The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lovenkrands is premiership class

Which is why nobody wanted him last summer. And why he managed 10 league goals for us minus penalties.

He's an average championship player who's past his best.

I agree. I like the lad, but he is not premiership class.

I think he might be effective off the bench, right now we dont have a whole lot of choice but to play him unless we are going to set up shop in defence/midfield.

I dont think he is half as terrible as people are making out though. He has decent movement and a good finish on him and more pace than any other striker we have currently.

He chipped in with a couple of goals last time in a poorer looking team (albeit not on paper), I think he will do the same this season, I'm sure we are still looking for a striker though with better qualities.

Which is why nobody wanted him last summer. And why he managed 10 league goals for us minus penalties.

He's an average championship player who's past his best.

Nobody wanted him due to him barely getting played at shalke due to injuries & then being lumped in with our relegation side. Not really much chance to show any real ability for others to see.

14 in 16 games is impressive, doesnt matter if he had pens in there. He's good enough to score goals in the prem.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Brief caption competition:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5884/102660news.jpg

Reporter: Chris, Leon Best has just said on the BBC that he is setting himself a 30 goal target this season

13 league goals makes him good enough for the prem?

Wake the f*** up. Players like Peter Lovenkrands are the reason we'll struggle next season.

13 league goals in how many minutes upfront.

I dont put much trust into your assessment of players ability, thats just normal

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Wake the f*** up. Players like Peter Lovenkrands are the reason we'll struggle next season.

I wouldn't say he's gash- Yes, he's not prem material, but he's a decent enough player to have around. Championship level player, with some redeeming qualities.

Hes bottom 6 premiership class. I fail to see him getting into any team higher than that especially the way the play

And? I'm not exactly expecting much higher than 15th like.

13 league goals in how many minutes upfront.

I dont put much trust into your assessment of players ability, thats just normal

3 of those have nowt to do with his position on the pitch, given the fact that they were penalties.

As for the other 10, 8 of them came at home when we were absolutely dominating teams with Routledge and Jonas taking the piss. Do you really think this sounds like a player who'll be successful in the Premier League?

You have your head firmly in the sand. Of course, you were saying Lovenkrands was prem class back when Nile Ranger and Leon Best were getting a game ahead of him.

I like McLoven, but his name in the same sentence as 'Premiership' conjures up images of his miss at Goodison Park. Just can't shake it off. I said at the time "that miss might send us down."

3 of those have nowt to do with his position on the pitch, given the fact that they were penalties.

As for the other 10, 8 of them came at home when we were absolutely dominating teams with Routledge and Jonas taking the piss. Do you really think this sounds like a player who'll be successful in the Premier League?

You have your head firmly in the sand. Of course, you were saying Lovenkrands was prem class back when Nile Ranger and Leon Best were getting a game ahead of him.

Nothing to do with our style of play away from home in comparison to at home then. He was part of the reason we dominated many of those teams at home & he scored important goals outside of that anyway.

I was saying loven was prem class back when you were claiming Carroll couldnt head the ball well yeah. We'll just have to wait and see.

Lovenkrands will be useful to us next year if he's used sparingly. I think that much is obvious; he's neat and tidy but it's imperative that he's one of the squad-fillers next season.

If we struggle in the transfer market - he could end up starting 10-15 games or more, and it's a situation we'd really be best avoiding. The same goes for Ameobi there. However, we do have some reasonable providers from the midfield (with potentially some additions?), and i think we can still create chances in this division. He isn't as good a finisher as people have coined him over the last 18 months, but Lovenkrands will always convert 1 out of 2/3 chances. He's intelligent in the box and finds the right positions. Still quick, too. So whilst i would expect him to score a couple - should he get regular game-time - i'd really rather we got someone else.

With Carroll being the main man, the fourth striker in the pack really needs to be a new addition. It still remains the absolute priority imo.

Best and Ranger are absolute non-entities.

Lovenkrands is a good fella and deserves a lot of praise for his professionalism last season. But it's certainly clouding a few judgements. Next season we won't be playing the cavalier, attacking football that we employed in February - April. Which is really the only circumstance under which he can get goals.

We'll also be up against much better defenders, and the need for that extra physicality and ability to drop deep will increase tenfold.