"Zidane not good enough to be a First Division player"

Optimistic Nut

Nothing strange about the Blackburn one. Sherwood was a bigger name at the time being Captain of the league champions, Zidane was relateively unknown here.

Read that article on my mobile at school today. Was not certain what to think about this. Knowing our luck with players maybe Zidane would have never lead France at a World Cup/EURO and would have never won the Champions League. Probably he would have ended up as a "normal" player.

Or he would have won the Champions League with us...  :undecided:

Surely every club has a huge list of players they've rejected that turned out to be brilliant... it's inevitable unless you sign everyone offered to you.

True. I think most top flight clubs have similar missed opportunities.

Everton turning down Rush is the one that Springs to mind. Man United and Everton with Beardsley too.

We turned Beardsley away as well when he was a kid.

Scumbag Agent Barry Silkman Caught On Tape Wishing Bobby Robson's Cancer Spreads

In 2001, Silkman sued Newcastle United over the transfer of Chilean striker Clarence Acuna.

"I got f***ed by Newcastle and I ended up taking them to court. I settled for 25 grand when they owed me 100 grand.

"I took a player (Acuna) there (Newcastle) on trial. His club wanted $2.5m but I said don't pay it because they have got to sell the player.

"He ended up signing for 900 grand and yet they (Newcastle) still f****d me. Bobby Robson was my first manager at Fulham. I'd always kept in contact and I said ‘Bob how could you let them f*** me?'

"You know what he said? ‘You don't count. I'm the only one that counts. That's your hard luck."

"So you know what I said to him? I said: ‘I have a wife and a young daughter and a f*****g mortgage and you've turned round and said that to me.

"I said: ‘See that cancer on your nose? I hope it spreads all over your face and that you live a f*****g long, long, long life because the longer you live the more you will f*****g suffer.

"‘There's only one God and he's looking down at us two now and he's saying ‘Whose side am I on?' And let me tell you, Bob, it ain't f*****g yours because I have never f****d anyone in my life. F*** knows how many people you have f****d', and I walked out.'"

Silkman negotiated with then Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd over his commission on the Acuna deal.

"Freddy Shepherd came on the phone to me and went over the deal with me. I said: ‘Do I get it in writing?' and he said, ‘Yes, you will have it in writing.'

"When I went to the lawyer... I had it all on tape. I sent the tape to a journalist, 17 minutes and 18 seconds of him (Shepherd) saying to me: ‘I will never do you up, I will always look after you, I'm not that type of person. If we are going to sign the player I promise you, I guarantee you you will get paid.'

"I had the conversation on the Saturday morning and they signed him (Acuna) on the Tuesday. I took him there on trial, I paid for everything but they (Newcastle) never even offered me the money I had laid out."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/37553-scumbag-agent-barry-silkman-caught-on-tape-wishing-bobby-robsons-cancer-spreads

Cunt

:kasper:

That can't be fucking real, surely. Then again I've no idea why anyone would want to make it up. :undecided:

Silkman is always good read but he is master bullshiter & as LLLO post highlights a prize f***ing c***.  It was at the start of 1996 season so we knocked him back & I guess it was lucky for him Juve took a punt during the same period  :lol:

Turned down Ronaldo in favour of Viana.

What bullshit. Hugo was the top player at a international tournament (may have been the Toulon Tournament) by some distance. Ronaldo was not even on the f***ing radar.

At the time we beat Liverpool to signing Hugo:

LIVERPOOL boss Gerard Houllier turned the air blue when he learned Newcastle has beaten him to Hugo Viana's signature.

United counterpart Sir Bobby Robson revealed the Frenchman was devastated to miss out on the 19-year-old Portugal international, who was also being chased by Spanish outfit Celta Vigo.

But it was the Magpies who pounced first, offering £8.5million for the highlyrated teenager to snatch him from under the noses of their rivals.

"Two other clubs were in for him, all of us at the same money, so we couldn't have got him any cheaper," said Robson.

"One was Liverpool and I spoke to Gerard Houllier just recently about it and he said 'You b*****r, you nipped me, you beat me'."

Viana will get his chance to impress tonight in a friendly against Barcelona.

While reading the Echo I found this about Hugo signing & GH on about Robson. He has different opinion on Bobby than Silkman.

LIVERPOOL'S hopes of going top of the Premiership come under threat tonight from the Newcastle superkid Gerard Houllier wanted to sign.

Portuguese starlet Hugo Viana almost joined the Reds from Sporting Lisbon over the summer, but Sir Bobby Robson pipped Houllier for the teenager's signature.

The £8m midfielder scored his first goal for the Magpies in midweek and will be keen to show Houllier what he's missed.

But Houllier is banking on his own superkid Michael Owen to continue his devastating form against the Geordies as the Reds seek their ninth home league win in a row against the North East side.

Owen has scored 12 goals in his last eight games against Newcastle.

And having gone three games without a goal, Geordie keeper Shay Given will have a sense of foreboding about what may happen at Anfield tonight.

Houllier acknowledges tonight's opponents are an emerging force.

"Like ourselves, Newcastle have been tipped as title contenders," said Houllier today.

"When you think back to where the club was three years ago and where it is now, tribute must be paid to the tremendous work of Sir Bobby Robson.

"He is one of football's gentlemen and I have only the highest respect for him. Bobby is what I call a pure football coach. He has a wealth of experience and he is fired with enthusiasm."

Houllier may reshuffle his striking options again, with Emile Heskey likely to return to the starting line-up. Markus Babbel and Jamie Carragher are pushing hard for a return at right back.

Danny Murphy was expected to be recalled to the England squad today after missing out on the World Cup due to injury.

Murphy has been in electric form at the start of the season with two goals in three games. He's looking to continue on the same course tonight.

"I'm playing the best football of my life in the team I've always wanted to play in. A successful Liverpool team," said Murphy.

"I feel more secure now than I ever have but I'm not resting on my laurels. Lee Bowyer almost came to the club and he plays in a similar position to me, so you've always got question marks about whether you'll keep your place."

How well a player does also depends on the style of football you play, how you bring them on, where they fit in the team, etc.

If Zidane hadn't signed for Juve would he have been the same player?

Impossible to say.

As it happens, we're shite at developing talent anyway.

How many years was Milner here without ever learning to cross a football?

That has to be the most hackneyed phrase in football. There are a number of players who have done very well here, some at an early age. Paul Gascosigne is one significant example. Chrissy Waddle managed at a later age too.

Lee Clark, Steve Howey, Steve Watson, Alan Thompson etc all made England squads.

We might not be very good at promoting youth at times but that is another issue altogether. If a 21 year old still needs teaching how to cross a ball then the problem lies within. Charles N'Zogbia didnt seem to suffer the same (level of) problem (i.e. I didnt hide my pie behind my seat when he was looking like crossing a ball) with the same people around him did he?

Viana looked shite at Wolves in pre-season friendly and hasnt cut it anywhere else since. Whose problem is that? Real talent of the Zidane standard emerges anywhere and in spite of problems.

We have had problems down the years e.g. even Mick Harford became an England International despite looking piss poor here.

Perhaps we're too impatient at times. Plenty of people on this board certainly are. Perhaps we have just bought another piece of turd. Or perhaps we imagine people will be better than they ever could be - consider the number of people calling themselves Taylor on here in the hope of some reflected glory.

How well a player does also depends on the style of football you play, how you bring them on, where they fit in the team, etc.

If Zidane hadn't signed for Juve would he have been the same player?

Impossible to say.

As it happens, we're shite at developing talent anyway.

How many years was Milner here without ever learning to cross a football?

That has to be the most hackneyed phrase in football. There are a number of players who have done very well here, some at an early age. Paul Gascosigne is one significant example. Chrissy Waddle managed at a later age too.

Lee Clark, Steve Howey, Steve Watson, Alan Thompson etc all made England squads.

We might not be very good at promoting youth at times but that is another issue altogether. If a 21 year old still needs teaching how to cross a ball then the problem lies within. Charles N'Zogbia didnt seem to suffer the same (level of) problem (i.e. I didnt hide my pie behind my seat when he was looking like crossing a ball) with the same people around him did he?

Viana looked shite at Wolves in pre-season friendly and hasnt cut it anywhere else since. Whose problem is that? Real talent of the Zidane standard emerges anywhere and in spite of problems.

We have had problems down the years e.g. even Mick Harford became an England International despite looking piss poor here.

Perhaps we're too impatient at times. Plenty of people on this board certainly are. Perhaps we have just bought another piece of turd. Or perhaps we imagine people will be better than they ever could be - consider the number of people calling themselves Taylor on here in the hope of some reflected glory.

I'm way too young to remember Waddle or Gazza as youngsters, and if that's how far back we need to go to find examples for the counter point then I think that speaks volumes.

Milner's inability to cross a ball clearly didn't lie within. He's twice the player now he's at Villa. Did he improve a jot while at Newcastle? Very debatable.

How long was Bramble here without ever getting any better? It sure as hell wasn't through lack of game time. He appears much more settled since moving on.

Louis Saha?

It's good that you mentioned Viana and N'Zogbia. They may simply not have the what it takes. That's a fair point to make.

That said, talent isn't innate. It requires hard work alongside the feedback and tuition of a good coach. There's a reason why the system is built that way.

We may have had moderate success recently with the likes of Taylor, and Carroll is looking promising, but our recent record doesn't have a great deal to be proud of in terms of youth development.

The only glaring exception in recent memory is Bassong. Excellent here, shite elsewhere. That obviously boils down to attitude... but that's half a coach's job: getting big time charlie to keep his head down and keep working on his game.

While reading the Echo I found this about Hugo signing & GH on about Robson. He has different opinion on Bobby than Silkman.

LIVERPOOL'S hopes of going top of the Premiership come under threat tonight from the Newcastle superkid Gerard Houllier wanted to sign.

Portuguese starlet Hugo Viana almost joined the Reds from Sporting Lisbon over the summer, but Sir Bobby Robson pipped Houllier for the teenager's signature.

The £8m midfielder scored his first goal for the Magpies in midweek and will be keen to show Houllier what he's missed.

But Houllier is banking on his own superkid Michael Owen to continue his devastating form against the Geordies as the Reds seek their ninth home league win in a row against the North East side.

Owen has scored 12 goals in his last eight games against Newcastle.

And having gone three games without a goal, Geordie keeper Shay Given will have a sense of foreboding about what may happen at Anfield tonight.

Houllier acknowledges tonight's opponents are an emerging force.

"Like ourselves, Newcastle have been tipped as title contenders," said Houllier today.

"When you think back to where the club was three years ago and where it is now, tribute must be paid to the tremendous work of Sir Bobby Robson.

"He is one of football's gentlemen and I have only the highest respect for him. Bobby is what I call a pure football coach. He has a wealth of experience and he is fired with enthusiasm."

Houllier may reshuffle his striking options again, with Emile Heskey likely to return to the starting line-up. Markus Babbel and Jamie Carragher are pushing hard for a return at right back.

Danny Murphy was expected to be recalled to the England squad today after missing out on the World Cup due to injury.

Murphy has been in electric form at the start of the season with two goals in three games. He's looking to continue on the same course tonight.

"I'm playing the best football of my life in the team I've always wanted to play in. A successful Liverpool team," said Murphy.

"I feel more secure now than I ever have but I'm not resting on my laurels. Lee Bowyer almost came to the club and he plays in a similar position to me, so you've always got question marks about whether you'll keep your place."

Lol. That takes me back. Owen had a tremendous record against Newcastle back before he was knacked. The striker he was, especially through 2001, till he did his hamstring. Stole the FA Cup from Arsenal (along with Henchoz), humiliated Germany at home like they'd never known (truly, you can't imagine how bad that was. For them :) ), and bagged us the Super Cup.

He was still a mercenary shitbag, but fuck me, could he play.

As it happens, we're s**** at developing talent anyway.

BULLSHIT!!! Since the creation of the PL we are 2nd in individuals winning the PFA Young Player of the Year, only Man Utd are above us.

Really? Wasn't aware of that.

Records I found only go back to 95/96. Since then we've had two:

2001/02:        Craig Bellamy (Newcastle United)

2002/03:        Jermaine Jenas (Newcastle United)

In that time Liverpool have had 3, Man United 4.

Not a terrible record, granted. Still, it's a fucking small sample, isn't it?

BULLSHIT!!! Since the creation of the PL we are 2nd in individuals winning the PFA Young Player of the Year, only Man Utd are above us.

Not a terrible record, granted. Still, it's a f***ing small sample, isn't it?

Haway man kidda your pissing me right?? You gotta to know how to use google or herd of Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Young_Player_of_the_Year

I was quite clear when I said individuals rather than number of winners :pow:

Since PL creation: 3 YPFA winners , England U21 captain & England record U21 caps winner & shed load of other U21 players.

I'm way too young to remember Waddle or Gazza as youngsters, and if that's how far back we need to go to find examples for the counter point then I think that speaks volumes.

Milner's inability to cross a ball clearly didn't lie within. He's twice the player now he's at Villa. Did he improve a jot while at Newcastle? Very debatable.

How long was Bramble here without ever getting any better? It sure as hell wasn't through lack of game time. He appears much more settled since moving on.

Louis Saha?

It's good that you mentioned Viana and N'Zogbia. They may simply not have the what it takes. That's a fair point to make.

That said, talent isn't innate. It requires hard work alongside the feedback and tuition of a good coach. There's a reason why the system is built that way.

We may have had moderate success recently with the likes of Taylor, and Carroll is looking promising, but our recent record doesn't have a great deal to be proud of in terms of youth development.

The only glaring exception in recent memory is Bassong. Excellent here, s**** elsewhere. That obviously boils down to attitude... but that's half a coach's job: getting big time charlie to keep his head down and keep working on his game.

Milner's improvement at Villa is as much to do with his age as he's moving into the peak years of his career, Bramble is away from the intensity of playing for Newcastle (like anyone cares about mistakes at Wigan) so look's better in comparison.  Saha was very young at Newcastle and had some fantastic players ahead of him and the French club wanted a big fee.  He developed further back in France but left for a smaller fee due his contract running down, plus it was a French coach awash with Harrords cash that took the chance of bringing him to England permantley but still it's all Newcastle's fault.

If hindsight was available at decision time? plus I'm not sure there were that many disenting voices when Milner was sold

Not a terrible record, granted. Still, it's a f***ing small sample, isn't it?

Haway man kidda your pissing me right?? You gotta to know how to use google or herd of Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Young_Player_of_the_Year

I was quite clear when I said individuals rather than number of winners :pow:

Since PL creation: 3 YPFA winners , England U21 captain & England record U21 caps winner & shed load of other U21 players.

Sorry dad.

Carroll(?) and Milner, isn't it?  :lol:

You can play with the stats all you like, when was the last time we really brought a player on?

The argument can be made for Bassong and, to a lesser extent, Bernard. But generally, we don't do much with our young players. At best they turn out pitifully average. See Michael Chopra.

Even our best young player in recent memory, Woodgate, didn't actually develop his game here.

Guest kingdawson

I think this story is true tbh.

I say this because Gerry Francis also rejected the chance to sign Zidane for us, claiming he was "too wooden". That was around the same time as this and Francis and Keegan are (were?) best mates. More then likely one was going on the advice of the other.

Louis Saha?

The only glaring exception in recent memory is Bassong. Excellent here, s**** elsewhere. That obviously boils down to attitude... but that's half a coach's job: getting big time charlie to keep his head down and keep working on his game.

Milner's improvement at Villa is as much to do with his age as he's moving into the peak years of his career, Bramble is away from the intensity of playing for Newcastle (like anyone cares about mistakes at Wigan) so look's better in comparison.  Saha was very young at Newcastle and had some fantastic players ahead of him and the French club wanted a big fee.  He developed further back in France but left for a smaller fee due his contract running down, plus it was a French coach awash with Harrords cash that took the chance of bringing him to England permantley but still it's all Newcastle's fault.

If hindsight was available at decision time? plus I'm not sure there were that many disenting voices when Milner was sold

Very true. Had a decent season, no doubt, but is still limited. Bellamy is a twat but is 3 times the player and has been all career and this season!