Wasted Talent

Guest firetotheworks

Guest palnese

Wayne Rooney.

what? Probably the best player in the world atm!

He's still not at the top level with Messi, Ronaldo etc.

Over the last couple of weeks he's been just as good as anyone else.

Guest sittingontheball

Another player I would mention is Sócrates. Never won the WC, never succeeded in Europe, but god hell he was one of the best midfielders I have ever seen. He captured my childish imagination at the Spain WC.

He was subject to one of the greatest toon transfer rumours ever. He was a doctor, and just after the Rossi WC, the Chronicle made out that he was Toon bound to study medicine at Newcastle University. Utter bollocks, of course.

Guest icemanblue

David Bentley

Kevin Hofland

Harry Kewell

Chris Kirkland

Antonio Cassano

Legend in the days of Champ Man!

What happened to him?

Guest sittingontheball

For his first fifteen games in England, Arjen Robben was completely unstoppable. Equal to or better than Christiano Ronaldo. He's still a good player, but I suspect the special thing he had has been kicked out of him and partially replaced with all the diving.

Winner for waste is still Gazza though. I don't think a move to ManYoo would have changed a thing. They had a massive drinking culture at the time.

Does Chris Sutton fall into this category?

Looked like he was destined for big things but kind of fell by the way side.

Another one is David Hirst. I know his career was blighted by injuries but his talent was definitely wasted.

I wouldn't say Le Tissier was a wasted talent. He had fantastic skill on the ball and could produce some wonderful moments, but he was not much of an athlete and that was always going to hold him back. I don't think a move to a bigger club would have changed anything.

That achievement of something like 42 successful penalties out of 43 is absolutely outstanding.

Michael Ricketts, was on fire at Bolton and got an England call up, then ate a lot of pies and was kicked out of half the teams in the lower leagues before he was 30.

Le Tiss was a lazy git who pulled daft stunts like playing half-pissed and kicking the ball out of play because he had a bet on the first throw-in. His phenomenal talent deserved a lot better than the wanker who owned it.

Le Tiss was a lazy git who pulled daft stunts like playing half-pissed and kicking the ball out of play because he had a bet on the first throw-in. His phenomenal talent deserved a lot better than the wanker who owned it.

Just thought he was a bit slow, myself.

I wouldn't say Le Tissier was a wasted talent. He had fantastic skill on the ball and could produce some wonderful moments, but he was not much of an athlete and that was always going to hold him back. I don't think a move to a bigger club would have changed anything.

That achievement of something like 42 successful penalties out of 43 is absolutely outstanding.

Being an athlete isn't a talent though, anyone can achieve physical fitness through hard work.

As Ronaldo says, he just couldn't be arsed.

Funny how we speak in past tense of a player that's still 27. He's an outcast at Valencia, though (I think he's on loan now).

Last I heard hes at Sporting Braga. Imo he just arrived at SJP at a bad time- we had a lethal midfield back then