Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Guest Roger Kint

Keane is exactly the kind of striker we need ie. proven and pacy, but his best years are behind him and i'm sure his wage demands would be an issue.

Like the previous poster I would prefer Cisse but he comes with the same problems - age and wages.

What we need is an up-and-coming striker in this mould but I can't think of any. Hopefully there are some plying their trade overseas that we can pick up on the cheap

Fletcher would be considerably more affordable and has proven to be decent in a shocking side.

Altidore? Not scoring much and having not seen anything of Hull this year not sure how he has played.

Nugent? Improvement on what we have i guess, not a good scoring record either though

Picnic/Diodane would both be affordable however both are limited strikers.

Guess in terms of players at the bottom we may well need to look abroad tbh. Still not wholely convinced Keane is the answer mind

The Schalke 04 striker Kuranyi looks to be an interesting possibility because apparently his contract is almost up. His goals record in the Bundesliga is excellent and he is quite a big lad too.

Unfortunately, there are other clubs sniffing around including, reputedly, the Mackems so we may not be in a position to compete on wages.

A pity, because I reckon players who, like him, have played in German football are more likely to settle in the NE than French, Spanish(yes, I know Jose is an exception)or many S.Americans. Even Hamman liked the area, he just didn't like Gullit or the board.

Yes please.  I'm sure we'll be happy with his missus moving here too.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esportes/Fotos/0,,GF59795-9645,00.html#fotogaleria=1

Keane is exactly the kind of striker we need ie. proven and pacy, but his best years are behind him and i'm sure his wage demands would be an issue.

Like the previous poster I would prefer Cisse but he comes with the same problems - age and wages.

What we need is an up-and-coming striker in this mould but I can't think of any. Hopefully there are some plying their trade overseas that we can pick up on the cheap

Fletcher would be considerably more affordable and has proven to be decent in a shocking side.

Altidore? Not scoring much and having not seen anything of Hull this year not sure how he has played.

Nugent? Improvement on what we have i guess, not a good scoring record either though

Picnic/Diodane would both be affordable however both are limited strikers.

Guess in terms of players at the bottom we may well need to look abroad tbh. Still not wholely convinced Keane is the answer mind

I've been impressed with Altidore when i've seen him play but he's not exactly prolific. Piqionne isn't a bad shout and that Dindane fella has looked alright as well. He reminds me a bit of Martins - pacy, stong and has the ability to do good stuff but can also be fucking woeful.

I'm starting to sway towards keane. we know he will score goals in the prem and that's exactly what we need next season. we are going to have to sign a proven head to go with the youngsters who we are reportedly targetting, and keane fits this bracket.

I'm starting to sway towards keane. we know he will score goals in the prem and that's exactly what we need next season. we are going to have to sign a proven head to go with the youngsters who we are reportedly targetting, and keane fits this bracket.

He's another Damien Duff, Nicky Butt, Stephen Carr, Geremi waiting to happen IMO

Guest BooBoo

In terms of available proven Premier League goalscorers that would guarentee us goals, we couldn't do much better than Keane.

He's another Damien Duff, Nicky Butt, Stephen Carr, Geremi waiting to happen IMO

How the hell would you know that?

I'm pretty sure IMO stands for In My Opinion. I'd echo the sentiment too, he hasn't looked like a top player since 07-08.

I'm pretty sure IMO stands for In My Opinion. I'd echo the sentiment too, he hasn't looked like a top player since 07-08.

I just don't think that you can really say that Keane is likely to come here play poor purely because Damien Duff, Nicky Butt, Stephen Carr, Geremi etc. have.  Incidentally, Duff and Carr have gone on to play well and stay in the top flight.  Duff may even have a medal for winning the Europa League this season.  I still think Keane is a very talented player.  His peak was 07-08 but he is still a very good Premiership player.  When you say he hasn't looked like a top player since 07/08 I assume you mean a player that should be in a team competing for a European spot finish? surely your not saying he hasn't been good enough for a Premiership side since 07/08?

I would not want Keane here unless the wages were low and the fee was very reasonable.  I'm also warming to the plan of investing in younger players who can have a better return on investment, whether that be developing in to a good player, having lower wages or having a better re-sale value.

Guest Roger Kint

I agree with you both on that, my opinion is he would be a mistake and 21 goals in 67 games since 2007/08 for Liverpool and Spurs doesnt make me think he will suddenly improve in our team which will be a big step down in quality around him.

I just don't think that you can really say that Keane is likely to come here play poor purely because Damien Duff, Nicky Butt, Stephen Carr, Geremi etc. have.  Incidentally, Duff and Carr have gone on to play well and stay in the top flight.  Duff may even have a medal for winning the Europa League this season.  I still think Keane is a very talented player.  His peak was 07-08 but he is still a very good Premiership player.  When you say he hasn't looked like a top player since 07/08 I assume you mean a player that should be in a team competing for a European spot finish? surely your not saying he hasn't been good enough for a Premiership side since 07/08?

I would not want Keane here unless the wages were low and the fee was very reasonable.  I'm also warming to the plan of investing in younger players who can have a better return on investment, whether that be developing in to a good player, having lower wages or having a better re-sale value.

Ah, now that's a bit different. If he was available on the cheap and with low wages then I'd be a bit more happy to gamble. But this is Daniel Levy, who is renowned for squeezing every last penny out of clubs, and Robbie Keane would see us as his last big pay day, would want a long term contract and some big money, so I don't think it's realistic to hope for a cut price deal with low wages. Closest to that may be a loan but doubt Harry would be willing to loan to another PL team.

My opinion comes from sadly having a lot of Spurs fans as mates. Their opinion of him since he came back from Liverpool is that he is a changed player, offers very little to the side and gets the fans' backs up by skulking and stropping about the pitch arguing with the ref constantly. Don't think we are going to have any room for passengers next season, need everyone working their tits off.

I'm actually a bit shocked his goal record is still almost one in 3 since the Liverpool move. Looking at the Premier League stats it's 16 from 53 (slightly worse) but I'm assuming quite a few would be from the bench there? But totally agree on the point re quality, we're not going to create as many chances as a Spurs or Liverpool team.

Still leaves us back to square one and i have zero suggestions of who to go after, although i'm hoping we can unearth a few gems as we did a couple of summers back with Jose, Bassong and Beye. It's always a lot harder with strikers though as they tend to be a lot more noticeable if they're banging goals in.

My opinion comes from the fact that just about every player we have signed, who has had their best years at other clubs, has been a massive disappointment. The club have wasted millions and millions of pounds in transfer fees and wages for other team's cast-offs.

The one good things Ashley seems to have brought to this club is a sensible transfer policy and I hope we don't break it for the likes of Keane.

If he was cheap or free and prepared to come on a pay-as-you-play basis or a one year contract on say £30k per week then fine, but the chances of that happening are nil.

The one good things Ashley seems to have brought to this club is a sensible transfer policy and I hope we don't break it for the likes of Keane.

We have signed Viduka, Geremi, Colo, Xisco, Smith & Cacapa while Ashley has been in charge.

We have signed Viduka, Geremi, Colo, Xisco, Smith & Cacapa while Ashley has been in charge.

In fairness, all that list were signed in his first summer here (with the exception of Colo) I think? I'm hoping that they were more Fat Sam signings than the Ashley blueprint.

In fairness, all that list were signed in his first summer here (with the exception of Colo) I think? I'm hoping that they were more Fat Sam signings than the Ashley blueprint.

They were & I can see why he no longer likes to whack the cash around.  The youth recruitment below senior level does not look that good to me. I think we are more bargain hunters looking around for unhappy players, clubs up shit creek & soon to be out of contract players rather than the original plan of looking on a global scale for future superstars.

They were & I can see why he no longer likes to whack the cash around.  The youth recruitment below senior level does not look that good to me. I think we are more bargain hunters looking around for unhappy players, clubs up shit creek & soon to be out of contract players rather than the original plan of looking on a global scale for future superstars.

Looking at Mike Ashley's wider business policies that certainly seems the most plausible definition of our recruitment system.

In terms of available proven Premier League goalscorers that would guarentee us goals, we couldn't do much better than Keane.

wonder how much Spurs would want for him.....he`s cost £75 million in transfer fees during his career so far.

As for Kuranyi....I don`t think it`s realistic with clubs like Juve sniffing about for him. He`s also been hinting at staying there, especially if Schalke manage to win the title (finally) and play in the Champions League.

watching valladolid - seville replay on sky, diego costa is a very good player, would love to have him playing up front for us.

Inconsistent. He has those games where you see that he can be very good, and then be anonymous for the next three. To his credit, he's been playing in some truly turboshit sides.

Valladolid are very likely to get relegated, so you could probably snap him on the cheap.

Speaking of Valladolid ... how has Manucho looked for them? I think that's where he is now anyway. Didn't really get a look in at Man U and I only some him a couple of times when he was on loan at Hull. I remember him being tall, athletic and quick, but not much else. Would he be someone worth looking at?

I watched them play Sevilla last night and he was ok.

Made a nuisance of himself with his strength and won his fair share in the air, also scored a goal which was pretty well taken (but it was an easy chance tbf). His technique seemed poor though and he was just used as a battering ram basically. 

Gerry Armstrong was saying it was one of the better games he'd had for Valladolid this season... probably one to avoid if that's the case cause he was nothing special. Didn't do much at Hull either iirc.

wonder how much Spurs would want for him.....he`s cost £75 million in transfer fees during his career so far.

As for Kuranyi....I don`t think it`s realistic with clubs like Juve sniffing about for him. He`s also been hinting at staying there, especially if Schalke manage to win the title (finally) and play in the Champions League.

Schalke apparently don't have the money to keep him. Can only repeat what I've said before, would never want to have him here. Not a player who seems to care too much about football and his attitude is shit sometimes.

Santa Cruz

Wright-phillips

Richards

Ireland

Johnson

Petrov

Surely we could raid Citeh

santa cruz injury prone and high wages

swp high wages

richards not a hope

ireland not a hope

johnson injury prone and fat