The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're doing better against the better teams,and also playing away from home.We'll pick up at Bolton,and play better against Chelsea too.The reason is these sides won't stay in a defensive shell and attack us,so we don't have to be so creative.

2 points from 15 against teams at home you should on your day be looking to beat.

"That's football." :lol:

You do come out with some crackers, neesy.

We've also picked up 9 out of 15 points, out of our matches against last season's top 8 so far, with 4 of those 5 games being away as well. You can look at stats any way really, but the main statistic is that we have 18 points in 13 games, if we get 18 in our next 13 then we're going to stay up very comfortably.

Is the crux of it really.

I'm of the opinion your home form is very worrying at the moment, against 2 average teams, 1 poor team and 2 awful teams. I don't think you'll go down but it merits severe questioning. If you can keep getting impressive away wins, great, but I think they'll soon start drying up which puts the onus on your home form. Just depends which way you look at it.

It's about knowing your limitation really. The crux of the issue at home is we struggle to break sides down and that's down to a lack of creative options simple as that. Ben Arfa is a huge miss, we all knew we'd struggle without that little bit of class and it's showing. All sides's have to do is turn up, remain solid and they know if they can contain our left hand side we'll pose little in terms of a threat.

Then you've got to remember we are newly promoted, the squad was always going to have limitations. Most would of taken 18 points this after this period of time regardless of where they've come from. That's not to say home form is an issue but I honestly think while the likes of Everton, Spurs and City have far more quality than we do the fact they'll come out and attack will in turn mean we'll pose more of an attacking threat ourselves.

Hughton probably knows its an issue but there's little he can do about it at this minute in time. The squad looked decent coming into the season but injuries and suspensions will have an impact on any newly promoted squad. I'm not expecting much in the way of a budget this January but a right winger and a striker would go a long way to guranteing our survival.

My old man would be perfect for the likes of SSN.

"This home form is unacceptable. We've got a couple of lucky wins away from home this year but to me the home form shows Hughton a lot of the time doesn't have the foggiest how to change things."

Beyond the fact he's an idiot, is there any truth in the claim Hughton doesn't know how to deal with things when they're going wrong? Or is that there simply aren't the players available to change it?

Well there isn't a plan B if that's what he's getting at. The playing in the second half today was terrible. It was just hit and hope.

Bollocks. It wasn't great but no where near as bad as your making out.

There was a period of 15 minutes where the defence just lobbed the ball forward, we had noone near the ball and the Fulham defence cleared back to us. It was bad.

Like I said it wasn't great but your certianly making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Positives:

7th in the table and already on 18 points. Halfway to safety.

At times (Villa, Sunderland, Everton, Arsenal, West Ham and Man City) we've shown we can be a very good side

We've shown the ability to win matches away from home

These players really do care

We seem to have some stability, at last

Carroll, Tiote, Coloccini, Barton and Enrique

Negatives:

Theres no plan B. Teams that do their homework can see a very clear way to deny us victory.

A weak subs bench, with nobody that can change matches.

2 points from Blackpool, Stoke, Wigan, Blackburn and Fulham is quite simply unacceptable.

We've had a good fixture list so far and still haven't played any of the big teams at home yet.

....basically. If we can keep our heads above water until January, I trust Hughton can get in the 2 players we need.

He's saying I should be elated because of where we are, and I'm saying the reason I'm not is because it's so early in the season. if the home form continues, we'll struggle - I'm not saying 'we'll struggle because we didn't win in those five games' - I'm not using it as a marker for anything at all.

Because you we simply won't keep up our away form. And if we do, it's against all logic and reason and that makes all the more unlikely to happen. Of course we could continue the way we are, but I doubt it.

And I never said Hughton was under pressure, I was pointing towards the team/club being under pressure because of home form.

Not quite sure I follow the logic of that first paragraph - if the home form continues as it is, we'll struggle - but then you renounce using that as a marker for why you're not elated to be fifth in the table?

You have no more reason to think our away form will dissipate any more than our home form will improve. We still have "easy" away games at Blackpool, Wigan et al.

Team/club under pressure inevitably means Hughton under pressure tbh, just look what thread we're posting in.

Not quite sure I follow the logic of that first paragraph - if the home form continues as it is, we'll struggle - but then you renounce using that as a marker for why you're not elated to be fifth in the table?

You have no more reason to think our away form will dissipate any more than our home form will improve. We still have "easy" away games at Blackpool, Wigan et al.

Team/club under pressure inevitably means Hughton under pressure tbh, just look what thread we're posting in.

I was talking hypothetically, hence if. I wasn't saying 'we'll struggle because our home form could continue to be bad'.

I can, because like I said last week, I believe we're playing above ourselves away from home at the moment. I don't believe this team is that good and that's why we can only play like that away from home for so long. Whereas we're not going to suddenly be able to break teams down at home.

I was talking hypothetically, hence if. I wasn't saying 'we'll struggle because our home form could continue to be bad'.

I can, because like I said last week, I believe we're playing above ourselves away from home at the moment. I don't believe this team is that good and that's why we can only play like that away from home for so long. Whereas we're not going to suddenly be able to break teams down at home.

Fair enough. Out of interest, do you think we're playing at a level indicative of our "real" level at home right now?

Fair enough. Out of interest, do you think we're playing at a level indicative of our "real" level at home right now?

No. I think we're capable of 14th/13th and better than the likes of Blackpool, Wigan and Blackburn. Probably on par with Stoke and Fulham, but not worse than.

It's about knowing your limitation really. The crux of the issue at home is we struggle to break sides down and that's down to a lack of creative options simple as that. Ben Arfa is a huge miss, we all knew we'd struggle without that little bit of class and it's showing. All sides's have to do is turn up, remain solid and they know if they can contain our left hand side we'll pose little in terms of a threat.

Then you've got to remember we are newly promoted, the squad was always going to have limitations. Most would of taken 18 points this after this period of time regardless of where they've come from. That's not to say home form is an issue but I honestly think while the likes of Everton, Spurs and City have far more quality than we do the fact they'll come out and attack will in turn mean we'll pose more of an attacking threat ourselves.

Hughton probably knows its an issue but there's little he can do about it at this minute in time. The squad looked decent coming into the season but injuries and suspensions will have an impact on any newly promoted squad. I'm not expecting much in the way of a budget this January but a right winger and a striker would go a long way to guranteing our survival.

I like this a lot

The thing is our away from is entirely sustainable, it may not be quite as good but we'll still pick up points simply because of the way we play. Whenever a team has a go we look comfortable, we soak up the pressure and give some back. It's when teams put men behind the ball seem struggle, you won't find many sides doing that on their own patch.

He did everything right in the 2nd half, good subs for a change and thought we were unlucky not to win it.

Overall though our poor home form is of relegation standards, like Niel says our away form won't last forever, something has to change and sharpish, our current position is false people who judge what's going on right now with us on that position are crackers.

Good post.

The table is a false postion we've got much harder games left than we've already played.

We've played City, Man Utd, Arsenal & Everton all away so far. There's only really Chelsea, Spurs and possibly Liverpool where I'd fancy us to lose 100%, and even then, the way we got a result at Arsenal and were robbed at City, who knows?

The table is a false postion we've got much harder games left than we've already played.

We've played City, Man Utd, Arsenal & Everton all away so far. There's only really Chelsea, Spurs and possibly Liverpool where I'd fancy us to lose 100%, and even then, the way we got a result at Arsenal and were robbed at City, who knows?

Our away form has been good, But looking at the fixtures brings me no compfort till early Jan.  :undecided:

Must say I've agreed with most of what you've said in this thread. The glass seems to be have empty to most though.

Some NUFC will never ever be pleased unless were winning every game 5-0 ffs.

You really are f***ing clueless like.

Ahh, we don't you join the f***ing boo boys you clown.

You really see something wrong with people expecting more than 2 points from Stoke/Wigan/Blackburn/Fulham/Blackpool? You think that's too demanding?

As far as this season goes, as long as we get enough points to stay up, I'm not arsed where they come from.

I'm sure we had a similar season in 2000-1. Think we were unbeaten at home to the top six sides that year, but got crap results against crap teams. Still finished 11th like.

Guest guinness_fiend

Some NUFC will never ever be pleased unless were winning every game 5-0 ffs.

You really are f***ing clueless like.

Ahh, we don't you join the f***ing boo boys you clown.

You really see something wrong with people expecting more than 2 points from Stoke/Wigan/Blackburn/Fulham/Blackpool? You think that's too demanding?

As far as this season goes, as long as we get enough points to stay up, I'm not arsed where they come from.

This.