Football Finances

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest malandro

It’ll never happen anyway. The clubs most affected are also the most powerful clubs in Europe with some of the world’s richest men backing them. They won’t be pushed around by UEFA. They’ll wave the break-away-european-superleague stick around  and the proposal will be watered down to next to nowt.

What about clubs such as us, will they be forced to fold when relegated if they can't sell their players for decent fees?

No, we'll not be allowed to play in Europe after relegation.   :idiot2:

:lol: Skim read it on my phone.

So if the top 4 don't match the criteria would the places go to the clubs in 5th to 8th.

Not a fucking chance they'll bin any of the current "big four" like this.

:lol: Skim read it on my phone.

So if the top 4 don't match the criteria would the places go to the clubs in 5th to 8th.

Not a f***ing chance they'll bin any of the current "big four" like this.

I don't think anybody has mentioned what happens to the places if teams fail to qualify for financial reasons, I would think they would have to go to teams who are in lower positions.  Something similar happened when we won the Fairs Cup and only one team from each city could enter the competition.

No reason, but:

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/default.aspx

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/default.aspx

NFLMLBNBA
PlayerPhilip RiversAlex RodriguezKevin Garnett
TeamSan Diego ChargersNew York YankeesBoston Celtics
Salary ($)25,556,63033,000,00024,751,934
Salary (£)17,152,10222,147,65316,612,038
Equivalent per week (£)329,848425,916319,462

:lol:

Top US sports franchises have inferior revenues than the top European football teams, however. The New York Yankees "only" have €275m compared to Real Madrid's €400m, Barça's €366m, etc...

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/33/baseball-values-09_New-York-Yankees_334613.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Football_Money_League

The fact they don't pay transfer fees in America allows them to pay these silly wages to players.

Taxes will prevent them from paying themselves stupid amounts of money to get around these laws.

Another thing they could do is what Espanyol did when they were broke and they were still fan-owned (so money couldn't be injected directly). Their sugar daddy bought players on his own accord and he loaned them to Espanyol free of charge.

What I mean with all this, is that this rule can probably easily be circumvented if someone really wants to.

There's ways around anything.  But like with any other rule there's nothing stopping Uefa from investigating anyone that tries to bypass them and punishing them for it.

The baseball teams in big markets (NY, Boston, LA etc.) earn more money from tv than they do from gate receipts and shit. The 275m that the Yankees earn is just the basic shit, they earn a shit load more on tv (but it's under the name of another company so it doesn't show up in the accounts). What I'm saying is that they make a lot of profit and can spend 200m a year on payroll, while Premiership clubs obviously cnanot sustain the amount of money that they're giving out in wages.

The NBA also has a salary cap that is directly indexed to the revenue the league makes, so if the league's attendances drop, then next year hte salary cap would decrease, thus always keeping the % of money spent on wages consistent and manageable.

THe NFL also has a salary cap and their tv deal is extremely lucrative (given that they only pay 17 games a year).

The baseball teams in big markets (NY, Boston, LA etc.) earn more money from tv than they do from gate receipts and shit. The 275m that the Yankees earn is just the basic shit, they earn a shit load more on tv (but it's under the name of another company so it doesn't show up in the accounts). What I'm saying is that they make a lot of profit and can spend 200m a year on payroll, while Premiership clubs obviously cnanot sustain the amount of money that they're giving out in wages.

The NBA also has a salary cap that is directly indexed to the revenue the league makes, so if the league's attendances drop, then next year hte salary cap would decrease, thus always keeping the % of money spent on wages consistent and manageable.

THe NFL also has a salary cap and their tv deal is extremely lucrative (given that they only pay 17 games a year).

The Yankees wage bill is £134m which the biggest in Football can certainly afford.  I'd be interested to see a breakdown of their total revenue, just because I like numbers :)

The baseball teams in big markets (NY, Boston, LA etc.) earn more money from tv than they do from gate receipts and s***. The 275m that the Yankees earn is just the basic s***, they earn a s*** load more on tv (but it's under the name of another company so it doesn't show up in the accounts). What I'm saying is that they make a lot of profit and can spend 200m a year on payroll, while Premiership clubs obviously cnanot sustain the amount of money that they're giving out in wages.

The Yankees wage bill is £134m, which the biggest in Football can certainly afford, even with having to spend money on transfer fees.  I'd be interested to see a breakdown of their total revenue, just because I like numbers :)

then again they do play 632 games per season.

Checked on the net and apparently the TV money goes to the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network.  The network shows New York Yankees and New Jersey Nets games and made around £227m in revenue last year.  The Yankees themselves own 36% of the network, can't find any info on what percentage of the revenue they recieve though.

This thread will soon be the Football and Baseball finances thread :D

Can't believe they play 162 games in a league season! :o  I was wondering how they managed gate receipts of £145m last year :lol:

Checked on the net and apparently the TV money goes to the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network.  The network shows New York Yankees and New Jersey Nets games and made around £227m in revenue last year.  The Yankees themselves only own 36% of the network so obviously they won't recieve anywhere near all of that cash.

Can't believe they play 162 games in a league season! :o  I was wondering how they managed gate receipts of £145m last year :lol:

They need the exercise.

http://product.images.fansedge.com/44-00/44-00691-F.jpg

Baseball, keeping alive the aspirations of sports stardom for fat people since 1876  :thup:

When do NUFC’s last set of submitted results become public?

They are due to be filed by 31 March 2010.  But as the fine for not doing so is only £150 I doubt Mike is that bothered when they go in.  I have been checking every day for the past few weeks as I think there may be some interesting reading in there.

When do NUFCs last set of submitted results become public?

They are due to be filed by 31 March 2010.  But as the fine for not doing so is only £150 I doubt Mike is that bothered when they go in.  I have been checking every day for the past few weeks as I think there may be some interesting reading in there.

Is it not a requirement of the football league that they are filed in time?

Filed with the Football League maybe but the Football League won't make them public.

Checked on the net and apparently the TV money goes to the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network.  The network shows New York Yankees and New Jersey Nets games and made around £227m in revenue last year.  The Yankees themselves own 36% of the network, can't find any info on what percentage of the revenue they recieve though.

It's not really about what the Yankees own, it's about what the Steinbrenners own.

It's not really about what the Yankees own, it's about what the Steinbrenners own.

That's not really true. The Steinbrenners aren't very wealthy compared to a lot of other owners in MLB.

The money is generated by the team - ticket sales (81 home games plus postseason), sponsors, merchandise, TV (own network). Also, with the opening of the new stadium last year, the Yankees (and the Dallas Cowboys) created Legends Hospitality, so they now see more of the stadium concession revenue and they have the steakhouse (NYY Steak).

Filed with the Football League maybe but the Football League won't make them public.

No way would that be allowed, nor would the auditors sign them off on that sort of basis.

The Yankees own 36% and the other 64% is owned by Goldman Sachs and Raymond Chambers (who used to own the Nets).  Either way they don't recieve anywhere near all the revenue from the network, they recieve a rights fee which will be a fraction of the total turnover.

The Yankees also didn't spend 1.5bn on their stadium but still receive, I think, roughly 95% of gate receipts and shit.

Obviously that helps a team's financial position if you don't have to pay for a stadium but get to keep all the revenue that it generates.

No way would that be allowed, nor would the auditors sign them off on that sort of basis.

Would what be allowed? It is up to Newcastle United as to when the accounts are filed at CH, nothing to do with the auditors.  The accounts may well already be audited and signed off and filed with the FL.  The club however have not yet filed them with CH, which is where they are made public.  They can file them whenever they like, the only penalty for filing them late is a £150 fine which increases over time if they are more than 1 month late. The auditors have nothing to do with where the accounts go after they are signed off.

Would what be allowed? It is up to Newcastle United as to when the accounts are filed at CH, nothing to do with the auditors.

No way will any firm of auditors sign off accounts going forward if the company in question are using them but not filing them with Companies House.

Would what be allowed? It is up to Newcastle United as to when the accounts are filed at CH, nothing to do with the auditors.

No way will any firm of auditors sign off accounts going forward if the company in question are using them but not filing them with Companies House.

Sorry, you are wrong.  I am an auditor by the way.

They are due to be filed by 31 March 2010. But as the fine for not doing so is only £150 I doubt Mike is that bothered when they go in. I have been checking every day for the past few weeks as I think there may be some interesting reading in there.

Sorry, you are wrong. I am an auditor by the way.

As am I.

How many sets of accounts have you signed off which then haven't been committed to public record in your career?

The Yankees also didn't spend 1.5bn on their stadium but still receive, I think, roughly 95% of gate receipts and s***.

Obviously that helps a team's financial position if you don't have to pay for a stadium but get to keep all the revenue that it generates.

False statement #2.

The Yankees are paying approximately $1.1-1.3 billion of the $1.5bn. The Yankees did receive tax-free bonds from the city, which have been the subject of much debate and are certainly a huge financial help, but they will ultimately be paying those off. Also, MLB gives the Yankees a break on their luxury tax payments, as a large percentage of those can now be put towards the new stadium. This would be true for any team that owed luxury tax money and had a new stadium.

The city picked up the tab for some improvements around the stadium and new parking garages. Yes, the Yankees get to keep profits from the parking garages (similar deal for the Mets).

Sorry, you are wrong.  I am an auditor by the way.

As am I.

How many sets of accounts have you signed off which then haven't been committed to public record in your career?

Huh?  Are you on crack?  Did you read what I actually posted?

Are you a mind reader or something and know before you sign them off when they will be submitted?  They have to been signed off by the auditor before they can be filed so saying the auditor won't sign them of if they are not going to be filed on time means they are a clever firm of auditors.  Do you also travel at 88mph on the way to work?

I am certain they will be filed at some stage, just they have not yet and may not be by the dealine.  The auditors have no say over when or if they are filed. That's up to the company. I very much doubt the FL have rules that state the accounts have to be filed with CH on time, more likely the rules are they must be sent to the FL on time.  In either case the penalty for not filing on time would be a fine.

We will find out in a few days if they file them before the deadline or not.