Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

The interview with Willo this week sounds like he is really grateful to CH for "rescuing" him. The sh*t that he had to deal with at Pompey is crazy.

It was not that long ago when we were always getting the piss takes about how shoddy our defenders were and now there is never mention.

Settled and effective - works for me!

It may be a little harsh but I often think that Barton and Beresford have a bit of a selective memory when they think back to their role in that team. They were our weakest links in that team imo, but they still talk about those times like they were one of the Beardsley, Lee, Ferdinand, Albert, Ginola etc level purely by association. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Barton, imho, was shite at least Beresford (especially in the early days) offerred something in attack.

Niether of them were anywhere near top drawer though.

That team with Enrique and Beye would've won the league.

Guest firetotheworks

It may be a little harsh but I often think that Barton and Beresford have a bit of a selective memory when they think back to their role in that team. They were our weakest links in that team imo, but they still talk about those times like they were one of the Beardsley, Lee, Ferdinand, Albert, Ginola etc level purely by association. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Barton, imho, was s**** at least Beresford (especially in the early days) offerred something in attack.

:snod: Hence my sig.

Barton, imho, was s**** at least Beresford (especially in the early days) offerred something in attack.

:snod: Hence my sig.

Fair play mate - I view with av's off.

Enrique and Beye are the best fullbacks we've had in my years of following the club.

Did Babayaro even play again after leaving us? Awful player.

Didn't Gullit sign him for L.A Galaxy?

He played 45 minutes in a friendly, gave away a pen, and was released iirc. He had trials at Pompey too but they came to nowt I think.

Like a growing number of our players I have a lot of love for Williamson.

Hard not to tbh. Been solid as fuck pretty much every game. When you think of some of the shite we've bought to play CB for more than we paid for Mike n all its hard to be fond of him.

Been solid as fuck pretty much every game.

Unless you read this forum, which seems to think he's a very average and very fortunate defender, who is only looking good because Coloccini is doing all the defending.

Been solid as fuck pretty much every game.

Unless you read this forum listen to Ronaldo/Colocho, who seem to think he's a very average and very fortunate defender, who is only looking good because Coloccini is doing all the defending.

Plenty of praise for Williamson from pretty much everyone.

Been solid as f*** pretty much every game.

Unless you read this forum listen to Ronaldo/Colocho, who seem to think he's a very average and very fortunate defender, who is only looking good because Coloccini is doing all the defending.

Plenty of praise for Williamson from pretty much everyone.

I remember quite a few saying they'd bring in Campbell for him when fit though.

I've read loads more than them saying they'd drop him for Campbell. In one pre-match thread in particular (may have been for the Sunderland game before we learned he was unavailable) there was more people wanting Campbell-Colo than Williamson-Colo. That's hardly praise, endorsing the idea of dropping him for someone who can't even be arsed to get himself match fit.

I know they were, that's what I was trying to get at. We'd be mental to drop him now imo. I know that managers often change things around to 'freshen things up' (like Hughton did when Harewood came in, swapped Ranger-Carroll for Harewood-Lovenkrands) but imo you want a settled back 4 and goalkeeper where possible, especially if they're playing well. They're gaining an understanding and dropping him for someone who'll be off the books in about 7 or 8 months just for his 'experience' seems nothing short of barmy to me.

I know they were, that's what I was trying to get at. We'd be mental to drop him now imo. I know that managers often change things around to 'freshen things up' (like Hughton did when Harewood came in, swapped Ranger-Carroll for Harewood-Lovenkrands) but imo you want a settled back 4 and goalkeeper where possible, especially if they're playing well. They're gaining an understanding and dropping him for someone who'll be off the books in about 7 or 8 months just for his 'experience' seems nothing short of barmy to me.

Exactly, every good team in history has had a settled back 4. Madness to chop and change especially when Sulzeer is on his way out at best. I'd prefer for Mike to make a few mistakes and learn and carry on playing and be a key player in the longer term.

Personally, i'd like to see what Campbell can offer. Williamson has been  solid, but I think Campbell could provide better protection for a keeper who's basically an accident waiting to happen.

Williamson doesn't deserve to be dropped as such, but his place in the team shouldn't be immune to evaluation, either.

Personally, i'd like to see what Campbell can offer. Williamson has been  solid, but I think Campbell could provide better protection for a keeper who's basically an accident waiting to happen.

Williamson doesn't deserve to be dropped as such, but his place in the team shouldn't be immune to evaluation, either.

Same with the entire team.

As far as I'm concerned, he's done no worse and no better than Colo.