Best English Midfielder since Gazza

Mowen
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gerrard comfortably.

Everyone is gonna sugar coat Scholes because he retired young, in reality he provided no more than Gerrard or Lampard.

I don't think many people are basing this on international performances, none of them have been consistently at their best for England.

Oh, well, bugger. I dunno then, cos whilst I prefer the other 2, Scholes' performances have ultimately ended in medals.

Gerrard comfortably.

Everyone is gonna sugar coat Scholes because he retired young, in reality he provided no more than Gerrard or Lampard.

I don't think many people are basing this on international performances, none of them have been consistently at their best for England.

Oh, well, bugger. I dunno then, cos whilst I prefer the other 2, Scholes' performances have ultimately ended in medals.

I thought you might have confused English with England there...none of them have been as good for country as club. Beckham has at times, but he's always been shit at tournaments.

Scholes > Beckham > Lampard > Gerrard

Scholes was naturally ahead of the other three. Beckham was at his peak for years and has done the business outside of England (and internationally moreso that the other three). Ronaldo is bang-on about Lampard, criminally underrated, especially on here. Gerrard is...well, Gerrard - should have left LFC years ago.

I don't think Scholes has ever had a 20+ season, even when he played as forward. But his goal tally is great for a midfielder.

And Lampard is a great player, I'm not sure if I would put either him or ManU Beckham in the second spot.

Just checked on wiki, seems you're right. He got 20 in 02-03, not in any other season though. I never thought of him as playing as a forward mind.

Gerrard comfortably.

I thought you might have confused English with England there...none of them have been as good for country as club. Beckham has at times, but he's always been shit at tournaments.

In this case, I'm probably gonna go with Stuart Ripley.

Gerrard comfortably.

In this case, I'm probably gonna go with Stuart Ripley.

Fair play, it's either him or Jason Wilcox.

Guest firetotheworks

There's very little between them imo. Scholes's prime was probably during the time I wasn't into football for a bit. So with that in mind I'd just about give it to Gerrard. Beckham's shown at more than one team, but Gerrard has shown it in a team that has never been fit to shine his shoes.

Been thinking a bit more about this. Honestly don't think there's much between them, tbh. I still don't think any of them can really grab a game (at international level) and control it or drag a team back into a match. Gerrard can, certainly, for Liverpool but I've never seen him do it for England. Beckham has probably been the most influential at international level, tbh.

I can't help but think a player like Roy Keane with his immense presence and attitude would've helped England's cause massively.

There's very little between them imo. Scholes's prime was probably during the time I wasn't into football for a bit. So with that in mind I'd just about give it to Gerrard. Beckham's shown at more than one team, but Gerrard has shown it in a team that has never been fit to shine his shoes.

Gerrard over those three?

:mackems:

Guest firetotheworks

Gerrard over those three?

:mackems:

Like I said, I had a phase where I totally lost interest in football, and that was when Scholes was at his best, so I cant have any opinion on him. Out of the other three including Gerrard, I'd have Gerrard first, definitely. I fucking love Lampard, but he plays in a better team, and for me is less defensively sound than Gerrard. Beckham has proved it in other teams, which is mint, but he's one dimensional, albeit at a preposterously high level. Gerrard has been class in a shit team, and aside from being a cunt, and a cheat, he's a fucking excellent player. Been shit this season mind.

Beckham, easily.

I say this because Beckham could have the most all round influence on a game than the others mentioned in the poll, or any other Englishman of the generation.

Gerrard. None of us want to admit that he's a great player but unfortunately he just is. I don't think any of he others on the list would be able to hold up an utter turboshit side to the extent Gerrard has been doing for years.

The caveat being that my interest in English football started around 2004-ish so I haven't seen scholes or becks in their primes.

Scholes > Beckham > Lampard = Gerrard

That's over the timeframe described. I've always thought Scholes was phenomenal (btw was it Keegan who described Scholes as someone who drops "hand grenades in the box"?) Genuine class - even if he is a butcher of a tackler!

I always thought Beckham was overrated because of his pretty face and sweet right foot, but there's so much more to his game. His engine, his example to others, his professionalism and dedication to his craft. There's a reason Milan signed him twice on loan, even at his age...

Lampard and Gerrard I couldn't split - both have their claims but I just can't decide. Lampard is as regular as a metronome when it comes to scoring, and as has been said before Gerrard has carried his team for a decade. Until Torres signed they were a one-man-band. But he's an odious wanker, and a serial diver to boot.

I also notice that there are precious few "others" I wracked my brain and the only two suggestions I could think of were Ince and Mcmanamann. Neither of whom could match even Lampard or Gerrard, but might be "best of the rest"...?

Guest Roger Kint

Lampard>Scholes/Gerrard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Beckham

Gerrard for me.  His all round game is better than any of the other three.  He can tackle, pass, shoot and he leads the team well.

He might be a diving b*stard, but he's the only one of the four that can carry a team single-handledly.

Guest Roger Kint

Gerrard for me.  His all round game is better than any of the other three.  He can tackle, pass, shoot and he leads the team well.

He might be a diving b*stard, but he's the only one of the four that can carry a team single-handledly.

Alternatively hes the only one of the four that actually has to, bit harsh to judge others for it(waits for someone to insert tedious Beckham reference here)

Alternatively hes the only one of the four that actually has to, bit harsh to judge others for it(waits for someone to insert tedious Beckham reference here)

True, but I can't imagine any of the other three to be able to.

I think if Gerrard was to be played in the right position (not out wide) and without restrictions (partnership with Lampard) then he would excel.  Perhaps a Barry-Gerrard partnership in the middle?