Sunderland...

Heron

Guest Haris Vuckic
if there was no football the rivalry would be minimal

Great point and well made. It's only football that brings these awful people even close to the people of Newcastle otherwise it's like Tokyo throwing MP3 players at a 3rd world country and criticising them for liking Nickleback.

if there was no football the rivalry would be minimal

Great point and well made. It's only football that brings these awful people even close to the people of Newcastle otherwise it's like Tokyo throwing MP3 players at a 3rd world country and criticising them for liking Nickleback.

Don't be silly. Japan hasn't produced an even remotely marketable MP3 player since the turn of the century.

You're a cockney, you don't know s*** about our local rivalry. Jog on.

Have relatives and friends that live in the North-East, have been going up to Newcastle all my life.

I know about the local 'rivalry', and pity it.

knowing about it and understanding it appear to be completly different things then.

You have to be born here to really understand it. :thup:

I'll never truly understand it, I agree.

I could be wrong, but from what I've always been told the rivalry goes back to the English civil war. Newcastle was on the side of the crown, and Sunderland sided with the Parlimentarians - and then a load of s*** kicked off about coal and as a cause of that, you hate each other?

I've never lived anywhere where there is such hatred for people that live in a city 12 miles away, people of similar stock to yourselves... You'd think with so many people in this country ready to turn their noses up at the north-east, in disregard - there would at least be some brotherhood between the people of the region?

Couldn't give a f*** about the 'rivarly', it's primitive - f***ing medieval. Where else in the country do you think this goes on, to this kind of level? Its good to see that there are people who don't let this obsession rule their lives (know of a couple married for 20 years, one is a geordie, one is a mackem). Tbh, I'm bloody glad it's something I and those I care about, both now and in the future have never been cursed with.

Maybe if some of you guys moved out of the North-East you would see just how abnormal it is, and just how people outside of the North-East react to it?

What a load of s***.

Southampton and Portsmouth

Reading and Oxford and Swindon

Ipswich and Norwich

Derby and Nottingham

Swansea and Cardiff

Millwall and West Ham

Tottenham and Chelsea

Liverpool and Manchester (both clubs)

All of those hate each other with the same passion as Newcastle and Sunderland.

And of course if you went to a sophisticated, wealthy and well educated place like the Netherlands you would never find the citizens of two rival cities with a "hatred" and "obsession" for each other centred around their football teams.

No of course not, such "primitive" "medieval" behaviour exists only in the NE of England and if "some of you guys moved out of the North-East you would see just how abnormal it is"

Tit.

And of course if you went to a sophisticated, wealthy and well educated place like the Netherlands you would never find the citizens of two rival cities with a "hatred" and "obsession" for each other centred around their football teams.

No of course not, such "primitive" "medieval" behaviour exists only in the NE of England and if "some of you guys moved out of the North-East you would see just how abnormal it is"

Tit.

As I've reiterated many times now - I was not discussing the rivarly in terms of NUFC and SAFC.

I was talking about the role that this 'rivalry' has in some people's everyday lives...

How do you know the role it has if you're not living there though? (I don't either fwiw)

It's a football forum, the rivalry is primarily football related seeing as people have friends from Sunderland etc Not sure what else you'd expect.

How do you know the role it has if you're not living there though? (I don't either fwiw)

It's a football forum, the rivalry is primarily football related seeing as people have friends from Sunderland etc Not sure what else you'd expect.

Because I've spent enough time in Newcastle to see it first hand. Again, I was talking about the rivarly in footballing terms. I was discussing the hatred and obsession that SOME people have for the inhabitants of a town twelve miles away.

colocho's trying to make out like it's an overriding thing in peoples lives. in football terms it comes up now and again but no more so than elsewhere.

From what I've seen, it really can be...

colocho's trying to make out like it's an overriding thing in peoples lives. in football terms it comes up now and again but no more so than elsewhere.

you'll have to tell me what you've seen in your visits here that i haven't in 44yrs living here then.

you'll have to tell me what you've seen in your visits here that i haven't in 44yrs living here then.

Not much, I imagine.

is that as in not much you guess or not much you just imagine it all ?

Well seeing as you've lived there for 44 years, and I've probably spent the equivalent of about 4/5 months of my life in Newcastle - I imagine there isn't much that I've seen that you haven't...

Well seeing as you've lived there for 44 years, and I've probably spent the equivalent of about 4/5 months of my life in Newcastle - I imagine there isn't much that I've seen that you haven't...

it's just you make a lot of what you have seen in your visits to newcastle and i've never seen anything that way, thats why i asked you to describe in particular what it was.

it's just you make a lot of what you have seen in your visits to newcastle and i've never seen anything that way, thats why i asked you to describe in particular what it was.

This is going on way too long. The point I was originally trying to make, is I've never seen such animosity between the inhabitants of two different towns.

Guest Haris Vuckic
The point I was originally trying to make, is I've never seen such animosity between the inhabitants of two different towns.

Have you ever left your house?

For example pretty much every town and city in Yorkshire has a passionate hate for every other town and city in Yorkshire which often manifests itself violently.

The point I was originally trying to make, is I've never seen such animosity between the inhabitants of two different towns.

Have you ever left your house?

For example pretty much every town and city in Yorkshire has a passionate hate for every other town and city in Yorkshire which often manifests itself violently.

I'm glad that where I live, the vast majority of people aren't that pathetic.