Newcastle United 2 - 0 Nott'm Forest - 29/03/10 - post match reaction from p15

Dave

Not much to say that hasn't already been said but anyway:

First half was alright, we were comfortably the better team but our final ball was lacking. Not sure how much the conditions were disrupting things but the ball was noticeably slowing in areas of the pitch so I imagine dribbling and slick passing was harder than usual. In terms of chances, well Carroll outright refused his, from 10 yards I don't care if it's on his wrong foot just hit the fucking thing. Lovenkrands had one of those nights where nothing went right for him, and Carroll was wrestling with their centre half for the majority, so all in all chances were few and far between. Forest meanwhile showed no ambition and were looking to keep us at 0 and worry about nicking a goal later. Having said that, Blackstock had a great chance to make it 1-0 but he fluffed his lines completely.

Second half Forest showed some ambition which gave us more chance to use the pace of Routledge, but for some reason (probably the conditions as mentioned above) he kept cutting back inside where he does a lot of good work anyway. The goal was a bit fortunate in that Forest cleared it off their own man and Nolan played a simple ball to Shola who did all the hard work and on his left picked out the corner, good lad. Forest decided to bring plan B into operation and threw on Earnshaw, who despite scoring goals at this level forever was deemed benchworthy. A couple of half chances for us, Nolan on his left saved and Routledge - who is either deceptively strong or Forest are as weak as piss - with a decent effort straight at Camp. The second goal was brilliant, short corner to Jonas who looked like he was going to keep it in the corner, 4 Forest lads trotted over to try and get it back and 2 passes later they were all out the game and Enrique was beneath everyone. Job done and barring some sort of disaster, we'll be promoted over one of the Easter games. Hopefully we'll go on and take the title, WBA will probably push us all the way but we've got nothing to fear from our remaining games.

Alan Wiley is a really fussy wanker :lol: A particularly good example is a free kick he had taken 3 times because it wasn't taken from the exact spot about half way inside our own half, by us. Once we're back in the big time it'll be a shame to have our weekends ruined by egotistical fucknuts again.

Harper - Nout to do, couple of routine saves. Good starting positions tonight as well, a few times in the first half he was out like a shot.

Simpson - Didn't fancy attacking much, didn't do much massively wrong

Enrique - Legend. Glad he got his goal, let's hope he keeps this up

Williamson - Fantastic, contender for man of the match IMO. Lost nothing in the air and dominated our box

Coloccini - Solid again from our most improved player.

Routledge - Good in spells, been better, will be worse no doubt.

Jonas - Didn't have the beating of their fullback as much as he has in previous matches but always an outlet.

Nolan - Better than his usual shite but not great by any means, when he was last on the pile on I assumed Jose was dead

Guthrie - Drove us forward quite a bit first half but final ball was lacking. Corners were shite.

Lovenkrands - Not his night, but a willing runner.

Carroll - SHOOT MAN

Shola - Good finish, good assist, even worked hard after he'd scored. What annoys me is how long it takes him to get back onside after he's bothered to close down the keeper, then it comes back and he doesn't challenge and people go mental at him.

Hughton - Picked the best team we have available to us, and we play better football than we did 4 months ago. Keep it up.

Why the frig does he still wear the gumshield? :lol:

He probably doesn't want to lose his teeth is my guess.

How many players lose their teeth during a match like? It's hardly common.

obviously gumshields were a pointless invention then.

He wrecked his teeth against Wigan at SJP in the Roeder caretaker spell IIRC, been wearing the gumshield since.

I thought it was 50K for sure. The only gaps I could see were the whole of level 6 in the Leazers and a few in the Milburn - Gallowgate corner.

I agree. Definitely 50k, for me.

Delighted for Jose, well deserved his goal, but I thought he, Colo and Williamson were superb tonight. Going right off Simpson, though. If ever there was a weak leak...

Gives his man far too much space and doesn't have the anticipation of a Colo to block the incoming pass. His form has completely dipped since that motm performance at PNE. Needs to be replaced in the starting Xl.

Gives his man far too much space and doesn't have the anticipation of a Colo to block the incoming pass. His form has completely dipped since that motm performance at PNE. Needs to be replaced in the starting Xl.

Agree 100%. I was singing his praises after that PNE match, but he genuinely shouldn't be near the first XI.

There was quite a few empties at both the top left and right corners of the Gallowgate and obviously masses in the Milburn and some in the East Stand corner. Also I cant see from where I sit but is that sports bar thing in the Leazes still shut? If so that would account for a number.

Agree 100%. I was singing his praises after that PNE match, but he genuinely shouldn't be near the first XI.

http://web.mlsnet.com/images/2007/12/05/7HJCpY6K.jpg

would be good right back like, even gets forward more tbf

Agree. Would much rather him at RB. We'll see...

Just finished watching the game, thought we totally controlled it, we had to wait for the goal but really never in any danger from Forest. Disappointed with Forest, got to say, they did defend well for the early part of the game, but seemed to tire and from an attacking point of view they were atrocious. For a team that really needed to win to keep up their chances of auto promotion, they didn't do anywhere near enough, seemed intimidated and had virtually zero creativity.

I've been saying all week to anyone that's wanted to listen to me that if we beat Forest we are up, I think we are now, even though the mathematicians disagree, huge win in promotion terms, lets seal the deal in the next couple of games.

Guest Heneage

Something worried me tonight about Simpson, he was standing off, his man, he allowed him to cross it and thankfully it was cleared. At which point he high fived Routledge as if the defending he had just undertook was in some way good or successful, when in fact it was utterly horrendous.

I might get some stick here, but this was the first chance I really got to analyse Williamson for a full game. To me he seems a little ponderous and slow, he's big strong and physical and easily good enough for this division, I would worry though next year when he comes up against the likes of Tevez, Rooney and Torres.

I might get some stick here, but this was the first chance I really got to analyse Williamson for a full game. To me he seems a little ponderous and slow, he's big strong and physical and easily good enough for this division, I would worry though next year when he comes up against the likes of Tevez, Rooney and Torres.

to be fair, how many centre halves in the world are going to stand up to those three? he's looked more than capable at this level so i think he'll hold his own.

Williamson is slow on the ball at times, this is clearly true, but is he really any worse than Taylor? I don't think so, and he does the simple things better, imo.

he's better than taylor, if only for the fact that he's an absolute beast in the air, and if you're playing next to colo thats exactly what you need to be.

Watching today Colo's movement off of Williamson, he reacted very well predicting when Williamson is going to close down, etc. I think they have a very good understanding, and Colo can read his game comfortably. Personally, I'm much more comfortable with that CH pairing than the seemingly random Taylor and Colo.

Text of Davies' interview from .com

"I'd like to congratulate Chris, his staff and players and everybody at this football club. I'd like to wish them all the very best in their challenge in the Premier League.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

"All season they've been very resilient - they've showed a lot of good experience and they've done very well and obviously we would like to congratulate them. There's no doubt they have been very worthy winners in my opinion.  :clap:

"That doesn't mean I'm giving up on promotion because I think with six games left we are still in a real fight for second place with West Brom.

"But I firmly believe Newcastle will finish the job. They have the players, the experience, the momentum and the infrastructure in place. :clap2:

"They know how to win when they are not at their best. My young players haven't got the experience and the know-how

to do that yet - but we are still in there fighting."

This match told us a great deal about the management team as much as the players - clearly, Hughton and Calderwood had prepared the side well, both mentally and physically,for a potentially tricky game, fraught with pressures - this bodes well for their future as a pairing to take the side into the Prem.

The side hardly looked like losing this match, although I disagree about some of the comments on here about Forest ; they are a young side with some talented players and had they possessed a decent striker could well have caused us trouble before we scored - if Davies can keep his team together and add a few players, they will certainly be in the running for promotion next season, even if they were to miss it this time.

We simply had too much experience for them and in Enrique we have what one of the commentators called

'the best player in the Championship'. I was delighted for the lad because his goal was a fitting reward for his application and professionalism over the whole season ; he is without doubt one of the best foreign players ever to wear the B&W shirt, and probably the best foreign defender...our only problem with this boy will be keeping him...

Apart from Simpson, who underlined once again that we need a RB for the Prem,the rest of the players did all that could be asked of them - even Nolan pulled his finger out to contribute to a great team performance. Coloccini and Williamson were strong at the back, although the latter clearly lacks pace which will be exposed in the top flight.

I am not a great fan of Shola, but he took his goal brilliantly - it flattened Forest completely and may just be the most important and valuable goal he has scored for the club.

I have witnessed 3 promotions during my time following the club(this is the 4th), and although I will be far away when the side finally makes it, I hope you lads on here enjoy the moment just as I did in the past - we do not always agree on everything but I know all on here are fervent NUFC fans and deserve better than the club has provided over the past 6 years. The last 2 promotions were capped by 2 great home performances, a 5-1 win v Carlisle over Easter 1984, and that unforgettable 7-1 hammering of Leicester in May 1993 - lets hope Sheff U cop a similar one next Monday, but the main thing is to finish the job,

After that, there is still much hard work to be done for next season.

Best game I've seen this season, and Enrique made it a memorable game indeed. Hats off to Forest for coming up here and playing for it. Be happy enough to see Perch join us in the summer.

Agree - Perch is a fine prospect.

Text of Davies' interview from .com

"I'd like to congratulate Chris, his staff and players and everybody at this football club. I'd like to wish them all the very best in their challenge in the Premier League.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

"All season they've been very resilient - they've showed a lot of good experience and they've done very well and obviously we would like to congratulate them. There's no doubt they have been very worthy winners in my opinion.  :clap:

"That doesn't mean I'm giving up on promotion because I think with six games left we are still in a real fight for second place with West Brom.

"But I firmly believe Newcastle will finish the job. They have the players, the experience, the momentum and the infrastructure in place. :clap2:

"They know how to win when they are not at their best. My young players haven't got the experience and the know-how

to do that yet - but we are still in there fighting."

:clap: