Newcastle United 2 - 0 Crystal Palace - 27/01/10 - Post match reaction from p19

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

Just got back. Not as bad as some think. We weren't particularly good, but the game was almost entirely about us and the way we played. We dictated more or less everything. No one played particularly badly when they had the ball, it was as a team that we really lacked cohesion. A lot of the time Carroll in particular was guilty of over playing it and not playing the obvious, but effective ball. Smith mopped up pretty well throughout the match, but Nolan once again was nowhere to be seen. To be fair when he had the ball he did ok, but he was never an attacking threat, and left us without any shape or support for anyone in that area, he was hardly ever there to help anyone out and when Palace won it back went storming into an interception and made it easy for their players to just turn the other way and bypass him. Really Smith deserves a lot of credit because he had a lot to do on his own.

Special mention tonight though, and man of the match for me was Guthrie. Everything that we did that was anywhere near quality going forward went through him, his crosses were lovely and he passed it about well despite having little support. Pancrate actually did well too, their left winger didn't really get a sniff.

Coloccini was business as usual and dominated, but was lucky with a yellow. I'll need to see it again, but from where I was sat, and the general consensus from everyone around us was that it was going to be red. It looked nasty.

Enrique going off curtailed all of the attacking threat from our left. Kadar did ok, especially defensively, but tried to get forward a little too often, and couldn't deliver in the way Enrique can, and couldn't get back like he can either, we were pretty lucky that Palace were toothless going forward. I think if Jose's out for a while then Kadar will fill in nicely, but Jonas looked a little lost without him.

Ranger was very good, and did everything that Carroll had been doing to an extent but with far more nause and awareness. Nice finish too.

Williamson did alright, certainly not MOTM but if it builds his confidence then f*** it. He was often going for headers that either Smith or Colo were already going for, which was a worry, but considering he's been here for 0.6 seconds I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Routledge was a threat and had some nice touches without really punishing them. Looks promising though.

Harper - 7: One excellent save, and one dodgy moment, but generally didnt have a lot to do.

Enrique - 7: Great attacking threat until he went off. Got probably the loudest song of the night when he went off.

Williamson - 6.5: Couple of strange headers he went for, but other than that a good job.

Colo - 7: What you'd expect, solid.

Kadar - 6: Needs to watch how often, how far and when he goes forward, because he couldnt get back in time. Defensively sound though.

Pancrate - 7: Surprisingly he was actually good as a RB, snappy would be the best way to describe it I reckon.

Guthrie - 8 MOTM: The one player who took control and made anything that should happen, happen.

Smith - 7: Defensively good, thwarted by a non-existent Nolan.

Nolan - 4.5: Nowhere to be seen.

Jonas - 6.5: A lot less effective when Jose went off, but never stopped trying and helped Kadar out a lot.

Routledgend - 7: Pretty good, looks like a poor mans Aaron Lennon, which will do nicely.

Carroll - 6: An off and on performance, he really needs to just play it simple and get into a position where he can damage teams.

Lovelycakes - 6: Got into some good positions that could have A) Have been played through to him better, or B) Been taken better by him.

Ranger: 7.5: As I said, he did everything Carroll should have been doing and posed a threat as soon as he came on. Nicely taken goal too.

Hughton - 6.5: He did more or less everything right with the changes. The man really needs to have the balls to drop Nolan though.

Awful game to sit through but the result was always going to be the important thing tonight. Nolan did fuck all. Literally. Smith and Carroll were both very poor and Lovenkrands was barely noticeable on the pitch.

On the up side, the new lads looked very solid. Williamson did well and Kadar did all that was asked of him. Hope Enrique just felt a twinge and came off before it got worse because we need him. Him going off shifted the momentum of the game. We could do with Ryan Taylor ans Simpson back because I don't want to see Pancrate playing RB again. Far too scary.

Awful game to sit through but the result was always going to be the important thing tonight. Nolan did f*** all. Literally. Smith and Carroll were both very poor and Lovenkrands was barely noticeable on the pitch.

On the up side, the new lads looked very solid. Williamson did well and Kadar did all that was asked of him. Hope Enrique just felt a twinge and came off before it got worse because we need him. Him going off shifted the momentum of the game. We could do with Ryan Taylor ans Simpson back because I don't want to see Pancrate playing RB again. Far too scary.

glad I'm not the only one who wasn't convinced.

What an awful game of football. If we'd won 1-0 with the own goal it would have summed it up perfectly, but Ranger took his chance well having missed a good chance with a header earlier.

Harper - Had very little to do but save a few long range strikes, good handling.

Kadar - Started at right back and wasn't involved much. Moved to left back and attacked a bit but was good defensively, not much of an attacking threat.

Coloccini - Good, still strong. One error with the Palace sub, but he decided that wasn't going to lead to anything by wiping him out off the ball :lol:

Williamson - Attacks everything. Similar to Taylor but bigger and...smarter. Was easy for him because he was much bigger than their striker.

Enrique - Can't pass but he makes Jonas tick. We were a much poorer team without him.

Nolan - Shite. But a bit better than his usual shite. But still shite.

Smith - Better than against WBA but not brilliant.

Jonas - Quiet, missed Enrique.

Guthrie - Worked his arse off, barely gave the ball away all night to be honest.

Lovenkrands - Looked bright early on but faded.

Carroll - Got kicked, pulled, pushed and barged to the ground, kept going and did his bit for the team but probably should do better in the box, the first goal was down the other end but his header should be on target, fortunately it turned out Shaun Derry is shit.

Pancrate - Looked awful for the first 10 minutes at right back, was very good second half though, even crossed well

Routledge - Quick, direct, dangerous, can pass - Very useful signing on this cameo.

Ranger - Got his goal and gets into the positions to score, suited him playing with Routledge on the break.

Palace were alright, looked every bit the side that was 11th and better defensively that some who have visited SJP this season. That said they looked pretty toothless up top and Ambrose does everything for them. Was quite a nervous atmosphere tonight, not really getting on the players back but no noise at all, except from the boys and girls in level 7 who were great as ever. Good 10 minutes of "we're Newcastle and we're going to win the league" or whatever it is, impressive.

We play long balls to Carroll like he's Drogba when all it achieves is us losing the ball, time and time again.

doesn't help when half the time Carroll doesn't appear to be flicking it on to anyone in particular.  Just seems like he's told to make sure he get his head on it and hope for the best.

That's been evident all season, but people turn a blind eye and hope he magically transforms into Shearer.

Guest firetotheworks

I think calling Smith poor is more than a bit harsh. The poor bloke was a one man centre midfield!

Smith wasn't playing in midfield though, he spent most of his time trying to be a third centre half.

Aye, because Nolan was nowhere to be seen and Smith had to move back so he didn't get bypassed like Nolan was time and time again.

I think calling Smith poor is more than a bit harsh. The poor bloke was a one man centre midfield!

Smith wasn't playing in midfield though, he spent most of his time trying to be a third centre half.

Aye, because Nolan was nowhere to be seen and Smith had to move back so he didn't get bypassed like Nolan was time and time again.

Er, no.  Nolan was shite, but Smith sits far too deep and refuses to take any responsibilty for anything until the opposition attack reaches our 18 yard line.

Just got back. Not as bad as some think. We weren't particularly good, but the game was almost entirely about us and the way we played. We dictated more or less everything. No one played particularly badly when they had the ball, it was as a team that we really lacked cohesion. A lot of the time Carroll in particular was guilty of over playing it and not playing the obvious, but effective ball. Smith mopped up pretty well throughout the match, but Nolan once again was nowhere to be seen. To be fair when he had the ball he did ok, but he was never an attacking threat, and left us without any shape or support for anyone in that area, he was hardly ever there to help anyone out and when Palace won it back went storming into an interception and made it easy for their players to just turn the other way and bypass him. Really Smith deserves a lot of credit because he had a lot to do on his own.

Special mention tonight though, and man of the match for me was Guthrie. Everything that we did that was anywhere near quality going forward went through him, his crosses were lovely and he passed it about well despite having little support. Pancrate actually did well too, their left winger didn't really get a sniff.

Coloccini was business as usual and dominated, but was lucky with a yellow. I'll need to see it again, but from where I was sat, and the general consensus from everyone around us was that it was going to be red. It looked nasty.

Enrique going off curtailed all of the attacking threat from our left. Kadar did ok, especially defensively, but tried to get forward a little too often, and couldn't deliver in the way Enrique can, and couldn't get back like he can either, we were pretty lucky that Palace were toothless going forward. I think if Jose's out for a while then Kadar will fill in nicely, but Jonas looked a little lost without him.

Ranger was very good, and did everything that Carroll had been doing to an extent but with far more nause and awareness. Nice finish too.

Williamson did alright, certainly not MOTM but if it builds his confidence then f*** it. He was often going for headers that either Smith or Colo were already going for, which was a worry, but considering he's been here for 0.6 seconds I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Routledge was a threat and had some nice touches without really punishing them. Looks promising though.

Harper - 7: One excellent save, and one dodgy moment, but generally didnt have a lot to do.

Enrique - 7: Great attacking threat until he went off. Got probably the loudest song of the night when he went off.

Williamson - 6.5: Couple of strange headers he went for, but other than that a good job.

Colo - 7: What you'd expect, solid.

Kadar - 6: Needs to watch how often, how far and when he goes forward, because he couldnt get back in time. Defensively sound though.

Pancrate - 7: Surprisingly he was actually good as a RB, snappy would be the best way to describe it I reckon.

Guthrie - 8 MOTM: The one player who took control and made anything that should happen, happen.

Smith - 7: Defensively good, thwarted by a non-existent Nolan.

Nolan - 4.5: Nowhere to be seen.

Jonas - 6.5: A lot less effective when Jose went off, but never stopped trying and helped Kadar out a lot.

Routledgend - 7: Pretty good, looks like a poor mans Aaron Lennon, which will do nicely.

Carroll - 6: An off and on performance, he really needs to just play it simple and get into a position where he can damage teams.

Lovelycakes - 6: Got into some good positions that could have A) Have been played through to him better, or B) Been taken better by him.

Ranger: 7.5: As I said, he did everything Carroll should have been doing and posed a threat as soon as he came on. Nicely taken goal too.

Hughton - 6.5: He did more or less everything right with the changes. The man really needs to have the balls to drop Nolan though.

Spot on agree with every point.

Guest firetotheworks

Er, no.  Nolan was s****, but Smith sits far too deep and refuses to take any responsibilty for anything until the opposition attack reaches our 18 yard line.

I disagree. The end.

Er, no.  Nolan was s****, but Smith sits far too deep and refuses to take any responsibilty for anything until the opposition attack reaches our 18 yard line.

I disagree. The end.

So you think Smith doesn't sit too deep, takes responsibility & leads team out when we're under pressure?

Fucking hell. :lol:

Was Carroll pretty poor tonight? It's a bit annoying that none of our strikers seem to be able to maintain a run of scoring, we keep having to change things based on one-off performances.

He was dreadful. Created nothing and never looked like scoring.

Guest The_Scoreboard

We could do with Ryan Taylor ans Simpson back because I don't want to see Pancrate playing RB again. Far too scary.

thats what i thought when he came on and received lessons/tuition from williamson for the first ten minutes. :yikes: but after that he calmed down and did an ok job. didnt notice nolan at all. Routledge reminded me a bit of Dyer (the good bits). I dont think I am ever gonna get used to the poor level of refereeing in this league, its really abysmal :thdn:

couldnt see from my seat how close ranger's header went? was it even close?

Was Carroll pretty poor tonight? It's a bit annoying that none of our strikers seem to be able to maintain a run of scoring, we keep having to change things based on one-off performances.

Carroll does maintain a run, 1 goal every 5 games.

Guest firetotheworks

He just overdid it. Kept the ball for too long, and was laboured. He needed to release it earlier, and often, especially in the first half the balls to play were simple and would have been near on one on ones for Lovelycakes and Jonas.

Second half he was getting it too often on the left wing and instead of crossing it you could tell he was thinking 'but I need to be in the middle' so would play it back to Guthrie who would have to start something off again.

Guest michaelfoster

Harper  6 made some routine saves when needed but didnt have to do much, far too slow at distribution

Kadar   6 - he did alright, struggled at RB due to him being left footed but played better when switched to his natural position at LB

Williamson   7 - Solid, especially in the air. MOTM

Coloccini  6.5 - fairly solid

Enrique   6.5 - played well until he pulled up with his hamstring, probably would of been motm if he played the full 90

Guthrie   6 - average

Smith   5 - gets more cards than Paul Daniels

Nolan   5 - Would of been invisible if he wasnt so fat

Jonas   6.5 - Looked good in attack until he got injured then seemed to loose a yard of pace & found it hard to take people on

Loven   6 - fairly quiet game.

Carroll  6.5 - put himself about, won headers but didnt really cause enough of an attacking threat.

Pancrate   6 - Average on right wing, had a decent 2nd half at RB

Routledge   7 - Showed he could be a good player for us, horrible colour boots though.

Ranger   6 - scored a fairly straight forward goal but offered little else

He was dreadful. Created nothing and never looked like scoring.

Amen.  For every 4 headers he went for, he got his head on 2 (not necessarily finding a B&W shirt), fouled the defender for another, and went down like a sack of spuds for the other (rarely winning a FK).

Guest The_Scoreboard

couldnt see from my seat how close ranger's header went? was it even close?

Nowhere near, about a foot or so over

cheers. looked a good chance but he made amends :clap2: