Foreign NUFCs

Ketsbaia

I would have to say The Cubs are the closest to being the Newcastle of America (as far as baseball goes).

Maybe as far as winning anything, but the've never even been close (so no tragic failure... just failure) - also the Cubs are the affluent and very white northern-suburban demographic of Chicago which is also a two team town... the demographics kill the compason for me.

That said I can't think of any other baseball team that would be a better fit... but I've never been a fan.

Their instant ability to shoot themselves in the foot ties that knot with us though. The Bartman incident just tipifies if. Instantly that link was why I chose to follow them.

The Browns in NFL have that same skill at falling over the line too though that may be all Cleveland franchises.

Hearts were an idenikit of us having not won anything since the 50s either but went an ruined that on the same day we lost the 1st cup final by winning the Scottish Cup. Their implosion since is very us.

Bayern Leverkusen

A.k.a. Neverkusen

They're called Bayer Leverkusen by the way... nothing to do with "Bayern" (bavaria) I know only one letter, but still  :lol:

But I think more of Schalke. Came close to win the title few years back, great fans as well. And maybe even Hamburg, also coming close to win the title in recent years and buying "great" players like Van der Vaart and now even past-players like RvN. So they are also a bit similar to us imo.

Bayer are nothing like us. They're a recent intruder in German football built on the back of the industrial pharmaceutical giant and Bankrolled accordingly. No great fanbase until recently either. More akin to the Smogs.

Lazio in Italy? Challenged and bought some big names in the early to mid 90s, have had the odd good league and European runs since then, and now appear to be skint and in danger of relegation.

I'd have to say no on that one. Rome is a two team town (Roma and Lazio) and like most Italian cities the division is along political lines with Lazio being the right wing team (hence the Nazi saluting and the displaying of the swastika during games... classy). Rome is also the capitol so the demographic compaison is way off for that one.

Bayern Leverkusen

A.k.a. Neverkusen

They're called Bayer Leverkusen by the way... nothing to do with "Bayern" (bavaria) I know only one letter, but still  :lol:

But I think more of Schalke. Came close to win the title few years back, great fans as well. And maybe even Hamburg, also coming close to win the title in recent years and buying "great" players like Van der Vaart and now even past-players like RvN. So they are also a bit similar to us imo.

Yeah Bayer Aspirin... sorry about the misspelling.

In 2002 when the threw away the league title, the league Cup and the CL final in a single week I thought: "One of us, one of us..."

I would have to say The Cubs are the closest to being the Newcastle of America (as far as baseball goes).

Maybe as far as winning anything, but the've never even been close (so no tragic failure... just failure) - also the Cubs are the affluent and very white northern-suburban demographic of Chicago which is also a two team town... the demographics kill the compason for me.

That said I can't think of any other baseball team that would be a better fit... but I've never been a fan.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_times_have_the_chicago_cubs_won_a_championship

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nl/chicubs/cubs.html

if you don't think there's an element of tragedy to the Cubs, i have to ask if you know even one fan (i'm not btw).  the sense of eternal optimism & yet 'oh well' resignation of being a Cubs fan is so great it comedic.  see a play called the bleacher bums for an example.  i think it's a fair comparison.

Buffallo Bills lose a record four Superbowls in a row in the early 90s, I would have probably committed suicide if I were a fan. Now they are even considering moving the franchise, don't they?

They already play one game a year in Toronto. They're past openly flirting with moving.

Yeah, those four in a row were rough. That pretty much sucked.

Guest WashyGeordie

PAOK and Besiktas?

OK, OK, i admit that it's 'cos they both play in b&w as i don't really know anything about them, but as far as i gather, they both have passionate and loyal fans, aswell as PAOK being in the NE region of Greece.

Village, man. Let me ask you something. Barca obviously win quite a lot. The only similar team I have are the Yankees.

When Barca wins a trophy, do you feel anything?

Every time the Yankees won it all, I felt more relief than happiness. I was only happy when the victory let me take the piss out of Mets and Sox fans.

I can't help but feel like I'm doing it wrong. I've cheered and been loud about the victories, but it's always been pretty artificial. There's more in the journey than the result, I find.

It's quite depressing that we can't quite find a comparison as bad.  "Athletico Madrid are probably the closest in Spain, though they did win the league/cup double in 96".  "Schalke are definitely a good comparison, though they did win the UEFA in 97". "PSG compare if you leave the cup winners' cup" :lol:

Village, man. Let me ask you something. Barca obviously win quite a lot. The only similar team I have are the Yankees.

Every time the Yankees won it all, I felt more relief than happiness. I was only happy when the victory let me take the piss out of Mets and Sox fans.

I can't help but feel like I'm doing it wrong. I've cheered and been loud about the victories, but it's always been pretty artificial. There's more in the journey than the result, I find.

I feel exilarated when Barça win something, man. Our fortunes are relatively recent. 50% of our league championships have been won in the last 20 years, and all of our European Cups/CLs. I run, I scream, I sing, I jump... it's awesome. I amit that Barça is something that also gives me a connection to home, and everytime they win one of the first things I do is pick up the phone and call my brother in Spain, and we scream at each other for minutes. I mean I was even overjoyed when we won the CWC joke. When Barça win something is really, really the greatest thing on Earth. May long it continue.

And yes, a big part of the joy of winning the league is that it means that the Franco cunts haven't.

I feel exilarated when Barça win something, man. Our fortunes are relatively recent. 50% of our league championships have been won in the last 20 years, and all of our European Cups/CLs. I run, I scream, I sing, I jump... it's awesome. I amit that Barça is something that also gives me a connection to home, and everytime they win one of the first things I do is pick up the phone and call my brother in Spain, and we scream at each other for minutes. I mean I was even overjoyed when we won the CWC joke. When Barça win something is really, really the greatest thing on Earth. May long it continue.

And yes, a big part of the joy of winning the league is that it means that the Franco cunts haven't.

:lol: Envious of that, tbh. It's not like I'm never jubilant like you, it's just that it never happens during that championship moment.

And yes, a big part of the joy of winning the league is that it means that the Franco c***s haven't.

:lol: Envious of that, tbh. It's not like I'm never jubilant like you, it's just that it never happens during that championship moment.

Being a Yankee fan must rule too. I mean, everybody in the nation hates you lot, so when you win is like  :thefinger:

I went crazy when the Yankees won the WS this year (huge fan). It was so great to see after heartbreak in '01, losing in '03, the unspeakable acts of '04, and the pathetic display of '08. I'll admit that '99 was a little ho-hum after winning in '96 and '98. 2000 was sweet just because of the Mets.

And yes, a big part of the joy of winning the league is that it means that the Franco c***s haven't.

Being a Yankee fan must rule too. I mean, everybody in the nation hates you lot, so when you win is like  :thefinger:

:lol: That's where the joy is! The next day, fucking with the Mets fans. That's absolute bliss. Oh man. You can't beat that.

I went crazy when the Yankees won the WS this year (huge fan). It was so great to see after heartbreak in '01, losing in '03, the unspeakable acts of '04, and the pathetic display of '08. I'll admit that '99 was a little ho-hum after winning in '96 and '98. 2000 was sweet just because of the Mets.

I remember when that ball was falling into Charlie Hayes' glove back in 96. As it was falling, I was flying out of my seat, big inhale for the scream, smile on my face, hands in the air. He caught it, and nothing.

Compare that to Jim Leyritz in Atlanta. You know what moment I'm talking about, because you're smiling right now. :lol: Went nuts.

I really don't believe that a Barca, ManU etc. fan would experience anything like the joy that we would at winning a cup.

Actual fans of those clubs probably would tbf, it's just that they're all drowned under the plastics and are pretty much extinct today. I agree, though.