Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

watching valladolid - seville replay on sky, diego costa is a very good player, would love to have him playing up front for us.

Inconsistent. He has those games where you see that he can be very good, and then be anonymous for the next three. To his credit, he's been playing in some truly turboshit sides.

Valladolid are very likely to get relegated, so you could probably snap him on the cheap.

seems like a pretty hard worker making runs down the channel etc. but mainly he's quick, can take players on, and not soft as shite. was their best player when we played madrid a few weeks back too.

got any recommendations for players from the smaller sides in the spanish league?

watching valladolid - seville replay on sky, diego costa is a very good player, would love to have him playing up front for us.

Inconsistent. He has those games where you see that he can be very good, and then be anonymous for the next three. To his credit, he's been playing in some truly turboshit sides.

Valladolid are very likely to get relegated, so you could probably snap him on the cheap.

seems like a pretty hard worker making runs down the channel etc. but mainly he's quick, can take players on, and not soft as s****. was their best player when we played madrid a few weeks back too.

got any recommendations for players from the smaller sides in the spanish league?

now heres a waffle on point.....making runs down the channels ?

its a tactic we've never really worked. bellamy used to run them but more often kept on going down the wings....other clubs as a get out ball ie a fullback under pressure will try and launch it 50yds in the hope that a team mate will get in that gap between centre half and full back. warren barton was slagged off for it when everyone else was doing it because all we wanted was bals to the wingers

Bellamy did it as good as anyone tbf. Martins did it a little but not as much as he shouldve, and wasnt a bad crosser in that situation. shearer when he was a bit more mobile drifted out there quite a bit too funnily enough.

the ultimate at "working the channels" has to be henry at arsenal, though maybe he just looked better because he was surrounded with pires, cole, ljungberg etc.

Bellamy did it as good as anyone tbf. Martins did it a little but not as much as he shouldve, and wasnt a bad crosser in that situation. shearer when he was a bit more mobile drifted out there quite a bit too funnily enough.

the ultimate at "working the channels" has to be henry at arsenal, though maybe he just looked better because he was surrounded with pires, cole, ljungberg etc.

all you mean is getting out wide. i mean that spot between full backs and centre halves, towards the edge of the 18yrd box....darren huckerby territory.

Guys I would recommend without reservations from the relegation battlers in La Liga.

Duda from Málaga is a great winger, but getting too old I guess (30 next season and already looks like a grandpa).

Ricardo León. Tenerife. Xavi lite (Tenerife are Barça on a budget). Guy retains possession wonderfully, rarely ever misses a pass. 27 years old.

Xérez has Momo... but don't think he'd be a definite improvement on Jonás (better end product, but doesn't have Jonás' industry). He wants to leave that place, though. Think he's 28.

Yeah, I guess Diego Costa is worth a punt too, he has the potential to be a quite good player. But I would go for a proven PL goalscorer in your situation. You already have a bunch of potentially sub-10 goals a season "strikers".

Can't think of much else right now. Loads of shit down there.

Guys I would recommend without reservations from the relegation battlers in La Liga.

Duda from Málaga is a great winger, but getting too old I guess (30 next season and already looks like a grandpa).

Ricardo León. Tenerife. Xavi lite (Tenerife are Barça on a budget). Guy retains possession wonderfully, rarely ever misses a pass. 27 years old.

Xérez has Momo... but don't think he'd be a definite improvement on Jonás (better end product, but doesn't have Jonás' industry). He wants to leave that place, though. Think he's 28.

Yeah, I guess Diego Costa is worth a punt too, he has the potential to be a quite good player. But I would go for a proven PL goalscorer in your situation. You already have a bunch of potentially sub-10 goals a season "strikers".

Can't think of much else right now. Loads of shit down there.

cheers, i'll make sure the pass your recs on to chris.  O0

tbh i think we'll need two strikers, one who can score and another who is more of a second striker, cos i don't think carroll is good enough...yet. mind you if shola and best are still here come september i doubt we'll have signed more than one striker.

Portsmouth defender Marc Wilson is being targeted by Newcastle as Magpies boss Chris Hughton seeks to boost his squad after clinching promotion to the Premier League.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Hughton is also considering a move for Swindon's Charlie Austin after sending scouts to check on the 20-year-old striker in Monday's 1-1 draw with Exeter.

Full story: Daily Mail

Portsmouth defender Marc Wilson is being targeted by Newcastle as Magpies boss Chris Hughton seeks to boost his squad after clinching promotion to the Premier League.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Hughton is also considering a move for Swindon's Charlie Austin after sending scouts to check on the 20-year-old striker in Monday's 1-1 draw with Exeter.

Full story: Daily Mail

Wilson has looked shit playing CB in the games I've seen but played well in the holding role at Wembley on Sun.

That Matthews lad looks decent at Cardiff, although his lack of experience probably wouldn't help next year. He does fit Ashley's transfer policy though

Could learn of Jose though.

Some fella at the Guardian gets all the rumours whacks into article he thinks is witty below is the Newcastle bits:

Redknapp reckons he can get £15m by selling Robbie Keane  and Jamie O'Hara to Newcastle, possibly because Mike Ashley is a Tottenham fan.

Meanwhile, If Newcastle fail to land Keane they will instead turn their attention to the Swindon striker Charlie Austin. Beyond that Hughton will have to content himself with shopping at the Fratton Park firesale, so in will come Marc Wilson, Nadir Belhadj and Kevin Prince-Boateng.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/14/football-transfer-rumours-manchester-united

Speaking of Valladolid ... how has Manucho looked for them? I think that's where he is now anyway. Didn't really get a look in at Man U and I only some him a couple of times when he was on loan at Hull. I remember him being tall, athletic and quick, but not much else. Would he be someone worth looking at?

Keane, O'Hara, Belhadj and Boateng would be a result of a window imo. Pretty unlikely mind.

Take Keane out that list and I'd fully agree.

Yeah, i'd be chuffed to bits if we got O'Hara, Belhadj and Boateng.

The shine would be taken offit if we signed Keane though.

Keane, O'Hara, Belhadj and Boateng would be a result of a window imo. Pretty unlikely mind.

Everytime I see Belhadj, he's like a time bomb waiting to go off.  He looks alright going forward, but I don't think he's up to it defensively and lacks .......calmness (can't think of the word!)  He looks like he's gonna get sent off everytime - Mascherano-esque.

I can understand the reservations over Keane as he falls dangerously close to the "expensive and over the hill" category which dragged us down in the first place but he is a significant improvement over our current choices and I reckon would score enough goals to keep us safe. After a consolidation season we could really look to improve and start building a squad with a future.

I think we will have to settle for a few not so desirable signings this summer because we can't gamble on too many youngsters with potential.

Imo. 

Everytime I see Belhadj, he's like a time bomb waiting to go off.  He looks alright going forward, but I don't think he's up to it defensively and lacks .......calmness (can't think of the word!)  He looks like he's gonna get sent off everytime - Mascherano-esque.

I know what you mean. It's quite scary playing him in defence as he does seem quite erratic at times.

He is unbelievably dynamic going forward though. Would be a nice option to have as cover for the left wing and fullback positions, as he plays both.

I can understand the reservations over Keane as he falls dangerously close to the "expensive and over the hill" category which dragged us down in the first place but he is a significant improvement over our current choices and I reckon would score enough goals to keep us safe. After a consolidation season we could really look to improve and start building a squad with a future.

I think we will have to settle for a few not so desirable signings this summer because we can't gamble on too many youngsters with potential.

Imo. 

I really don't want Keane, but I definitely see what your saying. It would be dangerous starting next season without a striker who we knew for certain could at least score a few in the premier league.

Keane is seemingly one of a few of this type that would be available this summer. The only other person I can think of who would be available and realistic is Djibril Cisse.

Keane is obviously a better player all around, but I honestly think I would rather Cisse. Just because I really think we could do with more dynamic play in general. Keane is about to hit 30 and was never that dynamic anyway.

A combo of Jonas, Cisse and Wayne would be interesting.

The Schalke 04 striker Kuranyi looks to be an interesting possibility because apparently his contract is almost up. His goals record in the Bundesliga is excellent and he is quite a big lad too.

Unfortunately, there are other clubs sniffing around including, reputedly, the Mackems so we may not be in a position to compete on wages.

A pity, because I reckon players who, like him, have played in German football are more likely to settle in the NE than French, Spanish(yes, I know Jose is an exception)or many S.Americans. Even Hamman liked the area, he just didn't like Gullit or the board.

Guest Roger Kint

don't know peoples problem with keane hes better than any single one of our strikers and arry cant charge that much he had to ship him to scotland to get rid of him

You dont think the fact he is hitting 30, on about £50k a week and seems to be on the downward slope in terms of performances is a good enough reason to not want him or even more likely why our wonderful owner will not entertain signing him anyway. Throw in a transfer fee of at least £5m if your lucky and it becomes an expensive gamble against everything the club should be looking towards these days.

Personally i think its a bad move for us after removing most the overpaid and underperforming players to risk bringing in another.

Keane is exactly the kind of striker we need ie. proven and pacy, but his best years are behind him and i'm sure his wage demands would be an issue.

Like the previous poster I would prefer Cisse but he comes with the same problems - age and wages.

What we need is an up-and-coming striker in this mould but I can't think of any. Hopefully there are some plying their trade overseas that we can pick up on the cheap

The Schalke 04 striker Kuranyi looks to be an interesting possibility because apparently his contract is almost up. His goals record in the Bundesliga is excellent and he is quite a big lad too.

Unfortunately, there are other clubs sniffing around including, reputedly, the Mackems so we may not be in a position to compete on wages.

A pity, because I reckon players who, like him, have played in German football are more likely to settle in the NE than French, Spanish(yes, I know Jose is an exception)or many S.Americans. Even Hamman liked the area, he just didn't like Gullit or the board.

Lovenkrands could help him