The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

It surprises me that we dont go at teams from the off tbh. For one, not doing so more or less invites goals against us, we end up going at teams away and scoring towards the end anyway, and when we go at teams at home early on, we trounce them. All the signs are there that we should be bumming teams away right from the start. Maybe give it 10 minutes if Hughton's genuinely concerned about the opposition, but that's what team's at the top do, attack, and dominate away from home. I just think we're not doing ourselves justice for long periods in our away games.

The entire team needs to move up the pitch and condense the play. Plymouth Argyle scored 3 past that lot through the week, we should have gone at them from the start.

They did play three central defenders today which might have changed things slightly from that game.

The entire team needs to move up the pitch and condense the play. Plymouth Argyle scored 3 past that lot through the week, we should have gone at them from the start.

They did play three central defenders today which might have changed things slightly from that game.

And what on earth does that have to do with us not going at them from the start?

And what on earth does that have to do with us not going at them from the start?

The game lasts 90 mins and if you think Guthrie and Nolan can run non stop for that amount of time you are watching a different game to me.

What the hell has setting further up the pitch got to do with running? We're fine at home with exactly the same players. You don't even know what point you're arguing.

When you set further up the pitch you are leaving yourself open to a counter attack. So you need players who can run back to defend if you lose possession. Does that make sense?

Guest malandro

What the hell has setting further up the pitch got to do with running? We're fine at home with exactly the same players. You don't even know what point you're arguing.

When you set further up the pitch you are leaving yourself open to a counter attack. So you need players who can run back to defend if you lose possession. Does that make sense?

It also gives your midfield less pace to operate in and makes it easier for the opposition to press. As a rule of thumb it’s the team with less skill that wants to compress play, that’s why so many visiting teams play five 451 when they go to Old Trafford.

No, the same players manage it at home. There's no reason we can't defend from the front on our travels.

It also gives your midfield less pace to operate in and makes it easier for the opposition to press. As a rule of thumb its the team with less skill that wants to compress play, thats why so many visiting teams play five 451 when they go to Old Trafford.

I'm not talking about chasing down every man, i'm talking about setting up higher instead camping deep and inviting pressure whilst completely isolating the attacking players to the extent to which they just repeatedly lose the ball.

Guest guinness_fiend

We got a point yesterday against a team that have lost twice at home all season.  West Brom lost there not so long ago, didn't they?  2-2 is nothing to be embarrassed about.

This Leon Best situation makes me think that he is part of the SBR school in that he keeps players on when they are having a 'mare and won't sub them until they work it out. It is a style that I don't agree with but since CH reputedly has a soft touch it makes sense.

It surprises me that we dont go at teams from the off tbh. For one, not doing so more or less invites goals against us, we end up going at teams away and scoring towards the end anyway, and when we go at teams at home early on, we trounce them. All the signs are there that we should be bumming teams away right from the start. Maybe give it 10 minutes if Hughton's genuinely concerned about the opposition, but that's what team's at the top do, attack, and dominate away from home. I just think we're not doing ourselves justice for long periods in our away games.

Yup.

Christ, we should go behind more often - it's like he's now a tactical genius :lol:

Don't forget before we scored, we went two goals behind.

The main tactic seems to be to give the teams a head start.  :laugh2: :razz:

Seems we're instructed to pass it out from the back more recently, a massive improvement on lumping it up front. Credit to Hughton for that.

Was going to post something similar.

"A lot of us" seem to have fallen through the football management net. If a few of these chairman took a bit more time scouting internet forums for prospective managers they would save themselves a lot of compensation payouts ;)