Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Oba is certainly a player we don't need right now. I'd go all out for Robbie Keane, failing that Steven Fletcher. Looks like Hutton is going to mackems so not sure who we could get in a right back. Hopefully the scouts are scouring europe.

Guest je85

This is completely theoretical, but would anyone take Oba back?

No. Wasn't good enough when he was here, why should he be good enough now?

Agree - headless chicken who has been WELL sussed in the Bundesliga ; wouldn't touch him with a barge-pole.

6 goals in 6 starts, sounds like defenders have had a right laugh with him.

Please, do your research instead of just posting the nonsense that lingers inside your head all of the time.

I'm afraid its YOU that has a monopoly on 'nonsense lingering in the head' - you had a long-running battle with macca recently, and you got more hysterical and detached from reality with every posting but you have exceeded yourself with this - If Martins was the stunning success you make him out to be, why was it that the Germans didn't play him ALL the time...6 MATCHES ? You use this as a yardstick for his success, but obviously the manager of his team was not as impressed as you and not surprisingly - German sides demand FAR more than a flash in the pan every few games, they want CONSISTENCY, something Martins has consistently failed to produce over a period of more than one season. They also want a good first touch, not that of someone who couldn't trap a medicine ball..!

If I were you, I would learn from that age-old saying - engage brain before operating mouth - do us all a favour and learn a bit about football, something NUFC fans were once famous for.

Because Dzeko and Grafite are two of the best goalscorers out there. Oba is in his first season in a league that is completely different from what he is used to. He hasn't been a stunning success, and I don't think anyone is disputing that. However, to say he's been a flop is taking it to far imo.

If I remember correctly Dzeko and Grafite are now the most sucessful strike partnership in Bundesliga history.

Players like Martins are the living proof of what was wrong with Newcastle United - bought for an excessive fee as a cast-off from a REALLY big club who replaced him with 2 truly world class strikers in Crespo and Ibrahimovic.

NUFC signed Martins because we had a second-rate manager in Roeder and a Chairman who was to Newcastle United as the late Cyril Smith MP was to hang-gliding...and Smith was a VERY heavy man...!

Roeder needed a so-called 'star' name to accredit himself with the fans and no one who fitted that bill was going to sign for him OR Shepherd so they got Martins for 10m thinking(correctly, in many cases)that the fans would think he was the best thing since sliced bread because he cost a big fee and came from Inter.

The fact that so many fans would have Martins back after he proved not fit to lace Shearer's boots as either a goal-scorer OR a footballer in the Prem shows how successful Shepherd and Co were at selling the idea of the 'King's New Clothes'...Martins at best was a player who scored great goals - but not often enough and who did NOT contribute as much to the team as he should have done ; in short, a loose cannon who promised more than he delivered.

I would have thought we had had enough of that type of player and at least, because of the budget restrictions, that type of signing is a thing of the past at NUFC - we want a TEAM - NOT a group of individuals.

I wouldn't have him back in a month of Sundays, but I think Oba did fairly well in his time here when you consider what the circumstances of the club were and the players he often had around him.

I think we might divulge into the Spanish market this year, no idea why, just a little feeling of mine. We've got 3 Spanish speaking players who have been instrumental this season, so language wouldn't really be too much of a barrier.

Agree - headless chicken who has been WELL sussed in the Bundesliga ; wouldn't touch him with a barge-pole.

Please, do your research instead of just posting the nonsense that lingers inside your head all of the time.

Pot calling the kettle black, numpty. If he is so good, why has he only started 6 games? Think before you enter discussions, sonny.

Don't even know if those stats are correct but seeing that Armin Veh (after buying Martins) not played him after a few weeks and that Lorentz Günther Köstner did not really play him at all proves for me that he isn't good enough to be in the starting XI. Dzeko is certainly a great player and would keep him out regardles of Martins performances but Grafite has been poor for the majority of that season and sometimes looked worse than Ameobi in the Premier League.

Anyway, getting away from the uusual waffle of certain posters ion here, has anyone checked out Nicky Maynard from Bristol City.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, I realise he is unproven in the PL but given the chance, I think he could be a success, possibly in the similar mould as Andy Cole a few years ago.

I watched him closely last night against Blackpool and apart from scoring an absolute cracker, I was impressed with his overall contribution in a very ordinary BC side. His weakest point seems to be his reluctanceto use his left foot when well positioned but his overall movement, control and link up play was first class. I would offer BC  a couple of million plus Leon Best.

I also looked closely at Charlie Adam as well and other than a couple of decent crosses, he was largely ineffective and slower than a carthorse. We should keep well away from him. He also has a very bad disciplinary record, something like 15 yellow cards this season.

Out of interest do people think Carroll will be in the starting eleven next season? I think that would be okay as long as we get a quality striker to play alongside him. However, that would mean a 4-4-2 formation, which would likely mean Nolan playing in a midfield two. This scares me.

Pot calling the kettle black, numpty. If he is so good, why has he only started 6 games? Think before you enter discussions, sonny.

Are 25% of your posts about me? Get a fucking life.

Never said he was good enough to start, just that there's no substance whatsoever to the claim that he's been well sussed over there.

Our strategy should be to sign first teamers for money, and back-ups for free. Bertrand, Senderos, Scharner, Albin, Clerc, Pedersen and Feghouli (has been linked with Valencia though) are going to be out of contract.

Maynard and Pederson would be crap signings in my opinion. We've got two many strikers like Maynard already who could get perhaps ten to twelve goals absolute tops in the Premiership. As for Pederson, he's still living off his first season in English football, doubt his wages would be cheap either.

Guest toonlass

Heard on the radio there that Pedersen is out of contract in the summer. Worth a punt? He used to be quality, maybe not as much now but at least he is proven...

Morten Gamst? No thanks.

As I've posted before, one of my main targets would still be Paulo Guerrero of Hamburg. Isn't a regular starter anymore because of RvN and is out of favour with the fans because of that bottle he threw at a fan's head. Is a free agent as well as he has not signed a contract yet.

Guest toonlass

As I've posted before, one of my main targets would still be Paulo Guerrero of Hamburg. Isn't a regular starter anymore because of RvN and is out of favour with the fans because of that bottle he threw at a fan's head. Is a free agent as well as he has not signed a contract yet.

Aye cos we are shouting out for another drinking vessel hoying player. Or we will be when Carroll is in the clink anyway.

Aye cos we are shouting out for another drinking vessel hoying player. Or we will be when Carroll is in the clink anyway.

He doesn't drink.... and he threw that bottle because that fan said something very bad to him and Hamburg were in turmoil at this time.