The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An encouraging draw at Old Trafford could set us up for a splendid season.

But seriously... the home game against Blackpool will be huge. Don't pick up three points there - against a side we dissected at an absolute canter only months prior - there'll be alarm bells from the word go.

I think it would be daft to expect any points from Manu.

An encouraging draw at Old Trafford could set us up for a splendid season.

But seriously... the home game against Blackpool will be huge. Don't pick up three points there - against a side we dissected at an absolute canter only months prior - there'll be alarm bells from the word go.

I think it would be daft to expect any points from Manu.

Like last time. :sadnod:

Hughton is no tactical mastermind.

But he's got the team playing as a unit.  For each other.  Coming back from 2-0 against Eindhoven shows spirit.  The old Keegan/Kinnear squad would have flopped.

I think sheer grit and determination will pick us up more points over a season than a disharmonious squad of more talented players would, tbh.

But he's got the team playing as a unit.  For each other.  Coming back from 2-0 against Eindhoven shows spirit.  The old Keegan/Kinnear squad would have flopped.

I think sheer grit and determination will pick us up more points over a season than a disharmonious squad of more talented players would, tbh.

Our current team will struggle to get as high as 4th bottom.

Our current team will struggle to get as high as 4th bottom.

I disagree.

I disagree.

I think you're heading for a disappointment, we’ll offer very little of a threat up front and our central midfield will spend more time watching the ball than using it.

I share the players' confidence tbh. There's a fine line between confidence and complacency and i think our current bunch know it. Hughton will make sure they do.

There's a lot made of the graft/quality divide. I do agree you can have all the guts in the world... if you don't have the ability in this league you'll still get pissed on by the lionshare of teams. However, i do think we have just about the right amount of talent amongst the first team to compliment what's a brilliant camerarderie.

I can only see us going down is if Ashley and Co fuck about with the harmony or the squad has an injury crisis.

I'd take 17th right now tbh. We'll be a couple of points from safety - not sure which side of the line we'll be though.

I’m not confident that we’ll finish above any team who were in the Premiership last season.  I don't see us having a forward capable of scoring double figures and our central midfielders are so slow and one dimensional.

I share the players' confidence tbh. There's a fine line between confidence and complacency and i think our current bunch know it. Hughton will make sure they do.

There's a lot made of the graft/quality divide. I do agree you can have all the guts in the world... if you don't have the ability in this league you'll still get pissed on by the lionshare of teams. However, i do think we have just about the right amount of talent amongst the first team to compliment what's a brilliant camerarderie.

I can only see us going down is if Ashley and Co f*** about with the harmony or the squad has an injury crisis.

Where's our talent?

I know we have some but it’s not where it counts, the spine of our team is at best unproven once you get passed centre half and even that area of the team has a lot to prove. 

I'd take 17th right now tbh. We'll be a couple of points from safety - not sure which side of the line we'll be though.

I’m not confident that we’ll finish above any team who were in the Premiership last season.  I don't see us having a forward capable of scoring double figures and our central midfielders are so slow and one dimensional.

Agree with all of that sadly. :(

Just not sure how shit the likes of Wolves and Wigan will be this season. Are we better than Wigan or Wolves? Not sure myself.

It'll be tight.  :undecided:

I can only see us going down is if Ashley and Co f*** about with the harmony or the squad has an injury crisis.

Where's our talent?

I know we have some but its not where it counts, the spine of our team is at best unproven once you get passed centre half and even that area of the team has a lot to prove. 

Urgh. Cba, you're just being needlessly cynical. There's some good, reasonable PL-standard players in our squad.

We haven't finished spending yet either.

There will be some really horrible results but I think we will stay up. The dangerous "been there, done it all, look at my pay cheque" mentality is almost out the door, there is a decent spirit and that is worth quite a lot. It really isn't going to be comfortable or attractive but imho we will still be in the Premiership at the end of the season.

Urgh. Cba, you're just being needlessly cynical. There's some good, reasonable PL-standard players in our squad.

Who are the good/reasonable Premiership standard players in our squad?

Where's our talent?

I know we have some but it’s not where it counts, the spine of our team is at best unproven once you get passed centre half and even that area of the team has a lot to prove. 

;D

Got another million to spend have we? :lol:

I admire your confidence/optimism but Hughton can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit. We're a poor team by Premiership standards and it's going to be a long hard season for us all.

There will be some really horrible results but I think we will stay up. The dangerous "been there, done it all, look at my pay cheque" mentality is almost out the door, there is a decent spirit and that is worth quite a lot. It really isn't going to be comfortable or attractive but imho we will still be in the Premiership at the end of the season.

Agree with that first line in particular. Teams like Sunderland & Wigan stayed up fairly comfortably, but got some absolute tankings along the way. Just a matter of not going overboard when it does happen.

Spirit will only take you so far and will soon go when the results aren't coming.

As much as some of our midfield options are pretty rank, if we can sign a pacey forward and a midfielder like cleverley I will be cautiously optimistic.

2 good signings will make a massive difference but we haven't got them yet.

As much as some of our midfield options are pretty rank, if we can sign a pacey forward and a midfielder like cleverley I will be cautiously optimistic.

2 good signings will make a massive difference but we haven't got them yet.

A French left-winger and a Welsh striker?

Would you have said a year ago that Guthrie & Barton would be significantly worse than Bowyer & Ferguson? Didn't do Birmingham any harm.