Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Newcastle stars like Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan will be asked to take a pay CUT if the Magpies win promotion to the Premier League.

Whilst most players look forward to a raise in their wages on going up to the promised land, Newcastle’s players are being told they face cutbacks.

Smith and Nolan, along with Jonas Gutierrez and Fabricio Coloccini, are all still on big money from the contracts handed to them during Newcastle’s big spending Premier League days.

But with owner Mike Ashley forced to pump another £10million into the club just to get them through the season, the players are being forced to accept the gravy train has come to a halt.

Ashley is fed up with paying out £40m a year in wages and Newcastle are instead dangling the carrot of extended deals for their big earners, but with the players picking up less money per year.

Smith and Nolan would see an extra year added to their current contract, but their wages would be spread out over the length of the deal.

The move could see an exodus of Newcastle’s big name players, although there are several key men open to negotiations.

Ashley has already set to work in tackling a ludicrous culture of spending at St James’ Park that saw big guns earning around £240,000 a month.

He put a £10,000 a week limit on wages for new signings in January after it was revealed Newcastle are losing £500,000 per week.

Now Ashley is desperate for the Championship leaders to land a spot in the Premier League and inherit a £35m cash windfall.

That would allow him to repay the personal loans he has made to the club before looking for a buyer to take the Magpies off his hands.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-stars-like-Alan-Smith-and-Kevin-Nolan-face-pay-cuts-if-they-book-Premier-League-return-article350851.html

Have to say this is Ashley at his motivational best, how could this possibly back fire on him

Newcastle stars like Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan will be asked to take a pay CUT if the Magpies win promotion to the Premier League.

Whilst most players look forward to a raise in their wages on going up to the promised land, Newcastle’s players are being told they face cutbacks.

Smith and Nolan, along with Jonas Gutierrez and Fabricio Coloccini, are all still on big money from the contracts handed to them during Newcastle’s big spending Premier League days.

But with owner Mike Ashley forced to pump another £10million into the club just to get them through the season, the players are being forced to accept the gravy train has come to a halt.

Ashley is fed up with paying out £40m a year in wages and Newcastle are instead dangling the carrot of extended deals for their big earners, but with the players picking up less money per year.

Smith and Nolan would see an extra year added to their current contract, but their wages would be spread out over the length of the deal.

The move could see an exodus of Newcastle’s big name players, although there are several key men open to negotiations.

Ashley has already set to work in tackling a ludicrous culture of spending at St James’ Park that saw big guns earning around £240,000 a month.

He put a £10,000 a week limit on wages for new signings in January after it was revealed Newcastle are losing £500,000 per week.

Now Ashley is desperate for the Championship leaders to land a spot in the Premier League and inherit a £35m cash windfall.

That would allow him to repay the personal loans he has made to the club before looking for a buyer to take the Magpies off his hands.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-stars-like-Alan-Smith-and-Kevin-Nolan-face-pay-cuts-if-they-book-Premier-League-return-article350851.html

Have to say this is Ashley at his motivational best, how could this possibly back fire on him

I am sure they will be delighted to work an extra year for no pay!

Guest Roger Kint

That story has soo many holes in it. The usual rubbish designed to infuriate the fans with no real substance to it, the final sentence tells you how little credibility it should be given ;D

Guest Roger Kint

That story has soo many holes in it. The usual rubbish designed to infuriate the fans with no real substance to it, the final sentence tells you how little credibility it should be given ;D

People will believe it though.

Clearly Ashley would love to reduce the higher earners but in reality footballers very rarely accept such things. Look at when Gold suggested it for example ;D

Guest bobthemag

I see them (ashley and lamb chop) as inept wankers who have almost destroyed a football club I've supported for over 40 years due to a whole series of bad decisions.

It's comments like this that make me :facepalm: about some of our support, football is emotive, but after 12-18months you'd hope that people would start to get a sense of perspective, particularly when other events in the footballing world unfold and shed some light on the underlying situation at every business.

Footballing-wise, there have been some horrendous mistakes made, especially the attempt to sign Harry Redknapp (wtf?!) then the doomed appointment of KK; however, it is noticeable that their decisions are improving (even if it's just because they are making fewer of them).

Business-wise, we can only really go off the numbers published at the end of every year, as we all know that the club have deliberately misled the supporters in the past. To date, the financial situation is improving, so I find it hard to fault Ashley for those decisions.

So what's the problem with HTL's point???

The "whole series of bad decisions" made by the "inept wankers" led a lot of people to draw the conclusion that they were deliberately trying to destroy the club.

The ineptitude is beyond question. Drawing the conclusion that were deliberately trying to destroy the club is laughable.

1. Did ashley deliberately buy the football club without understanding exactly what he was buying?

2. Did ashley deliberately appoint Keegan?

3. Did ashley deliberately install a system that would not possibly work with a manager of that temperament?

4. Did ashley deliberately back Wise over Keegan?

5. Did ashley deliberately appoint a bloody joke as a manager?

6. Did ashley deliberately appoint a coach as a manager?

7. Did ashley deliberately appoint Shearer as manager, a man has no previous experience, thereby showing his panic at the situation?

9. Did ashley deliberately put the club up for sale then withdraw it from sale more than once, undermining the entire football club?

10. Did ashley deliberately see a surplus of money from transfer dealings during Jan 2009?

11. Was the club relegated by 1 point at the end of that season?

Whether the b****** deliberately set out to ruin the club is not the point because nobody said that anyway, but his actions have lead to almost total ruin of the football club and there is no excuse.

It wasn't just his actions though, you can't simply ignore what went on beforehand under Shepherd where we borrowed heavily and sooner or later the belt would have to be tightened. You can't just roll Souness and Allardyce's time here under a carpet when so much damage was inflicted by these appointments.

I never have. I know they were bad appointments, especially sourness. I've said so numerous times.

I also know that those who are somehow supporting ashley now are the same people (like mandiarse) who were telling everyone to give sourness time to build his own team. I also remember that when I posted I didn't want the Board to back Sourness with money in the January window I was slated and told that the Board HAD to stump up the cash otherwise they would be confirmed as being s****.

I do understand that people want to whinge on about the previous Board because we had a good team but didn't win the title, especially after only signing 3 players in 2003 when we should have apparently signed half a team, but everything Ashley has done has been far worse than anything done by the previous Board.

So what? The previous board sold up and f***ed off with the money because they wanted to. No one held a gun to their head otherwise they could still be here now...and in fact if they wanted to invest some cash they could buy it back same way as Ashley did. But they won't because they don't want to put their money in Newcastle and neither does anyone else. Until someone does it's pointless whingeing at the only bloke who's putting anything in no matter how reluctantly he's doing it.

how much are supporters putting in ?

How many people on here go to games

I see them (ashley and lamb chop) as inept wankers who have almost destroyed a football club I've supported for over 40 years due to a whole series of bad decisions.

It's comments like this that make me :facepalm: about some of our support, football is emotive, but after 12-18months you'd hope that people would start to get a sense of perspective, particularly when other events in the footballing world unfold and shed some light on the underlying situation at every business.

Footballing-wise, there have been some horrendous mistakes made, especially the attempt to sign Harry Redknapp (wtf?!) then the doomed appointment of KK; however, it is noticeable that their decisions are improving (even if it's just because they are making fewer of them).

Business-wise, we can only really go off the numbers published at the end of every year, as we all know that the club have deliberately misled the supporters in the past. To date, the financial situation is improving, so I find it hard to fault Ashley for those decisions.

The "whole series of bad decisions" made by the "inept wankers" led a lot of people to draw the conclusion that they were deliberately trying to destroy the club.

The ineptitude is beyond question. Drawing the conclusion that were deliberately trying to destroy the club is laughable.

1. Did ashley deliberately buy the football club without understanding exactly what he was buying?

3. Did ashley deliberately install a system that would not possibly work with a manager of that temperament?

7. Did ashley deliberately appoint Shearer as manager, a man has no previous experience, thereby showing his panic at the situation?

9. Did ashley deliberately put the club up for sale then withdraw it from sale more than once, undermining the entire football club?

10. Did ashley deliberately see a surplus of money from transfer dealings during Jan 2009?

Whether the b****** deliberately set out to ruin the club is not the point because nobody said that anyway, but his actions have lead to almost total ruin of the football club and there is no excuse.

It wasn't just his actions though, you can't simply ignore what went on beforehand under Shepherd where we borrowed heavily and sooner or later the belt would have to be tightened. You can't just roll Souness and Allardyce's time here under a carpet when so much damage was inflicted by these appointments.

I never have. I know they were bad appointments, especially sourness. I've said so numerous times.

I also know that those who are somehow supporting ashley now are the same people (like mandiarse) who were telling everyone to give sourness time to build his own team. I also remember that when I posted I didn't want the Board to back Sourness with money in the January window I was slated and told that the Board HAD to stump up the cash otherwise they would be confirmed as being s****.

I do understand that people want to whinge on about the previous Board because we had a good team but didn't win the title, especially after only signing 3 players in 2003 when we should have apparently signed half a team, but everything Ashley has done has been far worse than anything done by the previous Board.

So what? The previous board sold up and f***ed off with the money because they wanted to. No one held a gun to their head otherwise they could still be here now...and in fact if they wanted to invest some cash they could buy it back same way as Ashley did. But they won't because they don't want to put their money in Newcastle and neither does anyone else. Until someone does it's pointless whingeing at the only bloke who's putting anything in no matter how reluctantly he's doing it.

If you mean what the club collects annually in Matchday revenues it's not known for this season yet. When we were in the Premiership it was between £30m and £35m every year between 2005 and 2008.

Edit: On your second question - don't live locally any more so go to about 5 home games a season.

Aye, course they will and justifiably so too.

Keep Ashley, he is at least capable of handling the economic issue if you are to believe the media. However, get rid of Lambias and get someone like Mort back in. Im tired of our chairman he says neither does anything logical.

I think with Ashley's backing we could go far especially as it seems he does have a strategic. A long-term plan, however like i said Lambias (what the f*** is he doing at the club stil) should be rid off as soon as possible.

Get a person with footballing knowledge who can help Ashley invest the money wisely. I mean we have already started to get rid of useless players with high wages such as Owen, Viduka, Martins (who I liked but to be honest wasn't consistent enough). He has tried to get rid of the high-earners and tried to bring in decent young players such as Ranger.

I think this season in the Championship will only do us good. And young player such as Carroll are given a whole season to prove their development and talent.

Get O'Hara in next season, a new right back (you don't have to have the best, just look at Birmingham), a good striker and I think we'll manage to stay up without a doubt. And also a left-back backup.

Stay Ashley, out Lambias. That's the only way to go, another ownership change will only stir us into more trouble to be honest.

Undoubtedly it's part of his Evil Plan to deliberately undermine the club.

Yep, the papers are never wrong.

Keep Ashley, he is at least capable of handling the economic issue if you are to believe the media. However, get rid of Lambias and get someone like Mort back in. Im tired of our chairman he says neither does anything logical.

I think with Ashley's backing we could go far especially as it seems he does have a strategic. A long-term plan, however like i said Lambias (what the fuck is he doing at the club stil) should be rid off as soon as possible.

Get a person with footballing knowledge who can help Ashley invest the money wisely.

Stay Ashley, out Lambias. That's the only way to go, another ownership change will only stir us into more trouble to be honest.

Like who?

Guest bobthemag

If you mean what the club collects annually in Matchday revenues it's not known for this season yet. When we were in the Premiership it was between £30m and £35m every year between 2005 and 2008.

Edit: On your second question - don't live locally any more so go to about 5 home games a season.

don't supporters put more money into the club than Mike Ashleys says he is doing ?

Supporters won't get it back like he will do when he sells too.

Does he not realise that dropping down a league has hit revenue ?

Guest bobthemag

paying footballers 10 grand a week will not keep the club in the premiership will it ?

I think with Ashley's backing we could go far especially as it seems he does have a strategic. A long-term plan, however like i said Lambias (what the f*** is he doing at the club stil) should be rid off as soon as possible.

Get a person with footballing knowledge who can help Ashley invest the money wisely.

Like who?

People normally mention David Dein at this point, not a cat in hell's chance he'd decamp to SJP especially if it was purely as a salaried employee. Anyone know what Rick Parry is doing since he was bounced out of Liverpool?

paying footballers 10 grand a week will not keep the club in the premiership will it ?

Are all of our players paid under 10 grand a week?

Guest Roger Kint

At no point does it say any future transfers will have any such limit nor should anyone be daft enough to believe it.

don't supporters put more money into the club than Mike Ashleys says he is doing ?

In that respect the supporters always have put more money in than the owners, the only difference now is that the current owner is putting something in himself.

Explain how he will get back what must now be well over £250million when he sells the club?

And yes it may well have occurred to him that revenue has dropped since relegation.

Re quantity of supporters' money vs Ashley's money, I think that season on season it's currently a close-run thing, but it's a bit of a daft argument in any case. And there's no way he'll ever get back all the money he's put it into the club. Hell, he was going to sell up last year at a £150 million loss (four or five years' Premier League matchday revenue).

Meanwhile, if you happen to know any billionaires who want to better the amount Ashley's currently putting in, please sit them down for a beer and try to persuade them to buy the club.

It's a common myth that Ashley was going to sell the club for 100m. This price didn't include the extra 80m the club owed to him.

Since then he's taken plenty of lump sums to pay himself back some of the 80m;

Given 6m

Milner 14m

Duff 3m

N'Zogbia 6m

Martins 6-8m

How much of these fees have gone back into transfers?

It's a common myth that Ashley was going to sell the club for 100m. This price didn't include the extra 80m the club owed to him.

Since then he's taken plenty of lump sums to pay himself back some of the 80m

Given 6m

Milner 14m

Duff 3m

N'Zogbia 6m

Martins 6-8m

There's nothing in the accounts that have been published so far to suggest that he's taken a single penny out of the club.

Since then he's taken plenty of lump sums to pay himself back some of the 80m;

Given 6m

Milner 14m

Duff 3m

N'Zogbia 6m

Martins 6-8m

Source for the bits in bold?

Holy crap, STM you have absolutely ZERO financial common sense whatsoever :mackems:

He's right man, surely money obtained from selling players which are not spent on getting players in, are all going into Ashley's pockets!    :pow:

Like who?

I don't have an insight on english football directors or whatever they should be called. But there must be some people with footballing knowledge who are honest and have a sense of how to control a club from a chairman position?