howay man. Joey Barton didn't kill anyone. Aye he's a bad bugger, but that is a s**** comparison.

then again bartons actions were intentional whereas hughes and mcormicks though stupid and dangerous, they didn't actually set out to harm anyone.

What a poor defence to drink driving offences. "Ooooh I was 3 times over the limit and know that it is illegal to drink and drive but I didn't really mean to kill anyone"

it is no defence of drink driving but intent is a massive part in law.

Guest toonlass

I don't disute it, but Babatunde comparing Barton beating up a scally charva and Mccormack and Hughes being complete brain dead imbiciles and driving when drunk and killing people through their actions isn't a fair comparison.

I know I am coming over as a Barton apologist, and I don't want to really (I think he should have been sacked by Newcastle when he was jailed and think we shouldn't have signed him initially because he was known to be a bad egg who lost his temper far too easily) but he has spent two years reforming his character, he stopped drinking as he realised he couldn't handle being drunk and that he got into trouble through it. I think the lad needs to be given a little bit of credit for that.

I don't disute it, but Babatunde comparing Barton beating up a scally charva and Mccormack and Hughes being complete brain dead imbiciles and driving when drunk and killing people through their actions isn't a fair comparison.

I know I am coming over as a Barton apologist, and I don't want to really (I think he should have been sacked by Newcastle when he was jailed and think we shouldn't have signed him initially because he was known to be a bad egg who lost his temper far too easily) but he has spent two years reforming his character, he stopped drinking as he realised he couldn't handle being drunk and that he got into trouble through it. I think the lad needs to be given a little bit of credit for that.

but the attack on the training pitch wasn't when he was drunk. you could argue he's used the drink as an excuse.

Guest firetotheworks

Dont agree with that. For one you could argue that Barton is a scally charva poster boy, and again he intended to do harm to a few people. McCormack and Hughes though stupid, naive, selfish, irresponsible etc etc didn't set out to hurt anyone, not an excuse for it, but there's little excuse for Barton's actions either too.

Guest toonlass

but the attack on the training pitch wasn't when he was drunk. you could argue he's used the drink as an excuse.

You could, and we shouldn't have bought him knowing that and the cigar incident.  But he has gone through therapy and anger management too at the Sporting Chance clinic. He is at least attempting to sort his life out. I am not saying he should be sainted or anything but I can see that he is making an effort to improve himself and his behaviour.

You could, and we shouldn't have bought him knowing that and the cigar incident.  But he has gone through therapy and anger management too at the Sporting Chance clinic. He is at least attempting to sort his life out. I am not saying he should be sainted or anything but I can see that he is making an effort to improve himself and his behaviour.

If you listen to the audio he only went there in the first instance because it reduced his fine from Man City.

Guest toonlass

If you listen to the audio he only went there in the first instance because it reduced his fine from Man City.

and...?

He learned nowt from his time there?

If he screws up again then it has all been worthless. But in the past two years he seems to have calmed right down, kicked the drinking and made a lot of positive changes in his life. So it did him some good, no?

and...?

He learned nowt from his time there?

If he screws up again then it has all been worthless. But in the past two years he seems to have calmed right down, kicked the drinking and made a lot of positive changes in his life. So it did him some good, no?

Well considering he went there first in 2005 and has had several problems since then I'm not completely convinced it made much difference. As others have pointed out, he needs to cut the smalltalk about how he's a changed man and prove it.

We'll see.

Here is a refreshing take on his interview....

Are you willing to give Joey Barton a chance? - Mike Norrish, The Telegraph

Considering Joey Barton’s previous attacks on his fellow footballers, calling them “knobs” pretty gentle fare. They might be slightly annoyed, but it’s not like having your cheekbone shattered is it? Or having a lit cigar stubbed in your eye?

Barton’s comments came in a fascinating interview on Radio 4’s Today programme. And before you accuse Today of dumbing down, have a read of what Barton had to say about the game. It’s one of the more honest, revealing – and, yes, intelligent – interviews you’ll hear from a footballer.

On immature millionaire players: “I know this is probably gonna carry, but most footballers are knobs. They are so detached from real life it’s untrue. But my brain then goes to ‘how has that happened?’ And I’ve been like that. There was a stage when I was like that. I signed for a club when I was eight and went straight from school into a YTS academy. I’ve never lived in the real world. You grow up in an environment where, as long as you’re a good player, you’re told that you’re the best all the time. At the age of 20 I was earning more money than everyone in my family. And I’d never grown up, I was still a child, it was like a Peter Pan world. There’s always an agent who’ll sort your contract out or your car out or your mortgage out and you never have to do anything. And so you’ve got a situation where your driving round in flash cars and changing them like you change your socks, wearing stupid diamond watches and spending money like it’s going out of fashion in the middle of a recession.”

On the relation between alcohol and violence: “Whether you’re the best footballer in the world or the best golfer or the best cricketer, you’re a human being. You might be good at that [sport] but you might be crap at life. All men will have problems. We’re a working class game and we’re lads who’ve come from nothing and all of a sudden are seen by society to earn an obscene amount of money. My last night out probably cost me about £500,000 plus my reputation but I never stopped drinking. That’s the crazy thing. I bamboozled my own brain into thinking that it wasn’t drinking that was the problem. But then I got sent to jail and you just think is it worth it? Is it worth taking yourself into that zone where you could self-destruct?”

On abuse from the stands: “I played at the Emirates and was warming up, and I guy shouted that he was going to slit my throat. I thought hang on a minute, the reason your saying that is because I’ve been involved in trouble, and yet your way of saying you’re gonna deal with that is telling gonna me you’re gonna slit my throat. There was children and women around and no one says, ‘hang on, you’ve gone a bit far there.’ It’s normal.”

On the media: “I’m thankful for the media of this country. If it wasn’t for them vilifying me then I wouldn’t have been forced to confront these issues. They forced me, by shaming me, into growing up. I may have pissed my career up the wall, I may never have grown up.”

Barton’s take on the media is particularly interesting. Because he has acted like a vicious and remorseless thug for so long, most observers have given up on him. But it’s amazing what a bit of sincerity can do, isn’t it?

Actions speak louder than words of course. But Barton’s words are certainly refreshing, particularly as he’s not trying to flog an autobiography. And that’s another subject, of course, on which he’s worth listening to…

• 4 months later...

Reading the OP back, it makes good sense really. I like Barton he talks a lot of sense.

for someone who's been in the shit hes been in hes a lot more articulate than you'd expect, one of the brighter footballers around