Agent claims Given reneged on City commission

Thespence

Given was always a selfish cunt, but will try and convince us he's always loved us and always will - it's where he'll make his money when he's finished as a Newcastle 'legend'.

One of my favourite Given moments while here, proving that he was always happy to have a good rivalry with his good mate Steve Harper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/2996634/Newcastle-turn-down-Givens-plea-for-transfer.html

And the insitstence from some on here that he was a 'loyal servant' to the club - he was a very well paid 'servant' that stabbed us in the back and engineered a move while under a contract that he had only just signed.

Guest neesy111

when the guy put a transfer request after being dropped in 2000, tells something about him as a person

one of the best tactical decisions by a manager was when bobby dropped him for the juve match

Yeah, but still, I doubt Given would have made a massive effect on our survival in the Premiership.

We only needed to score one goal or concede one less to stay up. Thats what good keepers do, make a big save which keeps you in a game to then grab one yourself.

Yeah, but still, I doubt Given would have made a massive effect on our survival in the Premiership.

We only needed to score one goal or concede one less to stay up. Thats what good keepers do, make a big save which keeps you in a game to then grab one yourself.

Fair point, but a 'keeper is only as good as the team in front of him, and last season we were shocking.

He wont be getting a clap or a boo from me.  He was paid well for 10 years. He buggered off when we really needed players to stand up and be counted.

I think there is a word for that, its  "coward".

Loyalty my arse.

I liked Shay Given and he did give us a lot of great service.

I guess he thought he had to go to City mid-season or they would have splashed out on another world class keeper instead, but the timing of his departure means I will never have positive feelings for him now.

If he had waited until the end of the season I'm 85% sure we would still be in the Premiership now.

He wont be getting a clap or a boo from me.  He was paid well for 10 years. He buggered off when we really needed players to stand up and be counted.

I think there is a word for that, its  "coward".

Loyalty my arse.

This.

The problems last season were not as much the goals Shay may have saved but more the goals the forwards should have scored and the shocking refereeing decision in the Fulham game to disallow Viduka's goal.

Owen didnt score in the last 10 games and Martins missed a couple of sitters in the home game against Portsmouth. If we had won those two games, we would have stayed up comfortably.

Given got an offer he couldnt refuse in January that would probably have not still been available to him in the summer. The way the club was being mismanged all of last season was enough to make anyone leave.

The problem with given was that he always had to try and make his save look brilliant by parrying it away when he could of simply caught it. A good example of that was the liverpool 5-1 match he was easily MOTM but when there was goalmouth scrambles he should of caught the ball instead of parrying it back into the goal mouth

The problems last season were not as much the goals Shay may have saved but more the goals the forwards should have scored and the shocking refereeing decision in the Fulham game to disallow Viduka's goal.

Owen didnt score in the last 10 games and Martins missed a couple of sitters in the home game against Portsmouth. If we had won those two games, we would have stayed up comfortably.

Given got an offer he couldnt refuse in January that would probably have not still been available to him in the summer. The way the club was being mismanged all of last season was enough to make anyone leave.

then simply say "here is my transfer request" instead of having his lawyer  leaking stuff to the media etc. he dragged it out to try and squeeze extra cash out the club.

I've not got any serious bad feelings towards Given.  I'd have liked him to stay til the end of the season, but he was here for 10 years, had seen the club become a complete joke and JFK was manager! Many players would want to leave. Where he wanted to go may not have been available in the summer, and what would he have stayed for? 4 more months after 10 or so years.

Guest John McClane

some of the posters on this thread make me sick. newcastle should be happy that Given didint leave a long time ago like he should have lets be honest he saved newcastle so many times and was always a big fish in a small pond. Shay is a world class goalkeeper and he is even too good for man city.

some of the posters on this thread make me sick. newcastle should be happy that Given didint leave a long time ago like he should have lets be honest he saved newcastle so many times and was always a big fish in a small pond. Shay is a world class goalkeeper and he is even too good for man city.

This  :thup:

i agree on how good he is (even though hs seems to be not not so good the least month or so) but are you ok with the way he left ? the leaking to the press that he wants to leave but not asking for a move, trying to drag more money out of a club that has paid him well ?

Guest KeithKettleborough

Given went down in my estimation when he put in the transfer request when he lost his place to Steve Harper. He then seemed to be in a position that he got his place back no matter how good Harper was when he was out. This permanency reached its untouchability level I remember when we played WBA on the last game of the season a few years ago. I assumed as both WB and ourselves had positions in the league cemented and the result didn't matter, that Harper would be given a run out as he had been on the bench for all the season just about. Of course Shay had to play and Harper was out again.

The timing of the move in my opinion didn't occur due to the situation at the club. I feel that Given was probably paid what no one else in the league would give him and had so much "power" that he was undroppable and so understandably didn't want to move. It was the big offer from City that sent him packing I think.

If he had waited til the summer, I do feel that we would have stayed up. I have a lot of time for Harper but when he came in last season, he did seem quite poor by his standards and felt that Shay would have done better. Loyalty wasn't involved in Givens years at the club, money and security was much more important.

Given went down in my estimation when he put in the transfer request when he lost his place to Steve Harper. He then seemed to be in a position that he got his place back no matter how good Harper was when he was out. This permanency reached its untouchability level I remember when we played WBA on the last game of the season a few years ago. I assumed as both WB and ourselves had positions in the league cemented and the result didn't matter, that Harper would be given a run out as he had been on the bench for all the season just about. Of course Shay had to play and Harper was out again.

The timing of the move in my opinion didn't occur due to the situation at the club. I feel that Given was probably paid what no one else in the league would give him and had so much "power" that he was undroppable and so understandably didn't want to move. It was the big offer from City that sent him packing I think.

If he had waited til the summer, I do feel that we would have stayed up. I have a lot of time for Harper but when he came in last season, he did seem quite poor by his standards and felt that Shay would have done better. Loyalty wasn't involved in Givens years at the club, money and security was much more important.

What security did he need? If he left NUFC with less than £10m in the bank he's seriously mismanaged his money. And suggesting £10m is likely the understatement.

At one time here, Harper did replace him as the first choice.

• 1 month later...

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has been put up for sale by the Serie A giants, who hope to lure Manchester City and Bayern Munich into an auction to raise £30m for the Italian international.

Full story: Daily Mirror

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-News-Juventus-hope-to-tempt-Manchester-City-and-Bayern-Munich-into-30m-auction-for-Guinluigi-Buffon-article365795.html

If this ever happens, can't see Shay starting many games which he won't appreciate

The rat done a shoot at a most inappropriate time.

All those times he saved us in the past were for naught, all we needed him to do was stick about for 5 more months to possibly save the club he "loved" so much.