The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Because people are forgetting how god awful we've been at times this season, and how suicidal it was under Hughton in the Premiership.

Dropping a division doesn't suddenly make him a decent manager, just like it doesn't make Nolan an effective midfielder.

I appreciate he took on a difficult job and has steadied the ship somewhat, but the sooner he's demoted back to first team coach, the better IMO. Call me harsh but he's made too many questionable decisions this season, as if hes been trying to test the limits of how poor at finishing the opposition in this league really are.

You've got to give Hughton the benefit of the doubt when it comes to comparing this season with last - he's still learning and I do believe he's gradually getting more savvy and ballsy with every match. You can see in the way he acts on the touchline that the Hughton who took us into battle last season is a different monster to the Hughton who has guided us to the top of the league this season.

That said I think it's incredibly difficult to rate Hughton based on this season because we're not a normal Championship club. You could've took a straw poll of 100 fans prior to the first game at WBA and you'd have no consensus as to where we were going to finish. We could've been first, we could've been last. Thankfully NUFC under Chris Hughton seems to be aiming for the former rather than fighting off the latter.

Next season I'd keep him as manager. I don't know who we could realistically get who would be much better and I don't fancy having to give said marginally better manager six months to 'stamp his mark' on the team while we're fighting relegation.

I really can't see what else Hughton could have done better this season TBH - he took a club in freefall on and off the pitch and with some of the main names gone and fashioned them into a winning side with none of the roller coaster performances of the past

Maybe we are a poor PL side int eh Championship but I think we'll be better than about 7 teams in the PL next season

I really can't see what else Hughton could have done better this season TBH - he took a club in freefall on and off the pitch and with some of the main names gone and fashioned them into a winning side with none of the roller coaster performances of the past

Maybe we are a poor PL side int eh Championship but I think we'll be better than about 7 teams in the PL next season

In terms of starting XI, I think a midfielder to go alongside Barton or Guthrie and a centre-forward would see us competing for 15th to 18th, obviously need a lot more than that to stay up comfortably.

If we were in the top flight this year we could quite easily finish anywhere from 11th to 20th. There are far too many shite teams in the Premier League nowadays.

If we were in the top flight this year we could quite easily finish anywhere from 11th to 20th. There are far too many s**** teams in the Premier League nowadays.

Most of which we finished below last season, with alot of the players on the pitch currently.

I don't think adding Routledge, Best, Simpson and Williamson to replace Duff, Martins, Owen, Beye and Bassong will change anything.

If we were in the top flight this year we could quite easily finish anywhere from 11th to 20th. There are far too many s**** teams in the Premier League nowadays.

Most of which we finished below last season, with alot of the players on the pitch currently.

I don't think adding Routledge, Best, Simpson and Williamson to replace Duff, Martins, Owen, Beye and Bassong will change anything.

Now we have a team.

Now we have a team.

A team that is better gelled, but technically worse. We won't stay up without ridiculously significant improvement.

Now we have a team.

A team that is better gelled, but technically worse. We won't stay up without ridiculously significant improvement.

Hull had a team that was technically worse but they finished above us.

maybe team morale, working for each other etc - making up for what they lack in quality compared to the aforemnetioned pampered superstars

I honestly tink that Houghton has done an excellent job, honestly how many of you were sure when we got relegated that in 10 months time we'd be in the position that we are now? He far exceeded our expectations and has built a side which gets results and is top of the championship. A side with a result-driven mentality. I think Houghton should stay as our manager for at least the first season back. Honestly, the difference between a mid-low table team and a relegation-zone team is not really down to an attractive footbaling system that plays exciting football. The difference is more often than not, a team with good morale, confidence and a ruthless attitude. Houghton has built a team that has built momentum throughout the season, and if we're to stay up next season, we need to carry this momentum into the premier league and get as many points in the bag early in the season when other teams aren't in full gear (once they reach full gear we'd probably find it hard to keep up).

What we need to do to survive is not only strengthen our team, but to carry the momemtum we've built into the premier league, getting a new manager in with a new system which the players have to get used to will break the momentum we've built, albeit it may be a better system, it might not necessarily guarantee us staying up. We need to stay with Houghton to keep us up, and solidify our position as a mid-table-lower table premierleague side (not a yoyo side) before we change managers to move on and creep up the table.

Team gel and morale or not, I just can't understand why anybody would think that a team that got relegated last season, minus some of its best players, would stay up if promoted?

Not saying we will still up (in fact I have said all along we need a lot of changes) but the majority of the "better" players were shit last season and just couldn't be arsed. The only one I think we really miss is Bassong the problem was and still is the centre of midfield, I can't see us not signing any more players in the summer (I know that is a bold statement under Ashley) but if we sign a good, mobile centre mid and a decent striker I think we will be in a better position than we were when we went down.

Team gel and morale or not, I just can't understand why anybody would think that a team that got relegated last season, minus some of its best players, would stay up if promoted?

Not saying we will still up (in fact I have said all along we need a lot of changes) but the majority of the "better" players were shit last season and just couldn't be arsed. The only one I think we really miss is Bassong the problem was and still is the centre of midfield, I can't see us not signing any more players in the summer (I know that is a bold statement under Ashley) but if we sign a good, mobile centre mid and a decent striker I think we will be in a better position than we were when we went down.

It's also much more than just simply a case of not being good enough on the pitch last season either. You only have to look how we started the season with what seemed like some stability to see that we'd have been worth more than 1 point had we not imploded.

The same is pretty much happening with Portsmouth this year, they have some decent players and I wouldn't say they are the worst in the league, but there's a lot of other things contributing to their downfall. Unfortunately you can't just forget everything that's going on once you step onto the pitch.

To stay up next season we have to finish above the two teams we're probably going to beat this year, plus one from the likes of Hull, Bolton, Wolves, Wigan, etc. Very achievable imo.

That is a very good point that I hadn't even considered. I still think we need a fair bit of investment but it's not a certainty we will come straight back down. We need some bloody legs in the centre of midfield though otherwise we will get bummed in the face every week.

The bottom line is, I have more confidence in West Brom and whoever else comes to survive than us. Without significant investment in the team we all know which current midfielder will start 30+ league games next season and effectively have us playing with ten men from the kick off (for the 3rd season running).

He has to go.

The bottom line is, I have more confidence in West Brom and whoever else comes to survive than us. Without significant investment in the team we all know which current midfielder will start 30+ league games next season and effectively have us playing with ten men from the kick off (for the 3rd season running).

He has to go.

Why? They may play "pretty" football but we have been more effective, "pretty" football doesn't do much good in the premiership either unless you have the players and I can't see them spending £100m+ to do it.