The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here's an article in the Guardian about Hughton... don't worry its not by Louise Taylor:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/03/newcastle-chris-hughton-promotion

It has actual quotes instead of the usual supposition and gives credit where credit is due.

The money quote:

It is Hughton who has overseen it all. "He doesn't give much away, but when he wants something he gets it," said Nolan. "Make no mistake he manages, we just play. He is a great manager, he is a great fella."

Also says the senior vangard of players that have taken efforts to right the dressing room are Nolan, Harper and Smith... no mention of Butt who has no leadership qualities IMO.

Excellent article and only enforces much of what we already suspected. The quiet man attitude of the manager and the determination of togetherness of the players has put the club in a new light. Hopefully, long may this continue.

MALANDRO...............Maybe this article might allay many of your fears for the future.

If anything it reinforces them but I wouldnt expect you to understand.

You must be joking, pal. So, you cannot see from that report who is in control? You think that players showing admiration for a manager is actually a form of player power?

Fuck me, you are right, I dont understand your train of thoughts on this.

Guest malandro

I never said YOU did but the fact you need to defend yourself against every comment like that says a lot.

I haven't seen you post anything that suggests you really think he has done a good job. Just backhanded compliments and listing every other reason why we could be top despite the manager.

Yawn.

Guest loven Mag 11

In all fairness, hughton has done a brilliant job in my opinion. he has kept quiet and got the f*** on with it !

if Shearer had been manager this season then none of this would have happened.

and if he did happen, and we were top at the same point and nearly promoted before easter then,  he could have rowed a boat to St james' park through all the jizz pouring out of his "shearer was the only one to save us" club.

honestly if shearer had acheived what hugton had, do you think he would have kept hush and gave the players all the praise ?

he would of sung from L7 how he was infact sent by god to achieve the unachievable !

Are you leazes/ne5/Stevie? You seem to have the same "don't want to answer that so will claim they don't understand / reply with something like "yawn" approach one of those will typically pull out of the bag.

Guest malandro

Here's an article in the Guardian about Hughton... don't worry its not by Louise Taylor:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/03/newcastle-chris-hughton-promotion

It has actual quotes instead of the usual supposition and gives credit where credit is due.

The money quote:

It is Hughton who has overseen it all. "He doesn't give much away, but when he wants something he gets it," said Nolan. "Make no mistake he manages, we just play. He is a great manager, he is a great fella."

Also says the senior vangard of players that have taken efforts to right the dressing room are Nolan, Harper and Smith... no mention of Butt who has no leadership qualities IMO.

Excellent article and only enforces much of what we already suspected. The quiet man attitude of the manager and the determination of togetherness of the players has put the club in a new light. Hopefully, long may this continue.

MALANDRO...............Maybe this article might allay many of your fears for the future.

If anything it reinforces them but I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

You must be joking, pal. So, you cannot see from that report who is in control? You think that players showing admiration for a manager is actually a form of player power?

f*** me, you are right, I dont understand your train of thoughts on this.

What I read is a self obsessed view of why we’ve been promoted. A view that fails to acknowledge the relative inferiority of the opposition faced, the relatively small budgets they have operate under. To completely ignore these factors not only implies a lack of awareness but also a culture of complacency. I fear that underneath the sound bites they have started to believe their own hype. I hope I’m wrong because if they have next season is going to be as tough as this one has been easy.

The money quote:

If anything it reinforces them but I wouldnt expect you to understand.

What I read is a self obsessed view of why weve been promoted. A view that fails to acknowledge the relative inferiority of the opposition faced, the relatively small budgets they have operate under. To completely ignore these factors not only implies a lack of awareness but also a culture of complacency. I fear that underneath the sound bites they have started to believe their own hype. I hope Im wrong because if they have next season is going to be as tough as this one has been easy.

Let me just enlighten you further on this point of so called self obsession.

First of all, it has been a more physically tougher division to play in for these players, something which few have experienced before. Budgets go out of the window when you are entering the unknown.

If you had an extensive knowledge of football, you would understand that confidence, rather than budgets, is the main route to success on the football field.

I doubt that the likes of Jonas, Colo, Enrique etc would particularly enjoy playing at Scunthorpe on a cold wet freezing tuesday night against opposition with limited or lesser ability than them. But they did and they lost, part of the learning curve of football life.

Furthermore, most of the clubs look upon playing NUFC as their own particular cup final therefore raise their games, particualrly in front of their own fans. We have only lost 4 (FOUR) games this season which is proof alone of the determination, effort, ability and spirit that has been instilled into our players.

You are also happily, it seems, to disregard the absolute mayhem and despondency our club was in right at the start of the season and still you fail to give credit where it is deserved.

Unless you are the Lord God almighty, you have no idea what will happen next season. Go back to the Keegan days in 1992, I doubt anyone would have expected us to finish 3rd in our first season back in the big time. Whilst I know it is different now, most people on here would be pleasantly surprised if we finished around 10th next season and continue to build on that. That would be one hell of an achievement.

By the way, I read no evidence in that article of players or management being complacent or believing their own hype at all. In fact, more so than ever, my interpretation of it all was the re-building of confidence of a club that , not 12 months ago, was teetering on the edge of the abyss. I doubt any one of the players at our club believe next season will be easy. I doubt the management team vbelieve it either and I fully expect all concerned to understand that a gradual improvement is necessary and that, after relegation last year, Newcastle United does not have the divine right to premiership status.

Your problem is a mixture of negativity and being unrealistic. You appear to have little confidence in either the players or the manager next season. The reality is that both sets of employees will be staying and as has been stated time and time again by them, they want to work hard to right the wrongs. At least give them all the benefit of the doubt until they either achieve their aims or fail in their plans. I, for one, think the club will rise from the ashes of the fire sales of last summer and be a lot stronger in the premiership without those big noters and cowards who were largely responsible for taking us down.

Guest malandro

The money quote:

If anything it reinforces them but I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

What I read is a self obsessed view of why we’ve been promoted. A view that fails to acknowledge the relative inferiority of the opposition faced, the relatively small budgets they have operate under. To completely ignore these factors not only implies a lack of awareness but also a culture of complacency. I fear that underneath the sound bites they have started to believe their own hype. I hope I’m wrong because if they have next season is going to be as tough as this one has been easy.

Let me just enlighten you further on this point of so called self obsession.

First of all, it has been a more physically tougher division to play in for these players, something which few have experienced before. Budgets go out of the window when you are entering the unknown.

If you had an extensive knowledge of football, you would understand that confidence, rather than budgets, is the main route to success on the football field.

I doubt that the likes of Jonas, Colo, Enrique etc would particularly enjoy playing at Scunthorpe on a cold wet freezing tuesday night against opposition with limited or lesser ability than them. But they did and they lost, part of the learning curve of football life.

Furthermore, most of the clubs look upon playing NUFC as their own particular cup final therefore raise their games, particualrly in front of their own fans. We have only lost 4 (FOUR) games this season which is proof alone of the determination, effort, ability and spirit that has been instilled into our players.

You are also happily, it seems, to disregard the absolute mayhem and despondency our club was in right at the start of the season and still you fail to give credit where it is deserved.

Unless you are the Lord God almighty, you have no idea what will happen next season. Go back to the Keegan days in 1992, I doubt anyone would have expected us to finish 3rd in our first season back in the big time. Whilst I know it is different now, most people on here would be pleasantly surprised if we finished around 10th next season and continue to build on that. That would be one hell of an achievement.

By the way, I read no evidence in that article of players or management being complacent or believing their own hype at all. In fact, more so than ever, my interpretation of it all was the re-building of confidence of a club that , not 12 months ago, was teetering on the edge of the abyss. I doubt any one of the players at our club believe next season will be easy. I doubt the management team vbelieve it either and I fully expect all concerned to understand that a gradual improvement is necessary and that, after relegation last year, Newcastle United does not have the divine right to premiership status.

Your problem is a mixture of negativity and being unrealistic. You appear to have little confidence in either the players or the manager next season. The reality is that both sets of employees will be staying and as has been stated time and time again by them, they want to work hard to right the wrongs. At least give them all the benefit of the doubt until they either achieve their aims or fail in their plans. I, for one, think the club will rise from the ashes of the fire sales of last summer and be a lot stronger in the premiership without those big noters and cowards who were largely responsible for taking us down.

Get you.

Guest malandro

Malandro

Yawn all you like, mate, but Cajun is spot on

No he’s not. The view he expressed is based on his own ignorance not what I actually said, and I said above I’m not restating my starting position again. I signed up to this board to discuss NUFC not to engage in infantile ‘you said I said’ debates and play silly word games.

I have no doubt the current views on Hughton will be very different next season. Even if he does a good job we are going to lose a lot of games and these pages will be full of complaints about the players he’s picking and tactics he’s adopting. There’s been plenty of them this season and it’s only now that promotion is in the bag that the love in has started. It’s easy to be wise after the event, to sit on the fence and back the winning horse after it’s crossed the line. It’s also about as interesting as Ryan’s Taylor sphincter, which is why the fence sitters have to resort to glib on liners, petty insults and demands for written proof in triplicate.

So with this in mind I’m going to bid NO fair well until next season, when we’ll be able to see who was right, who was wrong and who is just plain fickle.

No hes not. The view he expressed is based on his own ignorance not what I actually said, and I said above Im not restating my starting position again. I signed up to this board to discuss NUFC not to engage in infantile you said I said debates and play silly word games.

I have no doubt the current views on Hughton will be very different next season. Even if he does a good job we are going to lose a lot of games and these pages will be full of complaints about the players hes picking and tactics hes adopting. Theres been plenty of them this season and its only now that promotion is in the bag that the love in has started. Its easy to be wise after the event, to sit on the fence and back the winning horse after its crossed the line. Its also about as interesting as Ryans Taylor sphincter, which is why the fence sitters have to resort to glib on liners, petty insults and demands for written proof in triplicate.

So with this in mind Im going to bid NO fair well until next season, when well be able to see who was right, who was wrong and who is just plain fickle.

You give up far too easily, no stamina.

In all fairness, hughton has done a brilliant job in my opinion. he has kept quiet and got the f*** on with it !

if Shearer had been manager this season then none of this would have happened.

and if he did happen, and we were top at the same point and nearly promoted before easter then,  he could have rowed a boat to St james' park through all the jizz pouring out of his "shearer was the only one to save us" club.

honestly if shearer had acheived what hugton had, do you think he would have kept hush and gave the players all the praise ?

he would of sung from L7 how he was infact sent by god to achieve the unachievable !

i have no doubt he'd be pleased with himself but he would have given the players praise no doubt

the rest of the point stands however, it would have been hard to argue against shearer without being labelled a mackem in disguise and expectations would be sky high.

however i for one think this shearer comparison needs to end now, compare hughton to his fellow managers, compare him to previous managers we've had but do not compare him to a tv pundit who managed for 8 games its not fair on hughton or shearer

Malandro

Yawn all you like, mate, but Cajun is spot on

No hes not. The view he expressed is based on his own ignorance not what I actually said, and I said above Im not restating my starting position again. I signed up to this board to discuss NUFC not to engage in infantile you said I said debates and play silly word games.

I have no doubt the current views on Hughton will be very different next season. Even if he does a good job we are going to lose a lot of games and these pages will be full of complaints about the players hes picking and tactics hes adopting. Theres been plenty of them this season and its only now that promotion is in the bag that the love in has started. Its easy to be wise after the event, to sit on the fence and back the winning horse after its crossed the line. Its also about as interesting as Ryans Taylor sphincter, which is why the fence sitters have to resort to glib on liners, petty insults and demands for written proof in triplicate.

So with this in mind Im going to bid NO fair well until next season, when well be able to see who was right, who was wrong and who is just plain fickle.

This forum is based mon opinions and you have every right to voice yours, just as I have for mine. To suggest infantile comments is just being silly. Some of the vew points you have come up with are based on your own negativity without a shred of evidence to support it.

People on here might well have complained early on about Hughton but there was just as many people who were prepared to defend him too. He admitted that sometimes, he had to win ugly. You didnt hear the Arsenal fans complaining when George Graham won the title with a game plan based on stopping goals rather than scoring goals by the shedful.

Newcastle fans are notoriously difficult fans to please. If they are not playing quick, fast flowing attacking football and winning 4-0, many of them are not happy. However, rather than look at the average tunnell visioned supporter who loves the Keegan way, try looking from a peripheral vision way instead. You dont win trophies by losing 4-3 at Anfield but you can win trophies by winning 1-0 at Cardiff, Sheffield United and PNE.

What I am saying is that Hughton set his stall out to win or draw ugly away from home but turn it on for full points at home. He has on;y failed to achieve this at home, 4 times out of 20 and in some of those games, bad luck and bad referreeing stopped us from getting all the points.

You need to learn the difference between "I will give him credit for this season" and "he has done the bare minimum, we are top because of [every reason I can think of bar hughton doing a good job]".

For the last time. I’m not questioning that he’s done a good job, because he has. I’m questioning how good a job he’s done as this will have a major bearing on the fortunes of NUFC next season.

So you're not questioning that he's done a good job, but you're questioning how good a job he's done? :lol:

You need to learn the difference between "I will give him credit for this season" and "he has done the bare minimum, we are top because of [every reason I can think of bar hughton doing a good job]".

For the last time. I’m not questioning that he’s done a good job, because he has. I’m questioning how good a job he’s done as this will have a major bearing on the fortunes of NUFC next season.

So you're not questioning that he's done a good job, but you're questioning how good a job he's done? :lol:

:idiot2:

Are you leazes/ne5/Stevie? You seem to have the same "don't want to answer that so will claim they don't understand / reply with something like "yawn" approach one of those will typically pull out of the bag.

Of course he is, I figured that out some time ago. The absolute arrogance to expect constant success as a god given right is a dead give away. Hughton is an Ashley appointment (not FF) so any success probably has malE5 tearing his hair out.

Malandro's long post above says that the players motivated themselves in pre season and Hughton just went with the flow, since it was also clearly the best squad then not a great deal of credit goes to hughton.

My problem with that is that if you look at the teams performances in early season, they were a lot poorer than recently. Also the sides put out that lost at scunthorpe, forest and Blackpool were only one or two players from the current first team.

The overall improvement of the team, the specific improvement in individual performances and the quality of the additions to the squad have got, IMO, f*** all to do with a players committee meeting held in pre-season. To attribute any of the parameters of improved performance over the season to that meeting is churlish bollocks.

Personally I think you’ve lost sight of the importance playing vastly inferior opposition every other week has had on our ‘progress’ this season. How playing weaker teams and winning games breeds confidence. How coming to a stadium like SJP intimidates teams in this division. Football is a game of margins not absolutes.

Hughton’s done a decent job, but we’ll have to wait until next season to find out who is talking churlish bollocks.

No we wont, we just have to establish how much the team improved over this season. Once we've established that it will be very clear to see what was the biggest influence on that; the players committee meeting or Hughton.

We'll do shite next year no matter who is in charge without significant investment, our performance next year should have little bearing on understanding what happened this season.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's now our most successful manager in terms of percentage wins................... 57.78% cp KK 54.98% & 28.57%

we will see next season

The whole thing still has me scratching my head a bit, because he didn't have the authority of a contract for the first half of the season, and there was the background instability of the owner trying to sell. Perhaps because he's not particularly egotistical, all that didn't throw him.

I like that quote from Nolan in the Guardian - 'He doesn't give much away, but when he wants something he gets it.' He's making that rather quiet manner work for him.

The reason why i think Hughton will do a passable job in the Premiership, is cos i've got faith in him to deliver in the transfer market. Aside from probably the Allardyce summer; every single season we've looked at a transfer window and gone "for fuck's sake, why didn't we sign a LB? [for eg]". This January window, whilst we didn't break the bank or anything, for once - we actually found recruitments in the correct positions, and to a perfect standard (in the current context). I mean, ask a lot of here prior to January - they'd have said we needed a right-winger. But since we already had a couple, i don't think anyone at all expected us to get one. I didn't think we'd sign three defenders either, but we did.

That transfer window hasn't only defined the course of our season, but i think it's injected a great deal of hope into the supporters where Hughton's concerned. He's blatantly got an eye for a bargain and for once, he isn't stubborn or arrogant enough to stick to his guns - when it's blatantly obvious something different needs to happen. Be that in the transfer market or from a tactical perspective. Roeder, Allardyce (and possibly even Keegan) would still be playing Leon Best atm.

The money quote:

I think it maybe IS Louise Taylor, writing as "Lance Harvey", who hasn't had his name to any other story, ever.

I like the first bit of the first sentence, though:

Considering the long list of managers who have failed to maintain their composure at Newcastle United...

They do all seem to lose their blob, don't they?

Guest malandro

The whole thing still has me scratching my head a bit, because he didn't have the authority of a contract for the first half of the season, and there was the background instability of the owner trying to sell. Perhaps because he's not particularly egotistical, all that didn't throw him.

I like that quote from Nolan in the Guardian - 'He doesn't give much away, but when he wants something he gets it.' He's making that rather quiet manner work for him.

That Nolan felt the need to say this tells its own story. The question of Hughton’s authority only needs to be clarified because of the big deal Nolan is making about the role of the players committee. I can’t imagine Rio Ferdinand coming out and clarifying that when SFA wants something from the players he gets it, or to look at it another way, any player coming out and saying when the manager asks for something the players ignore him.

The best quotes from Nolan were the stuff about him not wanting to be remembered as a legend and saying the club made big mistakes after our last promotion. It must have been ten years after our last promotion before the club made any big mistakes, unless you count regularly finishing in a European place and coming within a whisker of winning the PL.

And before anybody wrongly accuses me of being  somebody I’m not, it was Nolan who had to drag up the last regime and it’s not my fault he was talking rubbish. Like I said earlier, a sense of delusions of grandeur underpins the sound bites. And this is definitely it for me until next season. NE5 indeed! Some are obsessed with NE5, or should that be infatuated and secretly desire to wrap their lips around his throbbing shaft while he talks dirty about Freddy Shepherd?