Anyone else still unhappy that Shearer isn't our Manager?

QBG

I know I am. Childhood hero, and even though we went down it was great having him back in the dugout. Travesty that he didn't get the job all in all. Think he'd probably be more agressive away from home as well. Anyone else?

To be honest, no.

If we go up and struggle, then once again Shearer can come in and be the hero, or if he fails again, can have the excuses set up.

If he was already here now and struggled next season, which lets face it would be probable as well, that'd be the end for him.

Guest toonlass

Not happy about the way he was treated, and not happy with the guy we have instead, but not particularly no.

What Daveeed said.

What Davros and Jill said.

He wasn't aggressive in his tactics away from home last season,so why would it have been any different this?

Probably because we were playing Tottenham and Liverpool Away last year. I'm pretty sure a Shearer team Away at Scunthorpe or Leicester would be different.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He wasn't aggressive in his tactics away from home last season,so why would it have been any different this?

Would you have been aggressive with his tools, we'd have been ripped apart last season

Probably because we were playing Tottenham and Liverpool Away last year. I'm pretty sure a Shearer team Away at Scunthorpe or Leicester would be different.

And Stoke and Villa.The Villa game,where we needed to win,still rankles with me now...after being on top for about 20 minutes we sat back and invited them onto us,and once they scored,we had no momentum.I mean,inviting the likes of Ashley Young to attack David Edgar.....

Not happy about the way he was treated, and not happy with the guy we have instead, but not particularly no.

Not sure I get this bit unless I missed something. Everything Shearer wanted in those 6 weeks in charge, he got (Wise out, Dowie in, etc). He had plenty of time to keep us up (that shocking home draw at Portsmouth springs to mind), and had he won that, would have been given the job full-time imo.

And Stoke and Villa.The Villa game,where we needed to win,still rankles with me now...after being on top for about 20 minutes we sat back and invited them onto us,and once they scored,we had no momentum.I mean,inviting the likes of Ashley Young to attack David Edgar.....

Probably more to do with player Morale than his tactics. I dont see Shearer the premierships top scorer being a guy who sets his team out to play defensively really.

I love Shearer as much as the next Newcastle fan but I'm yet to be convinced that he has the ability to be a top manager. I don't like the way ex-players get top jobs without doing the ground work. It very rarely comes off. He needs to manage at least in the championship first (by that I mean a normal championship club, not one that can fill fifty thousand seats and really shouldn't be playing in this division). I mean somebody like Plymouth, Bristol City, Coventry or the like.

I'd like to see him in charge of us at some point, but not just because of who he is, it has to be because he is the best man for the job on merit.

Probably more to do with player Morale than his tactics. I dont see Shearer the premierships top scorer being a guy who sets his team out to play defensively really.

What about one of the most skilful players ever to play in Britain, Kenny Dalglish?

Not sure I get this bit unless I missed something. Everything Shearer wanted in those 6 weeks in charge, he got (Wise out, Dowie in, etc). He had plenty of time to keep us up (that shocking home draw at Portsmouth springs to mind), and had he won that, would have been given the job full-time imo.

Keegan wouldnt have kept us up given the same period of time. Wasnt plenty of time atall considering that crapstorm of a season we were coming off. Was nowhere near enough.

Surely he was brought in to raise morale...

Bringing Alan Shearer back to Newcastle United was the best decision I have made.

Alan and his staff did all they could to try and keep us up in the short space of time they had.

Talks are now ongoing between us about how we can take this club forward again.

We want him to be the manager 110%.

He's very good at what he does and he's a straight-talking guy - we like that. He would be the perfect appointment.

We are trying to sort something and we will give the public some information as soon as possible.

Alan has put a lot of work into the job at Newcastle and we are talking to him now.

They then proceeded to tell him nothing, making him look like an idiot hanging on. That's all I'm referring to.

Think it may have been more to do with the players heads going down after the goal. We were in it for most of that first half, but think the players didn't want to know after the goal. Depends on your point of view though, I'm a blatant Shearer apologist.