The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As a coach you should want to build competition, saying Raylor is second choice RB is hardly going to keep Simpson on his toes.

I think Simpson has probably already figured that one out. :lol:

Anyway, a new RB is an absolute necessity.

Never mind, completely missed the point.

And you really think a typical soundbite in the local rag from Hughton is going to encourage Simpson to get lazy?

Simpson knows he's first choice, he has been since he was loaned in August/September.

Junkhead is wrong, sadly.

What we don't want to do is go into the new season with the most important partnership on the pitch made up of two players who don't know each other. Has to be Colo with Saylor or Williamson. Preferably the former, having watched Mike a bit more closely in the last few games.

I agree with that tbh. Except I don't have much faith in Colo - Taylor as a partnership and it may be harsh on Williamson but he has looked very slow at times.

Yes, he's the footballing version of Kevin McBride. But he's solid as a squad player.

As a coach you should want to build competition, saying Raylor is second choice RB is hardly going to keep Simpson on his toes.

I think Simpson has probably already figured that one out. :lol:

Anyway, a new RB is an absolute necessity.

Never mind, completely missed the point.

And you really think a typical soundbite in the local rag from Hughton is going to encourage Simpson to get lazy?

Simpson knows he's first choice, he has been since he was loaned in August/September.

If it's just a typical soundbite in the paper then why did you get your knickers in a twist about Hughton because of it?

The implications are somewhat worrying from a fan's perspective and it's basically completely unnecessary rubbish.

Unnecessary rubbish is the fact that some journo asked him about it in the first place and then published it.. Who cares about Ryan Taylor ffs

Hughton is the type of guy that'll always come out with a positive comment on his players. I'm ok with that

But it makes no sense at all.

Even if we want rid we wont be slagging him off in the press.

The only reason for him to say anything like that is to appease those fans that need to know who isn't rated. That isn't something a manager should be doing, especially under the budget he will be working under.

Keegan and Bobby.

of course, my thinking is more "It could be a lot worse than that"..

And personally I remember that I didn't always agree with Sir Bobby's comments (which of course doesn't make them wrong) but he had a habit of saying strange things from time to time.

Keegan on the other hand always came across to me as a brilliant motivator and he always seems to say (and do) the right things.

Hughton simply the best says Jose Enrique

JOSE Enrique ranks Chris Hughton as the best manager he has played under at Newcastle - classing him as a cut above Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer and the man who brought him to Tyneside Sam Allardyce.

Allardyce paid £6.3m to sign Spanish defender Enrique from Villarreal in the summer of 2007, and the 24-year-old has outlasted Big Sam, Keegan, Shearer, Joe Kinnear and caretaker-boss Nigel Pearson at St James’s Park.

Enrique’s consistent form made him a key figure in Newcastle’s Championship title-winning campaign last season, as Hughton steered the Magpies back into the Premier League at the first attempt. Enrique rates low-profile coach-turned-manager Hughton as the best boss he has worked under, ahead of those big-names who came and went before, and insists the former Republic of Ireland will prove his worth in the top flight next season.

“He said: “Chris Hughton is the best manager I have worked under since I have been here. There have been some very famous names, but it is not always about that.

“As a player Alan Shearer was unbelievable here. Of course, he was only here for seven weeks or so and you cannot really decide how good someone is in that short period of time. I cannot say

anything against him. No-one really knows what kind of manager Alan Shearer is because he spent just seven weeks with us.

“Chris has had one season and has grown into the job. People who say he will not be as good a manager in the Premier League are being unfair. Why not?

“The club want him to stay, he is very keen to stay and the players want to work with Chris next season.

“Everyone was so happy when he was given the manager’s job on a permanent basis because it was so well deserved and he is the man to take charge of this club in the Premier League.”

After Shearer’s seven-game term as interim manager ended with relegation in 2009, Hughton began the new season in the Championship as the club’s caretaker-boss.

However, a successful start to the campaign saw him win the Championship Manager of the Month awards in August and September and led to him being given the job on a permanent basis at the end of October.

Enrique says the players have responded to Hughton’s management style.

He added: “The training with the players is very different with him and I like him because his training sessions are so good.

“I cannot believe how hard he works.

“He seems to spend 24 hours every day at the club.

“He is so dedicated to the job and gives his all.

“He is thinking about the games all the time, watches the videos and is so thorough in his preparations. The players respect him so much.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/05/24/hughton-simply-the-best-says-jose-enrique-61634-26506383/?

Hughton simply the best says Jose Enrique

JOSE Enrique ranks Chris Hughton as the best manager he has played under at Newcastle - classing him as a cut above Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer and the man who brought him to Tyneside Sam Allardyce.

Allardyce paid £6.3m to sign Spanish defender Enrique from Villarreal in the summer of 2007, and the 24-year-old has outlasted Big Sam, Keegan, Shearer, Joe Kinnear and caretaker-boss Nigel Pearson at St James’s Park.

Enrique’s consistent form made him a key figure in Newcastle’s Championship title-winning campaign last season, as Hughton steered the Magpies back into the Premier League at the first attempt. Enrique rates low-profile coach-turned-manager Hughton as the best boss he has worked under, ahead of those big-names who came and went before, and insists the former Republic of Ireland will prove his worth in the top flight next season.

“He said: “Chris Hughton is the best manager I have worked under since I have been here. There have been some very famous names, but it is not always about that.

“As a player Alan Shearer was unbelievable here. Of course, he was only here for seven weeks or so and you cannot really decide how good someone is in that short period of time. I cannot say

anything against him. No-one really knows what kind of manager Alan Shearer is because he spent just seven weeks with us.

“Chris has had one season and has grown into the job. People who say he will not be as good a manager in the Premier League are being unfair. Why not?

“The club want him to stay, he is very keen to stay and the players want to work with Chris next season.

“Everyone was so happy when he was given the manager’s job on a permanent basis because it was so well deserved and he is the man to take charge of this club in the Premier League.”

After Shearer’s seven-game term as interim manager ended with relegation in 2009, Hughton began the new season in the Championship as the club’s caretaker-boss.

However, a successful start to the campaign saw him win the Championship Manager of the Month awards in August and September and led to him being given the job on a permanent basis at the end of October.

Enrique says the players have responded to Hughton’s management style.

He added: “The training with the players is very different with him and I like him because his training sessions are so good.

“I cannot believe how hard he works.

“He seems to spend 24 hours every day at the club.

“He is so dedicated to the job and gives his all.

“He is thinking about the games all the time, watches the videos and is so thorough in his preparations. The players respect him so much.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/05/24/hughton-simply-the-best-says-jose-enrique-61634-26506383/?

Sign of a weak manager ;)

Houghton as reported on Teamtalk

"I have to make a lot of decisions around that, but the most important thing is not to make those decisions too quickly. I've got to make decisions, but every club wants to be able to be in that position."

What nonsense, wait until the good freebies and cheapos are snapped up by other clubs. If we had the money and are aiming for top players, then we can bide our time, but the pool of good players (by survival standards) on shoestring budget is quite limited.

Making a quick decision does not mean being foolhardy, it's not one or the other. One can be quick and yet make the right decision.

@Ronaldo So really it's just  you who doesn't think the players respect him.

No proof, just a gut feeling.

Please explain how any team can get 102 points under a manager they 'don't respect'

Respect is such an abstract concept in football nowadays. It's thrown around too much. I'd wager very few managers command complete respect from their players and those that do - your SAFs and your Wengers - have earned it.

I don't spend a lot of time at the training ground, I don't see what goes on between players and staff, so I can't say whether the players do 'respect' Hughton or not. I don't think his management style does him any favours in that respect though as he seems very hands off and hippy parentish. That can go either way depending on the characters we have in the squad but last year it seemed to work pretty well, the occasional punch up aside.