Holy crap I'm gonna visit Newcastle for the first time!

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

If you want a good view of the match go in the Milburn Paddocks or spend a little more & go in one of the dearer areas just above. If it's singing and a poor view go in the Leazes L7 Corner. You'll get tickets for most areas no probs, but as it's 4 together book asap for the best seats for your chosen area.

For the rest it depends where you are staying, when you are getting into town, how old you are and what you're looking for; drink, wildness, food, noise etc. The Strawberry & Shearer's are nothing like what your idea of a tourist bar may be like. I'd suggest you visit the Strawberry in the afternoon, have something to eat (plenty of Italians, Bar Meals, China Town is 2 mins from The Strawberry and there also Japanese, Thai, Tapas & Indian places). You might want to try an Indian; I've yet to see any like we have over in the States. Avoid our burger and steak places you'll be disappointed,

Leading up to the match The Newcastle Arms, Rosies, Three Bulls Head & The Percy are all busy but pretty quiet (no music). For something else try Sam Jacks or Idols; loud, busy & a bit crackers.

Enjoy.

Guest toonlass

If you want a good view of the match go in the Milburn Paddocks or spend a little more & go in one of the dearer areas just above. If it's singing and a poor view go in the Leazes L7 Corner. You'll get tickets for most areas no probs, but as it's 4 toghether book asap for the best seats for your chosen area.

For the rest it depends where you are staying, when you are getting into town, how old you are and what you're looking for; drink, wildness, food, noise etc. The Strawberry & Shearer's are nothing like what your idea of a tourist bar may be like. I'd suggest you visit the Strawberry in the afternoon, have something to eat (plenty of Italians, Bar Meals, China Town is 2 mins from The Strawberry and there also Japanese, Thai, Tapas & Indian places). You might want to try an Indian; I've yet to see any like we have over in the States. Avoid our burger and steak places you'll be disappointed,

Leading up to the match The Newcastle Arms, Rosies, Three Bull Head & The Percy are all busy but pretty quiet. For something else try Sam Jacks or Idols; loud, busy & a bit crackers.

Enjoy.

I disagree. You get a great view from the Leazes corner, and can see the play off the ball better than anywhere else. Aye so the players are not within touching distance but the angle you can see the game from and watch the play unfold is unrivaled, and the views across the city from there are brilliant.

If you want a good view of the match go in the Milburn Paddocks or spend a little more & go in one of the dearer areas just above. If it's singing and a poor view go in the Leazes L7 Corner. You'll get tickets for most areas no probs, but as it's 4 toghether book asap for the best seats for your chosen area.

Leading up to the match The Newcastle Arms, Rosies, Three Bull Head & The Percy are all busy but pretty quiet. For something else try Sam Jacks or Idols; loud, busy & a bit crackers.

Enjoy.

I disagree. You get a great view from the Leazes corner, and can see the play off the ball better than anywhere else. Aye so the players are not within touching distance but the angle you can see the game from and watch the play unfold is unrivaled, and the views across the city from there are brilliant.

I used to have a season ticket in the 2nd row of the Milburn L7 one block away from where the away supporters used to sit. You can see the city, see moves develop but I'm now in the Milburn Paddock & wouldn't move back. I think for a 1st time visitor you'd be better closer to the action.

Enjoy.

Agree. I've sat in L7 since I first got my season ticket (01/02) and have sat lower for cup games, friendlies etc and just can't get used to it. Love having a better overview of all the players on the pitch.

Edit.. AND DON'T GO TO WHITLEY BAY!

Thanks a lot fellas.  Definitely keep you updated as this evolves.  In other news, I think i'm going to visit some of these places:

<a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7263112/Britains-rudest-place-names.html">Britain's Rudest Place Names</a>

http://www.eskimo.com/~nickz/seaman/seaman.jpg

Not far from where I live in Manhattan...

So I booked my plane ticket today.  Crossing the sea on KLM and coming to see the game against Sheffield United on April 5.  :cheesy:

Coming with a group of my amigos from Baltimore who are Arsenal supporters, but they are cool dudes who will definitely cheer for the Toon when we go.  Need advice about a couple things, including a good spot in SJP for the four of us to sit, and some information about getting to and from the train station and SJP, and of course good pre- and post- match pubs.

Anybody want to dispense some wisdom?

I wasn't invited.  :rant:

I don't know you ... but, still.  ;D

You wll have to exerience Shearers bar like. And definatly either Sam Jacks or Beyond for some tits and fanny. Good banter, have the odd newcastle song on in there aswell.

For an atmosphere, definatly level 7, i sit in block D, and its normally pretty loud

Getting in the Strawberry outside the Gallowgate end is a good starter (although I prefer the Newcastle Arms just at the top of Stowell St on the occasions I manage to get to a game) just say "Hey ! Just over from the USofA for a game !" and you'll have a few happy to help

And getting to and from the train station couldn't be easier. The Metro. Though you'll have to change at Monument. Just a couple of stops then you're outside the ground.

http://newcastlearms.co.uk/default.aspx

This will help going to Newcastle Arms, and then ground Strawberry is just to right of ground.

For a proper old fashioned Newcastle bar, The Newcastle Arms takes some beating for a post match drink.

The beer was like cats piss the last time I was in, at least I would expect cats piss to taste like the beer that I had.  I don't know if they had just cleaned the lines out but it wasn't very good.

when was that ? i had no complaints christmas eve eve.

Every time Ive been in Ive had no complaints.

Only the Maggy Bank, Oddfellows and the Tap and Style in North Shields, Victory in South Gosforth, County in Gosforth, and Aletaster in Low Fell are better.

And the Free Trade & Cumberland in Ouseburn too (when you can get a inside the Cumberland that is - its always packed even midweek)

You wll have to exerience Shearers bar like. And definatly either Sam Jacks or Beyond for some tits and fanny. Good banter, have the odd newcastle song on in there aswell.

For an atmosphere, definatly level 7, i sit in block D, and its normally pretty loud

Are you trying to put the lad off? :lol:

If you go to Shearer's be warned, you'll be charged an arm and a leg for some average beer but you'll be able to hang around and watch DVDs of Titus Bramble's greatest fuck ups. The Strawberry is an alternative and it's a nice pub but it makes the Leppings Lane End mid April '89 seem spacious.

If you really are desperate to see borderline boilers get their tits out then go to Idols. It has the slightly better quality of blart and it's not rammed with Lyle & Scott clad cunts like Sam Jacks is although it is a fucking dive, you will stick to the carpet and if the DJ hears your accent you'll probably get dragged up on the bar to do daft drinking games.

Are you trying to put the lad off? :lol:

If you go to Shearer's be warned, you'll be charged an arm and a leg for some average beer but you'll be able to hang around and watch DVDs of Titus Bramble's greatest f*** ups. The Strawberry is an alternative and it's a nice pub but it makes the Leppings Lane End mid April '89 seem spacious.

If you really are desperate to see borderline boilers get their tits out then go to Idols. It has the slightly better quality of blart and it's not rammed with Lyle & Scott clad c***s like Sam Jacks is although it is a f***ing dive, you will stick to the carpet and if the DJ hears your accent you'll probably get dragged up on the bar to do daft drinking games.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Some like it though.

I got bored with it by 24.

So I booked my plane ticket today.  Crossing the sea on KLM and coming to see the game against Sheffield United on April 5.  :cheesy:

Coming with a group of my amigos from Baltimore who are Arsenal supporters, but they are cool dudes who will definitely cheer for the Toon when we go.  Need advice about a couple things, including a good spot in SJP for the four of us to sit, and some information about getting to and from the train station and SJP, and of course good pre- and post- match pubs.

Anybody want to dispense some wisdom?

You want to be with the people who sing and chant then get into the Leazes corner, block D preferably. You will be able to see the ground from the train station. If in doubt follow the people in black and white. Pre-post match pubs, basically any in Newcastle to be honest. The Strawberry and Shearers are experiences for tourists and can be pretty crowded, and the lads should be able to tell you more about where is best.

Don't go up there, it stinks of shit.

sittydoony meal  dnt think shearers does food on match days do they?

decent pub prub is hard to come by in the city centre,bizzarly the strawberrt is one of the best but by the time you want food it'll be heaving and you'll not want it in those conditions. just grab a subway/speedy and there are the usual kebaberies and pizzarettas all over.

stowell street is worth a hit for chinese early dinnertimish.

sittydoony meal  dnt think shearers does food on match days do they ?lookingfor some place on the way to the ground from train station .

Try the Milecastle on grainger street just up from the station. Just recently opened. You can get a burger and chips with a pint for £4.85. Nice place too.