The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's had better players at his disposal this season and yet often i've thought we've looked like the worst team. It has been the oppostions lack of ability as individual players that has allowed to get points. The other teams have often (not always, obviously) looked more organised, coherent and motivated.

Next season we'll be playing teams with at best on par players and regularly teams with better players than ours.

I just can't see Hughton moulding a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. That is my view based on this season.

I'm absolutely staggered that you think that in most games the other team has 'looked more organised, coherent and motivated'. Seriously? ???

It's just not true that we've won the league while playing terribly, being unmotivated and being outplayed every week. It's not possible.

We've had some poor performances, no doubt, but have we forgotten how awful we were when we went down?

It's a difficult one. I think Hughton has done extremely well under the circumstances and should be given a lot of credit for steering us to auto, but I'm interested to see how long it takes before people want him sacked if we start poor next season following the recent fondness towards him.

It's a difficult one. I think Hughton has done extremely well under the circumstances and should be given a lot of credit for steering us to auto, but I'm interested to see how long it takes before people want him sacked if we start poor next season following the recent fondness towards him.

I'd be surprised if the majority weren't spectical about how he'll do next season. Even those who have sung his praises as high as possible this season, like meself.

He's had better players at his disposal this season and yet often i've thought we've looked like the worst team. It has been the oppostions lack of ability as individual players that has allowed to get points. The other teams have often (not always, obviously) looked more organised, coherent and motivated.

Next season we'll be playing teams with at best on par players and regularly teams with better players than ours.

I just can't see Hughton moulding a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. That is my view based on this season.

I'm absolutely staggered that you think that in most games the other team has 'looked more organised, coherent and motivated'. Seriously? ???

Totally f**king serious, unfortunately. Strikers in this league can't keep their heads and defenders don't concetrate for 90 minutes. So we've done well at either end, in the middle however........

Totally f**king serious, unfortunately. Strikers in this league can't keep their heads and defenders don't concetrate for 90 minutes. So we've done well at either end, in the middle however........

Fucking hell :lol:

f***ing hell :lol:

My very words watching our midfield this season. I totally hope i look like a mug next season as Hughton puts together a decent team. I'm worried you will instead.

I don't know where this "Hughton wankfest" a couple have mentioned has happened. I think the most glowing praise he has received on here is that he has done a good job, deserves a chance next year but not sure how he will do.

I don't think Noah needs to build the spunk arc just yet if that's considered a wankfest!

I don't know where this "Hughton wankfest" a couple have mentioned has happened. I think the most glowing praise he has received on here is that he has done a good job, deserves a chance next year but not sure how he will do.

I don't think Noah needs to build the spunk arc just yet if that's considered a wankfest!

That confuses me somewhat. You're obviously not convinced he's up to it which is why you've added the caveat 'not sure how he'll do.'

I know you can never tell but if he doesn't have your confidence why would you be happy to give him the chance?

I'd rather have someone with a track record because i expect next season to very difficult. I don't expect us to sign the quality of players to make the squad a mid table finish which means we could be in another relegation dogfight with half a squad that's been down once already and the other half cheap buys or free transfers.

There isn't a single manager who we could realistically attract who I know would definitely do a great job next season so stability seems like the one advantage CH has over anyone else.

Guest malandro

It might not be a popular in certain circles, but it is a fact that Hughton found himself managing the most expensively assembled and highly paid squad in the division. Not to mention by far the best supported team. He started with an advantage and maintained it. This isn’t to take away from what he has achieved, only to put it into perspective.

Perhaps the debate needs to be turned around and ask what could he have done to scupper our promotion bid that he didn’t?

Rewind......in August this expensively assembled squad made up various managers signings was going drag the club down financially off the pitch & take us directly to L1 on it.

Which CCC team started the season with a better squad of players than NUFC?

We had a better squad than Hull but that counted for f*** all man.

Take a refresher with SKYSPORTS.COM to see how they thought we were going to do this season http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_5463544,00.html

Pre-season we had no manager & got trashed by Leyton Orient, fairplay to you for thinking we were going to piss this league

I’m not interested in Sky Sports, or what people’s perceptions of the CCC were in August. I thought we might struggle, but then again I hadn’t taken much interest in the CC for 15 years. When it comes to assessing how well Hughton has done the starting point has to be what he had to work with. So, which CCC team started the season with a better squad of players than NUFC?

A few things you say haven't taken much interest in CCC for 15 years yet you seem to be clued up on how well Keano did in the CCC. Mackem fan are we? You thought we would struggle why is that? Your not bothered about peoples perceptions of the CCC in August yet you ask "which CCC team started the season with a better squad of players than NUFC". We had the squad with the most big names & players on the most coin per week if that is what you want to read but then & I JUST KNOW YOUR NOT INTRESTED BUT SO DID LEED's & VARIOUS OTHER FORMER PL CLUBS WHEN THEY WENT DOWN. Our players have had the right man in charge of them this season & for that he deserves a crack in the PL, may not be the correct man long term but he has earned his chance.

Now we can too & fro message but I cant see you posting anything that will change my mind & I doubt I am going to change your dislike for CH as you have been at it for while in this thread.

You still haven’t answered the question.

Guest malandro

I'm happy enough to see how he does next season but I don't see why everybody should have the same opinion.  malandro has every right to form his own opinion and then to express it.  I think the chances of Hughton turning out to be a good manager are 50/50 so it could go either way for him.

I don't think Hughton has been as good as some people think he's been and that is mainly down to some of the reasons already mentioned.  Our squad is better than anything in this league and we look to have done as well as we should have with the players at our disposal.

Hughton has won me over but I'm not totally convinced that he can make the step up, I do now think he should be given the chance to prove himself and that wasn't the case 2 months ago.

Yes malandro is entitled to form and express his own opinions of course, but with his kind of approach it begs the question, how much time/patience will Hughton get from the faithful next season should things not get off to the best of starts? We've been crying out a long time for a young ambitious manager who we could give time to build a squad here, and I think Hughton deserves a real go of things the way he has handled himself, Ashley and the players this season. If people with malandro's opinion on Hughton outnumber those who support him, it would worry me more than Hughton's credentials as a PL manager.

WTF does that mean?

I'm happy enough to see how he does next season but I don't see why everybody should have the same opinion.  malandro has every right to form his own opinion and then to express it.  I think the chances of Hughton turning out to be a good manager are 50/50 so it could go either way for him.

I don't think Hughton has been as good as some people think he's been and that is mainly down to some of the reasons already mentioned.  Our squad is better than anything in this league and we look to have done as well as we should have with the players at our disposal.

Hughton has won me over but I'm not totally convinced that he can make the step up, I do now think he should be given the chance to prove himself and that wasn't the case 2 months ago.

Yes malandro is entitled to form and express his own opinions of course, but with his kind of approach it begs the question, how much time/patience will Hughton get from the faithful next season should things not get off to the best of starts? We've been crying out a long time for a young ambitious manager who we could give time to build a squad here, and I think Hughton deserves a real go of things the way he has handled himself, Ashley and the players this season. If people with malandro's opinion on Hughton outnumber those who support him, it would worry me more than Hughton's credentials as a PL manager.

WTF does that mean?

I could be wrong but i think he means that if people aren't prerapared to support or give Hughton time then our problem isn't Hughton but our fans, atleast that is what i thinlk he is trying to say ?

Guest malandro

Wouldn't that mean he was assuming supporters who have doubts about Hughton will be the ones booing if things go wrong? In my experience the boo boys are the ones with unrealistic expectations, the ones whose opinions get blown about by short term events. On that basis it will be the people who are convinced one season proves he’s top notch who will be most disappointed if we aren’t whipping Wigan at home.

Whatever happens next season, Hughton will go down in Toon Folklore for this season a lone. His coaching is fine, and never in question, his man management skills seem a bit lax and apparently just lets the players get on with it. His tactics are often missing, I think Calderwood steps in there, and his sub decisions are often forced through injury/tiredness, never done with a tactical change in mind.

I think we have a great ensemble of coaching staff that have earned us potential promotion, which is perhaps what we've needed for a long time.

Pretty fair assessment based on their time together at Spurs.  You may well have the makings of a sound management team which would be good enough for next season.

Wouldn't that mean he was assuming supporters who have doubts about Hughton will be the ones booing if things go wrong? In my experience the boo boys are the ones with unrealistic expectations, the ones whose opinions get blown about by short term events. On that basis it will be the people who are convinced one season proves he’s top notch who will be most disappointed if we aren’t whipping Wigan at home.

I dont believe in booing, have never and never will boo. Yes that was what I meant (sat here with high fever so my writing isn't the most cohesive atm).

I'm not saying that I'm convinced he's top notch going by one season. What I'm saying is that our success this season is down to Hughton. Same as our failure under Allardyce's short tenure was down to Allardyce.

The stability he has managed to bring to the club, and the "back to basics" approach he's taken with the players have been the main reason for our success this season imo. This club has needed it badly for years, and nee fucker since Sir Bobby knew how to do it. Not even Kevin Keegan. Hughton has managed to get a bunch of under-performing prima donnas who relegated the club last year to play football again, and has got them enjoying it too. That cannot be underestimated, and I find it staggering that some won't even give him credit for that!

Guest malandro

I dont believe in booing, have never and never will boo. Yes that was what I meant (sat here with high fever so my writing isn't the most cohesive atm).

I'm not saying that I'm convinced he's top notch going by one season. What I'm saying is that our success this season is down to Hughton. Same as our failure under Allardyce's short tenure was down to Allardyce.

The stability he has managed to bring to the club, and the "back to basics" approach he's taken with the players have been the main reason for our success this season imo. This club has needed it badly for years, and nee f***er since Sir Bobby knew how to do it. Not even Kevin Keegan. Hughton has managed to get a bunch of under-performing prima donnas who relegated the club last year to play football again, and has got them enjoying it too. That cannot be underestimated, and I find it staggering that some won't even give him credit for that!

As I’ve already said. I’m not saying Hughton hasn’t done a good job. Or that he hasn’t earned a crack at the next challenge. Replacing him with somebody else this summer would be madness. I do though think properly analysing what the task was is a better option that saying we’re top of the league he must me brilliant.

Somebody was prattling on about Leeds earlier and they’re an interesting parallel. They’d already sold most their best players before they were relegated to the CCC, and then had to sell Viduka, Milner, Robinson and Smith post relegation. Yet with a team made up largely of loan signings and free transfers Kevin Blackwell took them to the play offs. KB deserved credit for this, but it didn’t prove he was a top manager.

Guest Chris P

Thats knee jurk if ever isaw it, and who ever said he was top notch.

Just enjoy it instead of getting your knickers in a twist

He's made mistakes this season - quite a few of them actually - but at least he appears to be learning from them. I've got no problem with anyone dropping a bollock as long as they don't drop the same one again. Bar Derby away he's got the team more or less spot on. He fucked up badly at Leicester but he's done well this season on the whole. If he continues to improve then we might be ok. We'll see. 

Guest malandro

what makes you think hughton is young and ambitious, or has the ability to build a squad worthy of the club?

just interested

what makes you think he isn't ?

He’s 51 and it took him sixteen years to get his first managerial post?

He's made mistakes this season - quite a few of them actually - but at least he appears to be learning from them. I've got no problem with anyone dropping a bollock as long as they don't drop the same one again. Bar Derby away he's got the team more or less spot on. He f***ed up badly at Leicester but he's done well this season on the whole. If he continues to improve then we might be ok. We'll see.  

Ironically, Derby away being the one match where he picked a starting XI away from home that 95% of the fans would have went with.

what makes you think hughton is young and ambitious, or has the ability to build a squad worthy of the club?

just interested

what makes you think he isn't ?

He’s 51 and it took him sixteen years to get his first managerial post?

i was thinking more on the ability lines myself, he's done well this season even if it took him a while to dump smith/butt and brought in players for the positions needed.

Guest malandro

Thats knee jurk if ever isaw it, and who ever said he was top notch.

Just enjoy it instead of getting your knickers in a twist

The only people getting their knickers in a twist are those who can’t accept any opinion that diverges from the partyline. If you choose to swallow all the gumpf that’s been written about Hughton this season that’s your prerogative. I prefer to give him credit for what he’s done this season and wait until he’s proven himself in more testing circumstances before getting a stiffy.