Foreign NUFCs

Ketsbaia

Toronto FC in Canada/America. Huge support but do very little, not to mention former NUFC players have played for them and also they have had a few of our former coaches aswell.

They have also existed for 3 years.  ;D

Toronto FC in Canada/America. Huge support but do very little, not to mention former NUFC players have played for them and also they have had a few of our former coaches aswell.

They have also existed for 3 years.  ;D

Maybe they shouldn't of modelled themselves on us, not disputing they havn't existed for very long, but in that 3 years they are the NUFC of the MLS.

I was thinking the Bills too. The city is a really good comparison and it doesn't get much worse than losing four straight Super Bowls.

Reminds me of an old joke...

A little boy appears in front of a judge after his parents get divorced. He gets to choose who he will live with. The judge asks, "Do you want to live with your Daddy?"

"No," said the boy. "He beats me."

"Ok, then you want to live with your Mom?" asks the Judge.

"No," he says. "She beats me too."

"Well then who do you want to live with?"

The boy thinks for a minute and then says, "How about the Buffalo Bills? They never beat anyone."

Ba-Dum-Chaaaa

Lillestrøm in Norway.

Well, i always consider Brann to be more of the NUFC type of clubs tbh.

They've won the league just a few seasons ago, man :lol:

That said, if they hadn't I'd have said them over Lillestrøm.

Yeah, know that Kaizero, but Lillestrøm won the cup a couple of seasons ago too.

So both have a major trophy in reasent time.

I agree that both clubs are kind of NUFCish.

But imo Brann is much closer. They have bigger crowds, more proud of who they are, and a fucking soap opera... Also, Bergen is a sister city of Newcastle according to wiki  :laugh:

Marseille in France definitely.

In very recent years are. Historically, they are canny massive compared to us.

Yeh. I'd say Paris St Germain are more similar (despite their Cup Winners Cup win).

And in Germany, Schalke is probably closest. What about Italy?? I can't immediately think of one.

Genoa Cricket and Football Club  - aka Genoa - springs to mind.

Would definitely concur with the Schalke and FC Brann comparisons and in Spain Athletic Bilbao may be worth a shout despite their mackem connections.

Bayern Leverkusen

A.k.a. Neverkusen

Champions League final  :nope:

Weren't they fancied to win 3 trophies in 2002, with the league being an almost certainty, and walked away with none? I'm sure they lost something like a 10pt lead at one point.

As soon as I started reading the OP I just thought 'Atletico Madrid', very similar, although they do suffer from having always had (since the early 50s or so, give or take a few good years) vastly superior neighbours, which is obviously not the case for us...

Marseille in France definitely.

I saw a lot of similarities between St-Etienne and Newcastle when I was there. How the whole city is all for the team, be it man, woman or child, how they sold out the ground no matter what, big crowds when they went down, an iconic legend (we have Shearer, they have Platini), and not won anything for a while. In Spain, Real Betis seem to be a lot like us.

Good shout actually. Especially about the crowds.

The similarity I see with Marseille is how the city lives for the club, bordering on obsession, the managerial kneejerk changes and trophy signings (since early 90s of course).

Toronto Maple Leafs.

Full house everyweek despite being shyte.

Being ripped off in trades (signings)

Players not living up to reputations

Young prospects with potantial being useless.

Nad the fans still back the team, remind you of any soccer team recently.

Bayern Leverkusen

A.k.a. Neverkusen

They're called Bayer Leverkusen by the way... nothing to do with "Bayern" (bavaria) I know only one letter, but still  :lol:

But I think more of Schalke. Came close to win the title few years back, great fans as well. And maybe even Hamburg, also coming close to win the title in recent years and buying "great" players like Van der Vaart and now even past-players like RvN. So they are also a bit similar to us imo.

Zaragoza and Betis don't have the ambition or the size NUFC has. And Zaragoza has been a well run place bar the very few last years (and they got some decent silverware in the 1990s). You have a similar story though, came roaring in the 1990s playing great football and got relegated a decade later with a squad that was too good to go down. Betis is pure comedy, indeed (and were also too good to go down). You never had an owner as nuts as Manuel Ruíz de Lopera, however.

But the Atlético comparison is very, very apt (your ownership is not as crooked, though)

Bayern Leverkusen

A.k.a. Neverkusen

They're called Bayer Leverkusen by the way... nothing to do with "Bayern" (bavaria) I know only one letter, but still  :lol:

But I think more of Schalke. Came close to win the title few years back, great fans as well. And maybe even Hamburg, also coming close to win the title in recent years and buying "great" players like Van der Vaart and now even past-players like RvN. So they are also a bit similar to us imo.

I'd rather be compared to St.Pauli but I may be kidding myself - although we're both top of our 2nd divisions right now and we do have fans who like to party !

The earlier St.Etienne comparison was a good shout too.

aye definatly hearts in scotland, a bit of a joke these days ever since the lithiuanian took over. A lot of jokes about hows the grounds gonna be sold off as an Asda car park get bantered around.