The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My worry is people turning on him if we don't do well next season, it will be very hard no matter what. We will lose quite a few games and if the money isn't there this summer we could spend the whole season battling relegation which doesn't automatically mean he isn't doing the best job he can/anyone could.

I still have slight concerns about his ability at the top level but next season is likely to be a real struggle no matter who is in charge and we need to remember that. I hope we stick with him for the whole season.

My worry is people turning on him if we don't do well next season, it will be very hard no matter what. We will lose quite a few games and if the money isn't there this summer we could spend the whole season battling relegation which doesn't automatically mean he isn't doing the best job he can/anyone could.

I still have slight concerns about his ability at the top level but next season is likely to be a real struggle no matter who is in charge and we need to remember that. I hope we stick with him for the whole season.

Like all managers he'll judged on his signings and his substitutions. If his judgement his sound then he'll pick up a few clever players who'll set us up as a better team next season and if things aren't going well on the pitch then we'll see if he reacts to pressure rather than judgement. If he can't do both of those then i would imagine he'll be sacked, just like any other manager.

Not sure if anyone has read this, but this an article from the Times, linking O'Neill to us.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/west_ham/article7102740.ece

For those who don't want to read the link:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be no surprise when Gianfranco Zola’s tenure at Upton Park comes to an end this summer but the burning question is what will happen to West Ham United?

The bottom line is David Sullivan likes Zola as a person but he is not his type of manager. Conversely, Sullivan is not the type of detached chairman that Zola likes to work under. David Gold, the joint-chairman, has been more supportive of the Italian.

While West Ham could dismiss Zola and expect him to fight for compensation, that would be embarrassing and foolish. More likely is that a settlement will be agreed and Zola will leave “by mutual consent”.

There were rumours that Sullivan was looking at other candidates even before he bought a 25 per cent stake in the club in January. He certainly had a good look when it became clear that he might need to make a change before the end of the campaign.

The club’s managerial options are limited and will be affected by which division the team are playing in. Sullivan likes Mark Hughes but the Welshman probably has an eye on Aston Villa, where Martin O’Neill has hinted that he may consider his future and Newcastle United.

Steve McClaren is among West Ham’s preferred candidates because he has the backing of one of Sullivan’s advisors. But should FC Twente win the title, McClaren would be managing in the Champions League, which would be a useful addition to his CV. Would he give that up for Upton Park? He is also rumoured to be wanted by Hamburg. Slaven Bilic, the Croatia coach and former West Ham player, had previously ruled himself out.

Many potential candidates will have been put off by the way that Sullivan has dealt with Zola. On top of that, Alex McLeish and Steve Bruce, who have both worked under Sullivan at Birmingham City, have hardly given him a ringing endorsement.

In addition, one of Sullivan’s gripes appears to be that Zola earns £1.8million, an increase from £1.2million he was paid when he took charge in September 2008. Steve Clarke, his assistant, is reported to be paid about £1.1million. Sullivan will want to pay less.

Sullivan’s tenure at Birmingham cannot reliably be used a guide because he tended to employ young, cheap managers trying to make their name at a club generally regarded as smaller than West Ham.

West Ham fans will fear that the upshot of their new ownership is that the disparity will close.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't say I'd heard any such rumours?  Bearing in mind how much O'Neill spends, I can't see him wanting to come here...

Isn't that article saying that Hughes has his eye on Villa AND Newcastle (Not that O'Neil is considering his future and a move to Newcastle).  Probably missing a comma.  More crappy journalism.  Need a lesson in Grammar :D

You could be right there - the absence of the comma does add a certain layer of ambiguity to it.

Hughton has certainly grown into the job and he certainly has the respect of his players.  Certainly the squad that started the preseason was in disarray coming off a disjointed season with an uncertain future.    Getting thumped by Leyton Orient could have doomed this team before it ever got going.  The team rallied, got off to a good start and even though injuries could have derailed a more fragile club, he kept them going in the right direction and did a good job going with the hot hand.  Ameobi, Nolan, Carroll and Lovenkrands all seemed to take turns being the goal scorer and Hughton did a nice job sticking with the guy until injury or a drop in form forced his hand.  I thought he did a good job working all the new faces into the squad and thought he took his biggest step forward when he backed off from Nicky Butt.  An unproven manager or one who lacked confidence might feel safer with Butt on the pitch and clearly Hughton felt this way early in the season.  As the season went on, Hughton made the move he had to make.  It's easy for us to sit here and say Butt is shit but what if we managed the team?  How difficult must it be to be the one to tell a storied veteran that he's past it and you have to go in a different direction?

I think he did a fine job and has earned the right to manage this club next year.  I don't think he'll ever be a tactical genius but I think he relates well with his players, has a good work ethic that rubs off on his players and he will continue to improve with time and gain confidence.  I give him a ton of credit for the way he has conducted himself.  How would you feel if you were handed the caretaker job after Keegan stormed off and then had to watch while a bunch of managers were discussed, eventually lost the caretaker job to Joe Fucking Kinnear only to get it back after he has a heart attack and club legend Alan Shearer can't negotiate terms after the club drops out of the Premiership?  I don't know about you but I would have said "Fuck this" after being kicked to the curb like he was.  Not only did he take the job and apply himself, he did it with class and an aplomb that is slowly fading away in the sporting world.  A good man he is and a better manager than any off us thought he would be, that's for sure.

Hughton has certainly grown into the job and he certainly has the respect of his players.  Certainly the squad that started the preseason was in disarray coming off a disjointed season with an uncertain future.    Getting thumped by Leyton Orient could have doomed this team before it ever got going.  The team rallied, got off to a good start and even though injuries could have derailed a more fragile club, he kept them going in the right direction and did a good job going with the hot hand.  Ameobi, Nolan, Carroll and Lovenkrands all seemed to take turns being the goal scorer and Hughton did a nice job sticking with the guy until injury or a drop in form forced his hand.  I thought he did a good job working all the new faces into the squad and thought he took his biggest step forward when he backed off from Nicky Butt.  An unproven manager or one who lacked confidence might feel safer with Butt on the pitch and clearly Hughton felt this way early in the season.  As the season went on, Hughton made the move he had to make.  It's easy for us to sit here and say Butt is shit but what if we managed the team?  How difficult must it be to be the one to tell a storied veteran that he's past it and you have to go in a different direction?

I think he did a fine job and has earned the right to manage this club next year.  I don't think he'll ever be a tactical genius but I think he relates well with his players, has a good work ethic that rubs off on his players and he will continue to improve with time and gain confidence.  I give him a ton of credit for the way he has conducted himself.  How would you feel if you were handed the caretaker job after Keegan stormed off and then had to watch while a bunch of managers were discussed, eventually lost the caretaker job to Joe Fucking Kinnear only to get it back after he has a heart attack and club legend Alan Shearer can't negotiate terms after the club drops out of the Premiership?  I don't know about you but I would have said "Fuck this" after being kicked to the curb like he was.  Not only did he take the job and apply himself, he did it with class and an aplomb that is slowly fading away in the sporting world.  A good man he is and a better manager than any off us thought he would be, that's for sure.

Good post... :thup: ...and honestly, not having a go at yerself because a fair few in this thread have been saying similar, but it would be grand if we could leave that kind of sweeping generalisation to the tabloids.

If the players give 100% next season then the fans will give him some leeway. Hopefully the sense of the need to fight for the right to play in the league will spur them on. The worst case scenario is that we lose our first 4 or 5 games. I just hope he gives a lot of thought to getting hit on the break by teams with accurate strikers and genuine pace.

If the players give 100% next season then the fans will give him some leeway. Hopefully the sense of the need to fight for the right to play in the league will spur them on. The worst case scenario is that we lose our first 4 or 5 games. I just hope he gives a lot of thought to getting hit on the break by teams with accurate strikers and genuine pace.

I would like to think so, but some players who do give 100% have had stick in the past. Nolan and Smith even at points of this season, not so much on the terrace, but certainly places like this. They ALWAYS give 100% but have limitations and people pick up on it and have a go at them, despite the effort they put in.

I would like to think so, but some players who do give 100% have had stick in the past. Nolan and Smith even at points of this season, not so much on the terrace, but certainly places like this. They ALWAYS give 100% but have limitations and people pick up on it and have a go at them, despite the effort they put in.

Smith being hardworking etc is one of the biggest myths surrounding our squad though.

Spends far to much time sitting far to deep, taking the easy option, trying to play the extra central defender role rather than putting the effort in breaking up play. If he can't do it at this level he doesn't stand a chance next year.

Our midfield as a whole shows far more effort without him.

Smith being hardworking etc is one of the biggest myths surrounding our squad though.

Spends far to much time sitting far to deep, taking the easy option, trying to play the extra central defender role rather than putting the effort in breaking up play.  If he can't do it at this level he doesn't stand a chance next year.

Our midfield as a whole shows far more effort without him.

I agree mostly. I think he's past it, and was never really very good in midfield anyway, however, he gives 100%. He's limited in his ability, but I would never give him stick for it.

The fixture list (early games) will be key. I still don't think CH will make it in the PL and if he doesn't  (it isn't a forgiving league) then he should be replaced as early as poss. My main worry is that the management will act late (as often in the past) and this will make it much harder for survival. Tbf to him, if he doesn't get much to spend etc I won;t only be blaming him, but MA and co as well. In closing I'd like to add he's done a good job in the CCC. But we know now that the CCC is light years away from the PL.

Unless we're in real danger of going down I don't think we should get rid of him during the season even if he's struggling. We've done it too many times and very rarely does it make much difference.

I guess the problem is judging what is 'real danger'. I certainly don't trust Ashley to be able to judge it very well considering last year's debacle.

I f***ing love Chris Hughton. That is all.

I do too regardless of many fickle fans think or not.....

You still don't get it do you? It's now about good blokes or who you like or who deserves what it just comes down to tactical ability, luck and general football nous and the ability to inspire average players to greater heights. I still think CH is a good coach, but I don't rate him as a PL manager up against the quality of management right through most of the PL.

Unless we're in real danger of going down I don't think we should get rid of him during the season even if he's struggling. We've done it too many times and very rarely does it make much difference.

I guess the problem is judging what is 'real danger'. I certainly don't trust Ashley to be able to judge it very well considering last year's debacle.

This is key. Hughton leaving won't make us any less likely to be relegated so what's the point of disrupting it?

It's a fine line I agree. But if say he is holding his own in the top 12-14 or so, then I woudn't change it either actually. If he does manager that on a small/tidy spend, then I will be converted...Who wouldn't?? (Parky lays ground for getout clause).

You still don't get it do you?

:lol:

That's ironic considering Ethi is a joke/WUM account. ;)

You still don't get it do you?

:lol:

That's ironic considering Ethi is a joke/WUM account. ;)

:laugh:

Independant:

Just about the only thing Chris Hughton has been unable to manage this season is to reunite Chas & Dave. Contractually obliged to immerse himself in the catchy work of the Cockney knees-up merchants at White Hart Lane in the early Eighties, the Newcastle manager, in one of his rare moments of candour this season, revealed with tongue only partially in cheek that he would like nothing more than to orchestrate a reunion after the pair split last year.

Otherwise Hughton, like his side, has enjoyed just about the perfect season. They will be presented with the Football League trophy in front of a 52,000 full house at St James' Park after Saturday's game with Ipswich, where an eighth consecutive victory will see them end the campaign unbeaten at home while reaching a century of points.

From Championship flat-track bullies, they will soon be cast as Premier League cannon fodder, the latest new arrivals looking to establish a foothold. Newcastle finished third after their previous promotion, but the top flight is a different beast to the one taken by storm by Kevin Keegan and Co 17 years ago. Survival, even for a club of their stature, has to be the aim. It is a realisable goal, but one which would arguably be made easier by a summer of significant change. There's a persuasive school of thought, and it seems perverse at a time when a club that has been the personification of turmoil in recent years finally seems to have found some stability, that they could benefit from further upheaval in the form of Hughton's departure.

That would give Mike Ashley – presuming the owner doesn't resurrect his so-far abortive efforts to sell now that the club's stock is finally on the rise – an opportunity to appoint a higher-profile new manager with ample time to prepare for the new season.

Mark Hughes fits that bill. Having experienced the goldfish bowl that is Manchester City, the unremitting media glare on St James' would not be much of a culture shock. Whether Hughton has the pulling power to attract the stature of player Newcastle now require is open to question.

He's been at home bringing in ones capable of helping to escape the Championship, but lacks standing on the European stage. It is an important factor, because after remuneration, potential new playing recruits tend to put the calibre of manager towards the top of their wish-list for future employers. Hughton has struggled in previous caretaker stints in the Premier League and perhaps it's better to leave now on his own terms, rather than be forced out with his reputation sullied should Newcastle endure an unwanted start next season.

That way, he leaves with his coaching career at its zenith, able to walk into the next Championship job that comes up, which is a scenario he would have jumped at less then 12 months ago. There are strong indications that should he not up sticks, and supporters are praying for a summer free of the turmoil that could ensue with another "will he, won't he sell" summer, the enigmatic Ashley, who has pumped in excess of £30m this season to bankroll promotion, will refuse to bite the bullet.

If he ignores the route of a higher-cost replacement and its long-term benefits, and tries to muddle through with Hughton on a budget which in Premier League terms is akin to footballing suicide, the task of ensuring survival becomes more tricky. Hughton has given up hope of a significant transfer kitty, with suggestions his summer budget could be under £15m. He said: "Talks are ongoing with the managing director and the owner, but we know they are different times these days."

Jimmy Bullard, Jamie O'Hara and Alan Hutton are all on the radar, purse-strings permitting, and Hughton added: "The days of big transfers – not only for Newcastle but for everybody – are a thing of the past. You have to look to improve, but you have to do it wisely." Insisting he has no qualms about going into next season with the nucleus of his Championship-winning squad, he added: "We know it's going to be tough, but we've generated good momentum and these lads deserve an opportunity."

There are players – Steve Harper, Danny Simpson, Steven Taylor, Jose Enrique, Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton and Andy Carroll – upon whom Hughton can rely to perform at the higher level. "Having shut the pundits up once this season, we need to do it again next," Nolan, their 18-goal captain, insisted. He added: "What Chris and Mike Ashley now decide to do is up to them, but we're confident as a team that we're good enough for the Premier League."

For every Nolan, there are several others who fall into a rather grey area. Top flight doubts remain with Wayne Routledge, Alan Smith, Ryan Taylor, Danny Guthrie, Peter Lovenkrands, Mike Williamson, Shola Ameobi, Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez.

Supporters will point to the outstanding campaign enjoyed by many of those players, but it's one thing leading the journeymen of Barnsley or Blackpool a merry dance, it's another replicating that at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge.

Only those with goldfish memories will fail to recall how inept many of these same players were when Newcastle were relegated in disarray less than a year ago. It could turn into a slog on the Tyne for Hughton in his efforts to prevent a repeat. Then he can turn his attention to that Chas & Dave reunion.

What the magpies need

* To retain the support of the fans. Newcastle averaged 43,000 this term, among the top five in the country.

* Mike Ashley must ensure there is no doubt over his ownership commitment.

* Continue their home form. It's been almost 12 months since they were last beaten at St James', and sustained form there will be a cornerstone of survival.

* Back the manager. Chris Hughton could have as little as £15m to spend – Ashley needs to back him with more then double that to ensure that they can compete at the highest level.

* A proven Premier League striker. Andy Carroll has potential but has not proven it in the top flight.

* Keep Joey Barton fit and out of trouble. If he stays injury-free the midfielder will be like a new signing.

--------------------