The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Go to bed, mate. You're usually a good poster, but tonight you're getting very confused and talking rubbish.

Your static understanding of the how the outcomes of football games are determined seems confused to me. I'd prefer to see Mancini's half-time team talk and ability to bring on the quality he has in his squad as being slightly more influential.

So according to you the reason we lost today was because between the period of them changing it round and bringing Johnson on and Johnson scoring, we didnt go 4-4-2?

:lol:

Aye, because that's what I said.

I agree the referee cost us the game, but you can't afford to shut up shop like we tried to do today - it's why we lost last week too.

Changing the play after you've gone behind is too late.

Again contradicting yourself, either it was the referee or its because we tried to shut up shop. You saying 'its why we lost last week too' implies the latter not the former.

Christ man, I didn't realise my every word would be scrutinised.

It's not contradicting - ultimately the referee cost us the game, but the reason we fell behind was because we were trying to sit back on a result and ultimately we threw it away (like last week). The former, I'm saying how we lost. The latter, I'm explaining why we were poor in the 2nd half.

We did better than Chelsea at creating chances against Citeh. All they managed was a defender's header from a corner (which they missed too).

The high defensive line looked really risky, but they were incompetent in turning it into clear chances without the ref's assistance. You could even say it was a successful gamble.

Guest Ridzuan

Hughton interview after the match, I think that's as close as he'll get to being angry.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16497_6425309,00.html

I could feel his anger watching it and thats understandable. Im surprised that Mancini didnt even dare to give his post match interview, instad sent for his right hand man to do it. Maybe he got something to hide.

Hughton got it pretty much spot on yesterday both on and off the pitch. The one questionable thing was starting with Shola. Nevertheless, had we have won like we would have if it wasn't for the referee, would any of us be complaining?

Hughton interview after the match, I think that's as close as he'll get to being angry.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16497_6425309,00.html

I could feel his anger watching it and thats understandable. Im surprised that Mancini didnt even dare to give his post match interview, instad sent for his right hand man to do it. Maybe he got something to hide.

http://www.creativescreenwriting.com/csdaily/csdart/images/2004-08-August/Star%20Wars%20-%20Return%20of%20the%20Jedi%20-%20You%20don%27t%20know%20the%20power%20(300w).jpg

"I can feel your anger!"

Take away the Villa game and we've scored 4 goals in 6 games. We rarely create chances, don't commit men forward from midfield, and sit back like old men at sunset and hoof it when we're satisfied with the result.

We also play Kevin f***ing Nolan, which is as cynical as it gets.

Thought we actually played ok on Sunday - but have to agree with you on certain points.  I find that we seem to have this air of negativity in our approach.  The first touch of a lot of our attacking players is back towards our goal and they rarely switch the play with any kind of pace (usually a ponderous 4 pass move to get the ball from one side to the other).  It is almost like they've been told to play a safety first kind of football.

We were undone by a great individual goal and an awful referee. Most neutrals agree we deserved something from the game and were unlucky.

I think Hughton got his tactics spot on yesterday and this in spite of losing a key player 4 minutes into the game and going behind soon after to a bullsh*t penalty.

Credit where it's due for Hughton, it was a good performance which nullified City's threats for long periods and created chances of our own. A cruel defeat in a very difficult fixture.

We just haven't got the quality of forwards to create and score enough chances, that is the long and short of it. In the PL when you have spells of the ball or pitch domination you have to score.

I pray to God that either Gosling or Guthrie take Nolan's place in the team, when fit. This is getting beyond a fucking joke.

I started the season quite optimistic and that was further fuelled by our performances in the first 3 games but I genuinely believe we are a realistic candidate for relegation if we don't get Nolan out of the first 11. Ideally we'd play with 2 strikers up front but if it has to be 4-5-1 then stick any fucker but Nolan in the more advanced role. He offered absolutely nothing on Sunday.

You can't afford to carry a sub-standard player in any game in the Premier League, let alone every game.

I hope that Hughton is only playing Nolan there until more options become available but i'm not holding my breath

We just haven't got the quality of forwards to create and score enough chances, that is the long and short of it. In the PL when you have spells of the ball or pitch domination you have to score.

This is our biggest concern because Ben Arfa was clearly signed instead of a new forward (due to his quality, availability and versatility I expect) and he is now out for most of the season. Hughton couldn't really legislate for that, it's just a major blow.

In January I think Ashley will have to get the cheque book out for a striker because we need one anyway and even moreso now with Ben Arfa's injury. Move on the dead wood like Xisco and Best and use those wages to bring someone in.

This is our biggest concern because Ben Arfa was clearly signed instead of a new forward (due to his quality, availability and versatility I expect) and he is now out for most of the season. Hughton couldn't really legislate for that, it's just a major blow.

In January I think Ashley will have to get the cheque book out for a striker because we need one anyway and even moreso now with Ben Arfa's injury. Move on the dead wood like Xisco and Best and use those wages to bring someone in.

I really hope they have learnt from last year and see the danger that is looming.

This - it will be our undoing.

Anyway, 'rarely create chances' is just idiotic.

How many saves from direct shots can you remember opposition keepers making in the past 3 PL games ?

4 on target v City (1 less than city)

7 on target v Stoke (more than stoke)

4 on target v Everton (more than Everton)