How much will NUFC receive in the Summer

Guest rosstoon

Guest jonlane86

Little news in brief in The Times. Apparently Premier League clubs TV money is to go up between 2010-2013 thanks to new overseas TV deals. Takes the minimum money earned in a season by any team competing in the PL to £40 million. A good time to be promoted :)

hmm, i suspect that we will again be on telly probably 5th or 6th most, so we'll receive in the region of around 60M, our turnover next season could be in the region of over 100M with the new sponsorship and money received from player sales

I’m sure I read our wage bill for this season was £40m. If we’re bringing £100m next season the club will be rolling in cash.

We've still got debt, and most likely (and fairly imo) Ashley will probably take out his £25m that he invested when we were relegated.  Personally I'd like to clear the debt if we're in a position to do it, then look at building to finish 14th, but budgeting to finish 17th.

Also I think some people might be thinking a tad ambitiously re their predictions about sponsorship.  E.G. The original Northern Rock Sponsorship deal was £17m for 6 seasons, this one is performance related but I'm sure I read somewhere the top line is £1.5m a year.  Also can't see us going to Puma as a massive financial positive, and although I'm all for getting these 'marketing partners' I'm sceptical to the amount of revenue they're really bringing in.

Guest optimistic nit

we should be in a better financial position given that owen, martins, geremi, duff, cacapa and beye are off our books and butt hopefully will be. given our wage bills the season or two before being relegated these players must have all been on 60K or over (with owen on double that). thats about 400K a week in savings, probably more and quite frankly if i was offered any of those players on a free now the only ones i would take are duff, martins and beye, even then on less than they were here. We also lost given in jan who would have been on a lot, zog in jan and lovenkrands probably wont be on as much.

Little news in brief in The Times. Apparently Premier League clubs TV money is to go up between 2010-2013 thanks to new overseas TV deals. Takes the minimum money earned in a season by any team competing in the PL to £40 million. A good time to be promoted :)

hmm, i suspect that we will again be on telly probably 5th or 6th most, so we'll receive in the region of around 60M, our turnover next season could be in the region of over 100M with the new sponsorship and money received from player sales

I’m sure I read our wage bill for this season was £40m. If we’re bringing £100m next season the club will be rolling in cash.

We've still got debt, and most likely (and fairly imo) Ashley will probably take out his £25m that he invested when we were relegated.  Personally I'd like to clear the debt if we're in a position to do it, then look at building to finish 14th, but budgeting to finish 17th.

Also I think some people might be thinking a tad ambitiously re their predictions about sponsorship.  E.G. The original Northern Rock Sponsorship deal was £17m for 6 seasons, this one is performance related but I'm sure I read somewhere the top line is £1.5m a year.  Also can't see us going to Puma as a massive financial positive, and although I'm all for getting these 'marketing partners' I'm sceptical to the amount of revenue they're really bringing in.

Ashley won't be removing money from club revenue in my opinion, it would be PR suicide, he'll just be happy to not have to put anymore money in IMO.

The last shirt sponsorship was £25m on a five year contract (effectively £5m per season), but Shepherd recieved it all up front and blew it straight away which means we've been recieving no sponsorship money for years now.  The new deal is £2.5m a season for every year we're in the Premiership over the next four years, if we dropped back to the Championship that years sponsorship would drop to only £375k.  So the maximum amount we can get is £10m over the four years if we're in the Premiership every year and the minimum is £1.5m if we spent all four years outside of the Premiership.

Why I fear Newcastle won't survive in the Premier League unless Ashley puts his hand in his pocket

By Brian McNally

Clicky

Published 13:58 02/04/10

A Newcastle United fans' website ran an April Fools' Day spoof story claiming that owner Mike Ashley had sacked manager Chris Hughton on the eve of the impending return to the Premier League.

The fact that many fans were initially prepared to believe the hoax was further proof that the Toon Army has little faith in the men running their club.

Newcastle supporters have backed their team in amazing numbers this season as they strolled through their Championship programme, but the more astute among them know that this side will struggle in the top flight.

And, as they begin to celebrate their instant return to the Premier League, their delight will be tempered by the difficult job that lies ahead.

Suggestions that there is only £15million available to strengthen the squad for top-flight football does not augur well for next season.

If Ashley thinks Newcastle will survive on that kind of outlay he is kidding himself.

That sort of money would buy only one top-class Premier League striker and perhaps a decent midfielder and it is clear that Hughton needs to recruit around five or six players this summer.

And with Ashley hinting at a further cull of the remaining big earners at the club quantity becomes as big an issue as quality.

Newcastle have easily been the best and most consistent side in the Championship this season and Hughton deserves tremendous credit for masterminding the instant return to the top flight.

But even he will be well aware that there are not enough Premier League quality players in the squad to guarantee survival next season.

The size of the task can be gauged from the fact that neighbours Sunderland have spent in excess of £100million on players since winning promotion three years ago but are still anchored in the bottom half of the Premier League table.

If Newcastle are to be comfortable next season then Ashley must find ways of raising new investment if he is ruling out a sale.

The billionaire owner has made some poor business decisions since buying the club in 2007, but trying to keep Newcastle up on the cheap would be the worst of all.

Wonder what his HP is? ???

Why I fear Newcastle won't survive in the Premier League unless Ashley puts his hand in his pocket

By Brian McNally

Clicky

Published 13:58 02/04/10

A Newcastle United fans' website ran an April Fools' Day spoof story claiming that owner Mike Ashley had sacked manager Chris Hughton on the eve of the impending return to the Premier League.

The fact that many fans were initially prepared to believe the hoax was further proof that the Toon Army has little faith in the men running their club.

Newcastle supporters have backed their team in amazing numbers this season as they strolled through their Championship programme, but the more astute among them know that this side will struggle in the top flight.

And, as they begin to celebrate their instant return to the Premier League, their delight will be tempered by the difficult job that lies ahead.

Suggestions that there is only £15million available to strengthen the squad for top-flight football does not augur well for next season.

If Ashley thinks Newcastle will survive on that kind of outlay he is kidding himself.

That sort of money would buy only one top-class Premier League striker and perhaps a decent midfielder and it is clear that Hughton needs to recruit around five or six players this summer.

And with Ashley hinting at a further cull of the remaining big earners at the club quantity becomes as big an issue as quality.

Newcastle have easily been the best and most consistent side in the Championship this season and Hughton deserves tremendous credit for masterminding the instant return to the top flight.

But even he will be well aware that there are not enough Premier League quality players in the squad to guarantee survival next season.

The size of the task can be gauged from the fact that neighbours Sunderland have spent in excess of £100million on players since winning promotion three years ago but are still anchored in the bottom half of the Premier League table.

If Newcastle are to be comfortable next season then Ashley must find ways of raising new investment if he is ruling out a sale.

The billionaire owner has made some poor business decisions since buying the club in 2007, but trying to keep Newcastle up on the cheap would be the worst of all.

More bullshit "journalism".  Sunderland have wasted £100m so every other side need too, what about Birmingham?, Wigan?, Stoke?, Hull?  Not to mention the fact we're a much better side then the Sunderland side that was promoted from the Championship.

Guest jonlane86

Ashley won't be removing money from club revenue in my opinion, it would be PR suicide, he'll just be happy to not have to put anymore money in IMO.

The last shirt sponsorship was £25m on a five year contract (effectively £5m per season), but Shepherd recieved it all up front and blew it straight away which means we've been recieving no sponsorship money for years now.  The new deal is £2.5m a season for every year we're in the Premiership over the next four years, if we dropped back to the Championship that years sponsorship would drop to only £375k.  So the maximum amount we can get is £10m over the four years if we're in the Premiership every year and the minimum is £1.5m if we spent all four years outside of the Premiership.

I knew i'd heard something about £1.5m, and I thought the original deal was £17m because thats what Shepherd spent on Owen?

Either way it remains that the TV money doesn't arrive up front and although we'll be receiving some money in the summer for players that have been sold we wont be rolling in it as much as some believe.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah, but than you're fooling yourself that people who write this crap actually think beyond the initial idea they set out to write about. There's no such thing as Journalism these days, no one does the work to go out of their way spend an our researching what they're writing about and putting in motion. All the papers are these days are glorified blogs of shit and opinions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/06/mike-ashley-newcastle-chris-hughton

20-25m transfer budget and ashley cashing in some of the loans he gave

tbh sounds fair enough

£20-25m + money generated through transfers would be pretty good.  I don't know whether the remaining cash would be used to pay back loans to Ashley or whether it'd be used to cover the wages, etc. that Ashley's been covering with the loans to get the club running on an even keel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/06/mike-ashley-newcastle-chris-hughton

tbh sounds fair enough

£20-25m + money generated through transfers would be pretty good.  I don't know whether the remaining cash would be used to pay back loans to Ashley or whether it'd be used to cover the wages, etc. that Ashley's been covering with the loans to get the club running on an even keel.

transfer cash coming in installments from martins bassong etc might go to ashley to repay the loans then everything else to keeping the club running by itself

A couple of them have also said £15m

CHRIS Hughton will be ­handed a transfer kitty of just £15m this summer to keep newly-promoted Newcastle in the Premier League next season. Newcastle owner Mike Ashley and managing ­director Derek Llambias are bracing ­themselves for a battle for survival. But it is one they are convinced they can win with Hughton at the helm. News that Hughton will receive only a ­fraction of the funds most of his predecessors were given will dismay the Toon Army, many of whom feel substantial investment is ­required for Newcastle to stay up. But Ashley is determined to keep a tight rein on the club’s finances.

And even though promotion has earned the Geordies a £60m jackpot, such prudence means keeping a lid on wages and a recruitment drive limited to players under 26 – who won’t cost the earth and who have resale value. Though rumours persist that Ashley will once again put Newcastle up for sale again now the club’s value has soared, the ­sportswear magnate and Llambias have mapped out a strategy for the next three years. And their business plan is very much a ­step-by-step path towards re-establishing the club at the highest level. It is a policy born out of reality rather than idealism. Sources close to the pair say they have ­already written off Newcastle’s chances of ­challenging the Premier League’s top eight. Indeed, they accept that a mid-table finish could even prove beyond them.

But Ashley and Llambias believe that Hughton has already demonstrated enough managerial know-how this season to ensure Newcastle can be best of the rest next term. When talks with caretaker-boss Alan Shearer broke down in the days that followed ­relegation last May, ­Ashley turned to Hughton because there was no one else. His initial job was to hold the fort while the owner tried to flog the club. It was no ringing endorsement and the quietly-spoken coach was under no illusions. By October, with the club off the market and the team having confounded the doom-­mongers with their fine start to the campaign, Hughton was handed the manager’s job on a permanent basis, albeit with an 18-month contract. That deal will be renegotiated in the close-season with the Toon top brass set to reward the 51-year-old for successfully tackling a role many, possibly including Ashley himself, thought beyond him last summer. It took supporters until March to start ­chanting Hughton’s name, though the ovation he received following Monday night’s 2-1 win over Sheffield United was loud, warm and heartfelt. If doubts linger about his ability to manage at the highest level, they are no longer aired in public. Most fans have been won over by Hughton’s quietly-effective style. His influence as the boss has, for the most part, kept Newcastle off the front pages – no mean feat for a club where the players ­admitted life had become like a soap opera.

Those same players rallied behind Hughton even during that period when all their futures seemed so uncertain. Goalkeeper Steve Harper, who ­never hid his desire to see Shearer’s eight-game tenure ­extended, openly sings Hughton’s ­virtues. “He deserves all the plaudits really,” said Shearer’s sometime golf partner and ­Newcastle’s longest-serving player. “Given the circumstances which have been well documented, Chris has done a ­fantastic job at this club. To pull together a group of players who were very disappointed last season, and unite them and then get promotion at the first ­attempt, means he has more than earned the right to manage in the Premier League. He’s got to be given the opportunity to pit his wits against the best. If what he’s achieved doesn’t warrant a crack at the job, I don’t know what does.”

Harper, who admits the mental scars of ­relegation haven’t vanished, is one of those players that Hughton and the fans alike believe will handle the step up. But the consensus is that Newcastle need at least five new players to avoid a repeat of their disastrous 2008-09 campaign. Hughton’s transfer record so far has been good. Former Coventry striker Leon Best has yet to look the part but Wayne Routledge and Mike Williamson seem shrewd acquisitions. Danny Simpson has been generally sound while Hughton’s loan signings have all ­contributed to promotion. Despite achieving the quickest-ever ­promotion from second tier to Premier League, the players know fresh blood is needed. “It’s going to be an interesting summer because there will be changes,” said Jonas ­Gutierrez, one of several players who have much to prove at the higher level. “Some ­players will leave, some will come in and I’m sure the manager and the owner will talk about where the squad needs strengthening. Championship football is not something a club like Newcastle should have experienced but we are back where we belong and we want to show that next season.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/129745/Chris-Hughton-handed-just-15m-to-keep-Newcastle-in-Premier-League/

If true, it sounds like Ashley has a sensible plan. Can't believe I've just said that.

tbh sounds fair enough

IF we could get 8m for Taylor(or Coloccini for that matter), I would be reasonably happy with 25m on top.

This would give Hughton the chance to bring in around 4-5 decent players who may just tip the balance in keeping us up.

Knocking McNally's article simply because he IS a prat and a Mackem to boot does not detract from the fact that much of it is correct - most realistic fans DO know that 15m is not going to be enough to keep this team in the Prem. We are lacking in all key areas of the side when competing at the top level...we need a RB, a Prem quality central MFielder, a Prem quality striker and also, in my view,the best prem quality CD we can get. For a striker such as Pavyluchenko, as has been mentioned, you will be lucky to get change from 10m because Spurs(and all other clubs)are well aware that we need players to survive.

That would leave 23 mil to spend on 3 other positions.....

Incidentally, whilst I agree that Dorrans would be an excellent buy for the club we have very little chance of signing him ; would YOU sell, say, Enrique to WBA after we have just gone up !? Their fans would go ballistic. Also, Man C are reported to be interested in the player and they would have far more chance with the type of money they would put on the table.

Dorrans was signed by WBA from Partick a few years ago - maybe we should be examining our scouting network in Scotland - and elsewhere.

tbh sounds fair enough

Merlin

Some good points there but for one, I doubt we could get the Russian because he doesnt fit into our financial plan. We are more liklely to go for Beckford again or maybe the lad from Bristol City.

As for your other areas of concern, it is agreed that we needd to bring players in such as maybe O'Hara as a creative midfielder or possibly someone like Scott Brown from Celtic.

IF we could get 8m for Taylor(or Coloccini for that matter), I would be reasonably happy with 25m on top.

This would give Hughton the chance to bring in around 4-5 decent players who may just tip the balance in keeping us up.

Knocking McNally's article simply because he IS a prat and a Mackem to boot does not detract from the fact that much of it is correct - most realistic fans DO know that 15m is not going to be enough to keep this team in the Prem. We are lacking in all key areas of the side when competing at the top level...we need a RB, a Prem quality central MFielder, a Prem quality striker and also, in my view,the best prem quality CD we can get. For a striker such as Pavyluchenko, as has been mentioned, you will be lucky to get change from 10m because Spurs(and all other clubs)are well aware that we need players to survive.

That would leave 23 mil to spend on 3 other positions.....

Incidentally, whilst I agree that Dorrans would be an excellent buy for the club we have very little chance of signing him ; would YOU sell, say, Enrique to WBA after we have just gone up !? Their fans would go ballistic. Also, Man C are reported to be interested in the player and they would have far more chance with the type of money they would put on the table.

Dorrans was signed by WBA from Partick a few years ago - maybe we should be examining our scouting network in Scotland - and elsewhere.

Guest Roger Kint

20-25 million sounds like a decent enough transfer kitty. It's not going to set the world alight but we should be able to get a decent number of premiership players plus - and most importantly - a decent striker!

While the guardian, home of a certain bullshitting mackem says that several papers point to £15m which is closer to home i feel

After what happened in January I doubt anyone knows the real figure Hughton will be given. The club kept their cards very close to their chests, ocassionally mentioning figures of £1m and talking about loan deals, and then spent around £5m.

They'd be daft to start announcing transfer budgets because it allows other clubs to hold us to ransome so I don't think we'll ever know. I just hope we're going to be pleasantly surprised.

After what happened in January I doubt anyone knows the real figure Hughton will be given. The club kept their cards very close to their chests, ocassionally mentioning figures of £1m and talking about loan deals, and then spent around £5m.

They'd be daft to start announcing transfer budgets because it allows other clubs to hold us to ransome so I don't think we'll ever know. I just hope we're going to be pleasantly surprised.

I like the clubs policy of keeping everything to it's chest, it seems always give us some nice surprises. I feel 20~25million is a good budget for the first season back in the Premiership.

I like the clubs policy of keeping everything to it's chest, it seems always give us some nice surprises. I feel 20~25million is a good budget for the first season back in the Premiership.

The Routledge signing completely out of the blue was brilliant. Totally unexpected but very welcome!