Reading vs Newcastle United Pre Match Thread - 13/04/10 - 8pm

Stifler

Guest Roger Kint

Well, could be a blessing in disguise, their confidence is sky high after that result against Liverpool, a beating in the cup will drag them back down to earth, which is exactly where we want to play them, on their usual being s**** at home.

spot on tbh. Has some good things that the game is off.

Well if we get beat against WBA we could have well and truly wasted our lead at the top, some blessing that would be

Guest toonlass

Why?

Because we all have amnesia and forget what happened last time it snowed and so it stuns us into doing fuck all about the next time it might happen.

Guest Roger Kint

Strange that Middlesbrough's game hasn't been called off yet.

They havent imported enough snow yet

Hasn't been canceled because no one goes to their games anyway.

Good point, Swansea fans wont be rushing to make that trip either

Why?

Because we all have amnesia and forget what happened last time it snowed and so it stuns us into doing fuck all about the next time it might happen.

So there are plows and sand/salt trucks? Are they just idle?

Well, could be a blessing in disguise, their confidence is sky high after that result against Liverpool, a beating in the cup will drag them back down to earth, which is exactly where we want to play them, on their usual being s**** at home.

spot on tbh. Has some good things that the game is off.

Well if we get beat against WBA we could have well and truly wasted our lead at the top, some blessing that would be

The way Reading played against Liverpool Id fancy them to beat West Brom, so im just happy that the match has been delayed for Reading to get back to their usual selves when we play them again. Either way,  if we lost against WBA at home and wasted our lead at the top, it will not be because of the Reading match, nor WBA match, it will be because of the two draws to poor opposition in the last two games of December.

Guest toonlass

Why?

Oh yes, but they cost money to send out you know. And by the time the local authorities come to a decision to spend that money on gritting and plowing the roads, rather than lining their pockets and putting on needless finger buffets for themselves, it will be June.

Guest Roger Kint

The way Reading played against Liverpool Id fancy them to beat West Brom, so im just happy that the match has been delayed for Reading to get back to their usual selves when we play them again. Either way,  if we lost against WBA at home and wasted our lead at the top, it will not be because of the Reading match, nor WBA match, it will be because of the two draws to poor opposition in the last two games of December.

???

???

:facepalm: Thats IF they played against West Brom and they arent, its just an imaginary scenario, and you know thats what I meant.

Why?

Oh yes, but they cost money to send out you know. And by the time the local authorities come to a decision to spend that money on gritting and plowing the roads, rather than lining their pockets and putting on needless finger buffets for themselves, it will be June.

:lol: Finger buffets.

Oh well, it's for the best anyway. Sap some of that Liverpool momentum.

This country is an absolute joke. How can they play NFL games in America in temperatures as low as -15C and with 2 foot of snow on the ground and approach roads yet we cant play a game in 0C and six inches of snow?

I blame the HSE for all the nonesense they have come out with in the last 15 years. They have turned is soft man.

The NFL have snow games yes with a few inches on the turf but to say 2 feet of snow is ridiculous thats 24 inches which in most people is knee deep you couldnt move FFS

I dont mean 2 foot of snow on the pitch when the game is taking place, obviously. The snow would be cleared from the pitch. I mean out in the streets. At worst, 2 foot of snow would force the game to be delayed by a few hours to clear routes but called off it most certainly would not be.

Can't remember an NFL game ever being delayed by snow off the top of my head. Are there no plows in England?

Just a couple of weeks ago, 2 games were delayed because of 2 foot of snow:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/12/19/massive-snow-storm-delays-nfl-games/

Guest Roger Kint

???

:facepalm: Thats IF they played against West Brom and they arent, its just an imaginary scenario, and you know thats what I meant.

We were talking the next two weeks then you bring in a match which doesnt happen til late March and expect me to be a mind reader? If you seriously think that Reading have suddenly become a good team after 1 draw then good for you, most people reailse 1 result doesnt make a season. Players find extra for FA Cup games you know, it doesnt suddenly alter the fact they arent relegation strugglers at present. Now we are going to have most of our first choice team with no football since 28th December til 18th Jan(unless he goes full strength in the cup) its hardly a bonus.

???

We were talking the next two weeks then you bring in a match which doesnt happen til late March and expect me to be a mind reader? If you seriously think that Reading have suddenly become a good team after 1 draw then good for you, most people reailse 1 result doesnt make a season. Players find extra for FA Cup games you know, it doesnt suddenly alter the fact they arent relegation strugglers at present. Now we are going to have most of our first choice team with no football since 28th December til 18th Jan(unless he goes full strength in the cup) its hardly a bonus.

Their going to go through a honey-moon period under their interim-soon-to-be-manager you can just tell, the same thing is happening with Plymouth right now, its predictable as fuck. As far as the "Extra effort" for the cup, yeah thats no surprise, Im within the "most people" catetigory that you say, but the fact its us and their high on confidence, and how teams always want to grab the headlines by beating us in this league which is why I feared them.

As far as the fitness front goes, your right, it is a massive disadvantage.

This country is an absolute joke. How can they play NFL games in America in temperatures as low as -15C and with 2 foot of snow on the ground and approach roads yet we cant play a game in 0C and six inches of snow?

I blame the HSE for all the nonesense they have come out with in the last 15 years. They have turned is soft man.

The NFL have snow games yes with a few inches on the turf but to say 2 feet of snow is ridiculous thats 24 inches which in most people is knee deep you couldnt move FFS

I dont mean 2 foot of snow on the pitch when the game is taking place, obviously. The snow would be cleared from the pitch. I mean out in the streets. At worst, 2 foot of snow would force the game to be delayed by a few hours to clear routes but called off it most certainly would not be.

Can't remember an NFL game ever being delayed by snow off the top of my head. Are there no plows in England?

NFL games can only be called off in 2 cases...electrical storm and natural disaster

Yes, in North America they do play (American) football in the snow. But they do not play soccer. Big difference. Like many of the colder regions of the world (Scandinavia, Russia), the North Americans schedule their season around the snows of winter--- this goes way back to the days of the NAFBL (fifty odd years before the NASL by the way).  The Germans at least have the good sense to take a winter break.

I would have thought the transport links are a major issue, trains in and out of london are disgracefully poor at the moment and it would be a right arse on trying to ship 10k extra people in and out.

Yes, in North America they do play (American) football in the snow. But they do not play soccer. Big difference. Like many of the colder regions of the world (Scandinavia, Russia), the North Americans schedule their season around the snows of winter--- this goes way back to the days of the NAFBL (fifty odd years before the NASL by the way).  The Germans at least have the good sense to take a winter break.

But the main issue here is that games are being called off for crowd saftey reasons. Not because the actual game itself cannot go ahead. So I dont really see your point.

My point was that given the situation I described above, proper cold, proper snow etc, the games still arent called off for crowd safety reasons.