The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

I am surprised that so many people think that Hughton thinks that Smith and Butt are premiership quality. Butt only plays in the Championship when necessary now, Hughton has dropped Smith a couple of times too. Give the bloke a chance.

I am surprised that so many people think that Hughton thinks that Smith and Butt are premiership quality. Butt only plays in the Championship when necessary now, Hughton has dropped Smith a couple of times too. Give the bloke a chance.

This the fact that he's played Guthrie in the middle when Routledge is fit should make it obvious.

Exactly. I can see him letting Butt go in the summer (fingers crossed), however i think he will stick with Smith next season, even if it's merely in a rotation basis.

On the other hand, a decent bid for Smith would certainly tempt him and Mr Ashley, due to his sizable wages.

I'm certain Hughton will sign some new midfielders in the summer, although it will be younger players like O'Hara, Johnson etc that he will target.

Exactly. I can see him letting Butt go in the summer (fingers crossed), however i think he will stick with Smith next season, even if it's merely in a rotation basis.

On the other hand, a decent bid for Smith would certainly tempt him and Mr Ashley, due to his sizable wages.

I'm certain Hughton will sign some new midfielders in the summer, although it will be younger players like O'Hara, Johnson etc that he will target.

O'Hara and Johnson would be excellent signings. I wouldn't mind rotating Smith in the PL as he is battler and we undoubtedly have alot of battling games next year should we go up.

i am still not happy, terrible performance,  watford without their best player dominated us

we won ffs.

agreed, but one big question i always use, is did we beat the other team, or did the other team lose it. Too many times this season, the only thing stopping us from losing is a lack of quality in the final third from the opposition. I f we do get promoted, those teams have that quality, and i feel in the prem this season we would have very very few points. We are being outclassed in footballing terms week in, week out away from home. All we seem to do is play long ball and i rarely remember seeing us pick up the knock downs from those.

Aye, but if we were in the Prem, who's to say Hughton would be in charge? You can't argue 'if' we were in the Prem, as all the players that went wouldn't have all gone, we might have spent in the summer under Shearer or another manager, etc etc.

I'm starting to warm to Hughton. I don't think people appreciate his position. He's new to the management game, and he's under massive, massive pressure to get promotion this season. He's found a winning formula and is sticking to it. And he's certainly not likely to start tweaking now. Let's get promotion, I don't give a fuck how, tbh.

I'm starting to warm to Hughton. I don't think people appreciate his position. He's new to the management game, and he's under massive, massive pressure to get promotion this season. He's found a winning formula and is sticking to it. And he's certainly not likely to start tweaking now. Let's get promotion, I don't give a f*** how, tbh.

You'll give a f*** how next season.

I'm starting to warm to Hughton. I don't think people appreciate his position. He's new to the management game, and he's under massive, massive pressure to get promotion this season. He's found a winning formula and is sticking to it. And he's certainly not likely to start tweaking now. Let's get promotion, I don't give a f*** how, tbh.

Next season is next season. Let's get there first.

I don't think Hughton is good enough for the Premier League btw.

Not really, tbh. If we're still winning games, I'll be happy. You want us to be playing like Arsenal next season?

Next season is next season you're right, and I'll put money on it that we'll regret not doing more this season to try and built a squad capable of playing in the Premiership.

Next season is next season you're right, and I'll put money on it that we'll regret not doing more this season to try and built a squad capable of playing in the Premiership.

Ah, I see. Possibly, but who knows what funds were made available? We certainly have to improve the squad.

There is no point spunking money for the sake of it yet - I am doubtful we would even if we could.  We are still loosing loads of money each month so that says it all.

IMO getting up is our first and only priority.  Once up, think about it then.

Not really, tbh. If we're still winning games, I'll be happy. You want us to be playing like Arsenal next season?

That's one massive "if."  Of course I want us to play like Arsenal next season and I'm sure most others would feel the same, I have no expectations of that happening though.  I would guess that would be the same answer 99 times if you asked a hundred Newcastle fans, I doubt anybody wants us to play shit.  It seems like a daft question really.  :lol:

I think a large amount of this debate depends on the business we do in the summer. These signings of Williamson, Routledge and Simpson will look good if they end up making, say, 8-12 starts each. If, however, they end up making considerably more than that, as haven't brought in enough PL standard players over the summer, then the whole thing is a disaster and Mick and LLLO's prophecy will be fulfilled.

Can't believe some of the twisting on here.  We are 8 points clear of third with a game in hand and only 12 games left for Forest.  It is difficult to see what else clipboard Chris could do.  I have my doubts too over whether he could help us survive in the elite, I also wonder which players we'll buy etc. However, we can't realistically deal in such intangiables.  It looks like we're going up and I, for one, am determined to enjoy it.

Guest Geordiekev

i am still not happy, terrible performance,  watford without their best player dominated us

we won ffs.

agreed, but one big question i always use, is did we beat the other team, or did the other team lose it. Too many times this season, the only thing stopping us from losing is a lack of quality in the final third from the opposition. I f we do get promoted, those teams have that quality, and i feel in the prem this season we would have very very few points. We are being outclassed in footballing terms week in, week out away from home. All we seem to do is play long ball and i rarely remember seeing us pick up the knock downs from those.

Don't get ahead of yourself though, remember this season we are in the Championship (at the top I might add) so we are doing enough so far so lets not start talking about next season until the maths add up and we know for sure, more than sure that Hughton and his team are aware that the team will need beefing up should we get to the prem in the summer.

I fully understand how frustrating it is to watch our team at times and I am always shitting myself until the final whistle, but regardless what we would like to see the point differnace in the league says enough.

Ah, I see. Possibly, but who knows what funds were made available? We certainly have to improve the squad.

It's not just about money, other things have to be considered.  We already need at least 4 first team players to come in without doing anything to bulk out the squad.  What happens when Enrique gets injured next season and we have to bring in a kid who has 5 games less experience because we gave those 5 games to a kid from Chelsea who is no better in defence?  Can Leon Best do a job for us next season or should we have kept the money until we were in a better position in the summer to bring in the two forwards we will need to start games next season?  Why buy Best who should struggle to play for the reserves next season as we have better players in Lovenkrands, Shola, Carroll and a year older Ranger who shouldn't start a game if we're to have a team capable of staying up?