Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Why do you want to put it to bed?

Its currently one of the better threads on this forum, with some interesting points made by people on both sides of the argument.

If people don't like the thread then they dont need to look at it

But probably more worthy of a poll than the training ground spat.

Guest Brummiemag

Its currently one of the better threads on this forum, with some interesting points made by people on both sides of the argument.

But probably more worthy of a poll than the training ground spat.

Agree

Guest pont-toon

Not 100% sure if he is but when I saw him jump up & his facial reaction you can see he cares.

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Guest guinness_fiend

Not 100% sure if he is but when I saw him jump up & his facial reaction you can see he cares.

He's *always* looked like he cares.  He's just not the sharpest when it comes to running a football club.  Good businessman who is now being forced to learn on the job.  No complaints this season.  Whether he stays in my good books depends on how the summer goes (promoted or otherwise).

He's been trying to get the thread closed for ages for some unknown reason, though to be fair, I do think it's been pretty much covered.

The people who are definitely wrong are those who claim Ashley has so far done a grand job, he's done a shite job, however, he did the right things in January after 2 1/2 years of getting it hopelessly wrong.

There is still a fair bit to go for him to show he's getting it right and wants to take the club forward.

He's been trying to get the thread closed for ages for some unknown reason, though to be fair, I do think it's been pretty much covered.

The people who are definitely wrong are those who claim Ashley has so far done a grand job, he's done a shite job, however, he did the right things in January after 2 1/2 years of getting it hopelessly wrong.

There is still a fair bit to go for him to show he's getting it right and wants to take the club forward.

Nonsense. The appointment of Hughton has also proved to be a resounding success.

No one then.

Fuck it!

We're going up in better shape than when we came down with a decent up and coming manager and a young, hungry squad. New shirt sponsor, hopefully a new ground sponsor and fantastic crowds.

Although I wasn't happy when we went down i've loved this season.

By hook or by crook we're in good shape. Ashley is still a cunt but we're on the right track.

No one then.

I would say the people who have got it most wrong are those supposedly interested in buying the club when they wouldn't cough up the money for a relegated club. When it was time to put up or shut up they slunk away like mice.

I also think that a grand majority of the fans would find it easier to forgive Ashley if he got rid of his sneaky mouthpiece who has no grasp of public relations and has a huge chip on his shoulder towards our loyal support.

If he puts in a half decent transfer chest and continues with his long terms plans including the soucing of youngsters and cheap players from first division we may be on to a winner with him.

I am willing to give him another chance...Just hope he doesn't throw it back in my face???

No one then.

Quite. I can't remember ever coming across one of these mythical beasts.

Agree with HTL though that there is still a fair way to go for Ashley, but it's good to see some softening of opinions on him.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh and don't know what's happening behind the scenes, but has he been doing much 'steering' at all recently?  Is it not more that  now he's stopped fucking around making the wrong decisions about backing/sacking/appointing managers and selling players, now that an alright manager fell into his lap without having to do anything that we're drifting back up?

No one then.

Agree with HTL though that there is still a fair way to go for Ashley, but it's good to see some softening of opinions on him.

Try this

Maybe I'm being overly harsh and don't know what's happening behind the scenes, but has he been doing much 'steering' at all recently?  Is it not more that  now he's stopped fucking around making the wrong decisions about backing/sacking/appointing managers and selling players, now that an alright manager fell into his lap without having to do anything that we're drifting back up?

Drifting back up? Yes, that in particular is overly harsh.

Alright manager? I think we'd be hard pressed to have found a better man to manage this team as well as it has been this season.

Not forcing player sales and backing a team revamp that most managers in the division would be jealous of despite our position in the winter transfer window is also being proactive, not just stopping 'fucking around' imho.

Whether these decisions are Asley's or Llambias' it's tough to simply dismiss them as luck. I just hope to God if that is the case, this good fortune continues.

No one then.

Try this

:lol: Ummmm no, I'd think he's done a 'grand job so far' if he was this.

That doesn't mean I need to forget there have been positives and that we seem to on the right track now hopefully.

No one then.

Try this

That doesn't mean I need to forget there have been positives and that we seem to on the right track now hopefully.

Not sure why you're arguing as I've also said there have been positives. Since January.

His reaction to Enrique's goal last night was not one of financial value - I think he's developing a bit of a soft spot for the club.

He's royally f***ed it all up but things look like they're starting to improve. This Summer transfer window is probably the most pivotal in years.

His reaction to Enrique's goal last night was not one of financial value - I think he's developing a bit of a soft spot for the club.

He's royally f***ed it all up but things look like they're starting to improve. This Summer transfer window is probably the most pivotal in years.

The rubbing of his hands together at the final whistle was though ;)

The rubbing of his hands together at the final whistle was though ;)

It was very cold ;)

No one then.

Try this

Not sure why you're arguing as I've also said there have been positives. Since January.

Why I'm arguing? I agreed with your initial post, there was only one point of contention (resulting in that enjoyable memory test), where I questioned your belief that there actually people out there who 'claim Ashley has so far done a grand job'.

• 7 months later...

I think we might see something interesting from the owner in the forthcoming window.

A number of his statements indicate that he conceptualises the running of the club in terms of biannual cycles between the windows (the claim about adding funds, aborted sale attempts, contact negotiations...). This may be the first window around which events are going in his favour rather than against him. 

Pure speculation here, but I think that the stars may align in such a way that he does something unexpected (of him at least). Not only is the team doing well in terms of results, but the popular narrative supporting this achievement will be much to his liking. The club is finally coming close to fulfilling his fantasies on one level and it might be time to kick on with part II: winning back the adoration of the Newcastle Fan.

A nostalgic retrospective and limited mea culpa? A trophy signing offered as a festive treat to the great people of the Tyne? A three year contract for a manager and a three year plan to go with it? If we're in the top 8, I can see him buying an attacking player for about 15 millions, with some PR emphasis on the fact that the funds were from his own pocket, not the club's. 

He might not be the most sensible owner out there, but it is quite possible to read his motives. Any ideas?